Making CivAssist Work Under Vista

Might help... one never knows...
But my gut feeling says that it's probably not a CAII problem. "Something else" must have changed e.g. due to an auto-update of some Windows component, etc. (Perhaps a "patch" for the .NET Framework, that didn't change the version number?! In that case a complete uninstall/reinstall might help, but I've already seen other people on the CAII thread who said it didn't help in their case. :()

Update 2013-12-01: As seen in the next post, ainwood has rereleased CAII so that it works with .NET 3.5 which works with Win7 through Win8.1 without modification or extra downloads. The process in the video shown below quit working for Win8/Win8.1 sometime in the past few months, and it is no longer needed for Win7/Vista if you use the latest CAII download.
-----
I just noticed this sticky thread here and think it needs a link to the CivAssist II thread (go to the last pages for the latest updates) and an update on how some people are making it work in Windows Vista, 7 and 8.

I install Civ3 and CAII in alternate folders outside of Program Files and find that avoids several problems with VirtualStore and other security enhancements that clash with Civ3.

Also, here is the .NET redistributable package (dotnetfx) required for CAII.

Besides installing in an alternate folder I also run in WinXP compatibility mode. In Windows 8 I find that this slows CAII down a lot and running as administrator is fast, but it is not a good idea to run things as administrator. :nono:

This video shows me installing .NET 1.1, installing CAII in an alternate location and setting compatibility mode in Windows 7.

Link to video.

FYI:
I have posted an updated version compiled using the .NET Framework v3.5, which means it should run OK under Win7 (and maybe even win8 - I don't have it, so I haven't tried). A few other tweaks as well.
Get the latest version >>HERE<<

If you have any problems or any comments, please post them in the Civ3 Utilities Thread - I am subscribed to that, and get emailed updates.

Can anybody tell me why Civ Assist II don't show territory domination stats? CivAssist 1 & MapStat works fine.

Attachments

• civass2_nodom.gif
    civass2_nodom.gif
    34.3 KB · Views: 129
Hm, strange. Perhaps the Domination victory condition has been disabled in this game?

I assume, this is a save from GOTM146, right?
@templar_x: can you please check the bix file of your game, and see whether all victory conditions are active?

Hm, strange. Perhaps the Domination victory condition has been disabled in this game?

I assume, this is a save from GOTM146, right?
Yeah. And suddenly, then things goes to close to limit (<200 tiles) it start works fine. Strange indeed, and I see similar behavior in my previous (145) GOTM as well.

My system is XP and I had no troubles with getting it to work.

PS: I just loaded the gotm_147_ptw.sav in CivAssistII and got the following error message:
"Unknown save file version. Please make sure your PtW installation is patched to the latest level."

But I can't reproduce it. Now it apparently works fine.

Edit: perhaps you better report this in the CAII thread: then the developer could check, whether CAII has a problem with save files generated from the GOTM.bix.

I am having some problems running Civ Assist 2.

I have recently intalled the latest version of Civ Assist 2, I am running Windows 10 and have a steam version of Civ III Complete installed.

Civ Assist is installed in C/myname/games/ civ assist.exe
Civ III complete is installed in C/myname/games/steam/steamapps/common/ sid meier's civ III complete

When I start the program (run as admin) I get the following error message:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit the application will close immediately.

Value cannot be null
Parameter name path1"

So here are the issues I have with Civ Assist 2.

1) Why am I getting this error message on opening the programme?

2) When Civ Assist 2 is running I am able to manually load PTW save files from the PTW auto save file. But when I play a C3C game and I manually load a save from the C3C auto save file I get the following error message "Cannot open... file path..... Access is blocked.". So why is Civ Assist only working for PTW games but not C3C games? - Edit - I managed to fix this by changing a part of the file path from "Sid Meier's Civilizataion III complete" to "Civ III". So I guess it was a problem with the length of the file path.

3) Years ago when I used CA2 under Windows XP, CA2 would automatically load the auto save file of the game. But now i need to manually pick the auto save each turn to read the aterts / access the information. Why are the save files not loading automtically each turn?

4) Again, when I had CA2 working on Windows XP, when I played Civ III there was a small CA2 box which I could click on to get the information. Is this feature still available? Have I missed something to get the samll box?

5) Again, when I had CA2 working on Windows XP, when I went to the alerts and for example it said Rome will riot next turn, or Paris has just grown. If i clicked on the city name it would take me to the city, making it easy to find. This feature doesnt seem to be working now. Have I missed something to get this feature to work?

Any assistance on the above, particularly for 2, would be appreciated.

Scratcher

Last edited:
Top Bottom