• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Make aliens *like* you?

I wonder if friendly Aliens may have an enhanced effect on continent or pangea maps where they can effectively add a lot of friction/speed bumps to enemy faction units trying to reach you overland...assuming the enemy has not befriended the aliens as well.

That is bad... it means there is still a penalty for having them in your territory.
Blue aliens should act like they are Open Borders (or act like Peace and not enter your territory)

build the fence, no aliens in your territory... yes they are still in the wilds around your cities, but they leave you alone... and your trade vessels alone. The aliens still attack the other factions though... a win win for me.

The (massive) trade off is having untapped xenomass in your territory
and putting up with alien attacks for a large number of turns

no attacks from aliens if you don't attack them first, and stay 2 hexes away from the nest... get two nests in you territory, then you can remove one of the nest on the xenomass, with no penalty for killing an alien or two.

Can't really put that xenomass to use in the early game anyway..

I can foresee some wild MP games pivoting around who can most successfully pit the Aliens against the other players...and who can wipe out the Aliens before that can happen.

yep, and the friendly aliens keep the other factions from colonizing those areas, until you are ready to...

Except the aliens are only as strong as level 2 units, as soon as you get the affinity units or level 3, the aliens are pushovers.
(even siege worms are worthless with move 1)

Except the aliens are only as strong as level 2 units, as soon as you get the affinity units or level 3, the aliens are pushovers.
(even siege worms are worthless with move 1)

if you are taking that long to settle the area, the other faction deserves to beat the aliens and take the spot from you. Early game, friendly aliens help you, and hinder the AI.

In the most recent build, aliens seem to go extra docile across the board (light blue icons) if you "befriend" them by taking nests into your borders and waiting a relatively small number of turns.

I don't like it.

Such a thing should not be possible unless you've delved a fair bit down the Harmony path.

In the most recent build, aliens seem to go extra docile across the board (light blue icons) if you "befriend" them by taking nests into your borders and waiting a relatively small number of turns.

I don't like it.

Such a thing should not be possible unless you've delved a fair bit down the Harmony path.

He had to wait 50 turns or so, not exactly a short amount of time. And chances are you won't start with an alien nest that close to you. You would likely have to go out and settle an outpost close to one and hope it doesn't get destroyed before it can turn into a city. And then you still have to get ultrasonic fence up so you are able to safely improve tiles while you wait ATLEAST 50 turns for the aliens to go blue, longer if you have been pestering them.

It also really slowed down his exploration and channeled his early expansion away from the nest. If he'd been unlucky enough to have a nest to the SE as well, he would have had a much harder time of it.

Felt a lot less than 50 turns, but you may be right. At any rate, I dislike the aliens being that controllable right off the bat. :sad:

Felt a lot less than 50 turns, but you may be right. At any rate, I dislike the aliens being that controllable right off the bat. :sad:

I don't think it was a comprehensive look at the phenomenon, since there were no other factions on the same landmass busy butchering Aliens while MadDjinn was trying to keep them happy. My guess is if the Aliens got their communal rage built up about humans killing them off nearby, that would make it much harder to get them to go blue in your territory.

Of course I can't prove this hypothesis until I get the game or some preview video demonstrates it.

I thought so too, but he got the hex pretty quick off his capital and it was 50+ when they went blue.

Buying the alien nest tile was possible because he chose retrograde and settled towards nest.(although he didn't know that) Normally it would be impossible to buy the nest tile and you'll have to do that with your second city, and 50 turns from there doesn't sound too fast IMO.

I wander what happens when there is no more space on a landmass and you have the +3 fence. If your city range covers every tile, will the aliens get pushed to a different landmass or just deleted?

I wander what happens when there is no more space on a landmass and you have the +3 fence. If your city range covers every tile, will the aliens get pushed to a different landmass or just deleted?
Probably uses the same logic as a unit that gets trapped by expanding national borders (it would get pushed to the other side of the border or to a different landmass).

... That would be an improbably complicated and expensive option, but the idea of buying a handful of tiles at once to launch a wave of pissed off red-icon aliens into someone's 'safe' side of their continent, where they never built a fence is hilarious

Top Bottom