1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Man Dies After Police Thought Stroke Was Refusing To Comply

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Jul 7, 2013.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Sounds like enough grounds for manslaughter charges to me.

2. Gamemaster77

Gamemaster77 PC > Mac

Yeah. I mean "you can't aim it, and two it'll eject a shell casing right into your face. See!"

Spoiler OT Video :

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Strikes me as medical malpractice in the least, and possibly a race-based mistreatment.

4. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Small towners deserve to die or they refuse to pay for their very lives. Which is it?

5. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

That sounds like a waste of money. Let's say you need three RNs (for three shifts) at a rate of $65,000 / yr /ea for each jail. At that rate, you would need to have an incident with a payout similar to this more than once every six years for it to be cost effective. That seems like an unlikely frequency of this sort of event.

I would much rather that money be used towards public education or, if it had to stay generally in the justice system, community policing and outreach.

6. dido

dido Prince

I believe the problem here is not insufficient medical staff, but the quality of the staff. They are clearly not doing their job

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I don't even know what you're asking here. Did I anywhere say or even imply that small towners deserve to die? Nope. And what you mean by, "refuse to pay for their very lives" totally escapes me. Clarification, please.

8. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Fortunately, the laws which govern us aren't yet completely determined by such notions of what constitutes a "waste of money". That the proper care of even those who are found guilty of crimes, much less those who have merely been arrested, isn't callously computed on the basis of how often their relatives may sue once they die horrible deaths due to incompetence and general lack of compassion.

Jail health care always a challenge — and pricey

I find it ironic that inmates receive far better healthcare than tens of millions of Americans due to such absurd priorities over how "cost effective" they are to many right-wingers.