Making CivAssist Work Under Vista

milr

Warlord
Più Freddo;8901691 said:
no XP like at work, so no CivAssist. Does any of the older tools (Crp, ...) work under Vista?

CivAssist will run under both Vista and W7. Must set XP compatibility mode & run with admin privilege. Got this info from a CIV tech thread. If you try setup & still have trouble, I can check my Vista machine for exact accomodations I had to make.

Indeed, I'm running CivAssist2 on Vista. But it wasn't easy, and I can't remember exactly how I did it - certainly there wasn't much logic involved, but a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of the .net framework. :( For may months I had given up entirely and gone back to MapStat, which worked just fine.

Più Freddo;8901691 said:
I've accepted a redundancy payment and so only have a Vista computer at home, no XP like at work, so no CivAssist.
I got it to work ok on Vista and others have done so as well: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8788775&postcount=978

Più Freddo;8901691 said:
The combined victory sound like a good idea and tribute to the old elite. We'll never be as good as they were.

Well, some of klarius' results (and others, don't want to make this list too long...) may have been similar impressive. But in my opinion the big difference is: today we can read everything in the Military Academy and then go ahead and produce great games with that knowledge. But these guys had to invent and investigate everything from scratch!! :bowdown:

PaperBeetle decribes it very nicely in his signature: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Doh. I missed that i should have looked it up there.

Sorry.

BTW, i am having Some Trouble with civassist, As i cannot Display distance rings, but on the other Hand See Land that isn't there???

Capital letters are just because the iPhone wants it that Way ...

Templar_x

I've copied these posts out of the GOTM100 pre-game discussion so that issues/responses related to CivAssist operation can be openly discussed. I haven't been able to use CivAssist under Vista myself, so I'm no help.

i maybe should have pointed out that this peculiar CA-behaviour appears *only* in the GOTM100 so far...

it´s not a big deal, as the program still allows me to set the "planned city cites", so i see where the corruption zones lie. just wanted to know whether anyone else experienced that.

templar_x

I use CA2 under Vista and it works fine though I did have some issues in getting it to work. There is a good summary "guide" by Darski on this but I cannot find it right now.

IIRC the following issues need to be addressed:

1. Instal .Net framework 1.1.
2. Disable user account control.
3. Run CA2 via the command "Run as administrator" (right click menu).
4. Avoid installing the .Net 1.1 hotfix/patch as that will break everything again.

I would just like to thank Lanzelot, as thanks to his information I have finally got CivassistII to work under Vista

What is that and what can i do?

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 573
What is that and what can i do?

If you don't know what that is ("exception", "JIT debugger"), then there is nothing you can do. If it happens only occasionally, then you can probably live with it. If it happens all the time, then there's something wrong with you installation and you can try uninstalling and installing again following all the instructions in this thread.

I found CivAssist II didn't work very well under Vista, but under Windows 7 I have had less problems except that I have to confirm that the program runs as administrator every time. Just as for Civ itself, since I use the standard file locations.

Shortly after posting my last message, I installed Internet Explorer 9 at home, started CivAssist II and got exactly those error messages! My CivAssist II installation had worked like a dream until then.

The second time I started CivAssist II the messages didn't come. A difference was that I had started Civ itself by then.

I did notice, that the graphics of both programs were slightly different after the installation of Internet Explorer 9. These people behave as if they own everyone's computer.

Guys,

I had CAII working on Win7 for about a year without a problem and then out of the blue, about 4 months ago, I also got the above error messages. I have tried uninstalling, re-installing but I always get the same messages.

CivIII without CAII is not the same. I have not even tried to play a GOTM/COTM since this problem occurred, and limit myself to a single PBEM.

If anyone could advise me how to get CAII up and running again I would be very grateful.

Scratcher

Could it be that the IE 9 installation upgrades the .NET 1.1 Framework?!
Can you check, whether your version is still at 1.1.4322? ("Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs")

Lanzelot, thanks for trying to help. :thumbsup: I have checked and I still have version 1.1.4322 installed. I also suspect that a previous microsoft update is the cause of the issue.

Underneath "Mircosoft.net Framework 1.1" in the program list is "microsoft.net Framework 4 Client Profile". Do you have this?

Scratcher

My .NET installation is still at 1.1.4322 after installing IE9. I've gotten the message only once and then never again. I guess there must be another problem.

Underneath "Mircosoft.net Framework 1.1" in the program list is "microsoft.net Framework 4 Client Profile". Do you have this?

I have the Client Profile and the "... Extended". They were both installed on the 18th. I started playing COTM83 on the 19th. IE9, and nothing else, was installed on the 21st, and then I had the messages.

Did you try starting CAII after Civ was already started?

Perhaps an access control problem? I assume you are running civassist.exe in admin mode and XP compatibility mode? In addition please check this:
"Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> .Net Framework 1.1 Wizards -> Adjust .Net Security -> Make changes to this computer"

"My Computer" should be set to "Full Trust" in that screen.

Thanks for the information in this thread. I've now got it running.

Perhaps an access control problem? I assume you are running civassist.exe in admin mode and XP compatibility mode? In addition please check this:
"Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> .Net Framework 1.1 Wizards -> Adjust .Net Security -> Make changes to this computer"

"My Computer" should be set to "Full Trust" in that screen.

I checked and this doesn't work either. Should i try uninstalling CAII and net framework? and start from the beginning?

Scratcher

Top Bottom