Map Resources Ideas and Discussion

Other unrelated things I have noticed is that despite the XML stating Forests are not allow on Permafrost and Ice, I am stilling see forest show up on those terrain types. Is this getting overridden or altered somewhere else that anyone knows of?

Other future Ideas:

Tropical Forest feature: the more healthy version of jungle. Jungle has two main trees palm and small tree, as its art model components. Savanna just reuses these graphics, both trees, and reduced density. A Tropical forest could use the small trees (an no palms) but at the original density for distinct look.

New Bonus Ideas:
Gems were split into Diamonds, Sapphires, and Rubies (and perhaps Amber)
The original Gems resource is no no longer a map resource.

Spices are on their way, currently Vanilla is carved but of but could use more Flora specific types, and then Spices itself need not be a dedicated map resource. (we do have seasoning as a manufactured resource though)

Accoring to some of what I could find (pg. 16 & 25) on which spices are the most common trades goods

"The top varieties by value were capsicum and pimento (chilli peppers, cayenne, paprika and allspice) accounting for about 20% of total world trade in spices, followed by black/white pepper (17%) , vanilla (14%), ginger (10.5%), ‘other’ spices (6.5%), mixed spices (5%), cinnamon (4.4%), cloves (4%), and cumin and nutmeg (2.8% each)."

I think the most recognizable spices would be Chili Peppers (farm improvement), Black Pepper (plantation improvement), Ginger (farm) and Cinnamon (orchard/plantation/grove?). (we already have Vanilla)

Anyway, just ideas for now...

We have talked about splitting the spices already. Nutmeg was going to be next on the list, but we have not found a good map graphic for it. Also if we had other spices then the base game "Spices" would be renamed "Cinnamon" since that's what the resource most looks like. Note the Nutmeg was picked due to its historical significance in the Spice Islands.

Note we already did this with Dyes, by splitting it up into Indigo, Henna and Murex.

More BonusInfo Tweaks

Feature Rainwater Basin is now valid for Parrots, Fine Clay and Papyrus

Attachments

• Feb14_CIV4BonusInfos.7z
    11.4 KB · Views: 41
I have put it all on the SVN.

The script still does
the coast and ocean split into tropical, temperate and polar

Goody islands, kelp and reefs.​

It used to add the cactus feature and the seal and walrus bonuses.

I am modifying SEM - how do I get hold of the program that converts coast to tropical coast and what is it called. I can download SVN updates to c2c, but that is all currently.

I think the most recognizable spices would be Chili Peppers (farm improvement), Black Pepper (plantation improvement), Ginger (farm) and Cinnamon (orchard/plantation/grove?). (we already have Vanilla)

Anyway, just ideas for now...

Cinnamon could probably use the same improvement as resin or rubber. They are all about bark/sap rather than fruit or leaves of plants.

Can anyone see the vanilla map resource in sevopida correctly? It is blank for me except for the button. I've looked over all the files and can't figure out what is not making it appear properly.

Can anyone see the vanilla map resource in sevopida correctly? It is blank for me except for the button. I've looked over all the files and can't figure out what is not making it appear properly.

Same here but i get an Python error. From the error location it looks like an Art problem.

Same here but i get an Python error. From the error location it looks like an Art problem.

One easily fixed or problems with the models & textures?

If not easily fixable, can we temporarily point it to working art data even if it is the wrong one so that the data for the resource will show up properly in sevopedia before release?

Updated BonusInfos again:

Changed Reveal and Enable techs for the Olives Resource from Orchards & Fermentation to Gathering and Gathering.
(This means that the original Olive Gathering and Olive Picking Camps were probably never used, unless the player chose to built obsolete improvements. Building Olive Orchards & Orchard improvements would have been enabled at the same time Olives would have first been revealed on the map.

Flax can now appear on Rainwater Basin. (and FeatureTerrains that Rainwater basin can appear on.)

Opium can now appear on Scrub terrain.

Both the above changes also helping spawning consistency as the new Desert camp can spawn Opium and the Wetlands Camp can spawn Flax.

Attachments

• Feb16_CIV4BonusInfos.7z
    11.4 KB · Views: 50

If not easily fixable, can we temporarily point it to working art data even if it is the wrong one so that the data for the resource will show up properly in sevopedia before release?

I think there is something wrong with the models or textures because everything else looks fine.

Updated BonusInfos again:

Changed Reveal and Enable techs for the Olives Resource from Orchards & Fermentation to Gathering and Gathering.
(This means that the original Olive Gathering and Olive Picking Camps were probably never used, unless the player chose to built obsolete improvements. Building Olive Orchards & Orchard improvements would have been enabled at the same time Olives would have first been revealed on the map.

I Never use "Hide Obsolete Buildings" in BUG and therefore use both the Gathering and/or Picking camps and/or stone camps.

There is an associated problem, sometimes the "obsolete" building gives a better result than the "modern/updated" building. Just had a building that gave +3 hammer if I used the "newest" building, while the "obsolete" building gave +3 hammer and +1 Gold. :hmm:Which one would you build?

If I remember which buildings have this problem I'll post you a list here.

JosEPh

If you change the art define for the bonus to one that works and then the pedia shows it then we know there is something wrong with the art define. However the bonus is working fine in game which suggests something wrong in the XML for the bonus definition or the game text possible the pedia game text.

Swapping the art defines worked.

So going further, making the NIF and the KFM point to something else (sugar in the case) made the art define for vanilla work.

SO something is wrong with the vanilla.nif and/or vanilla.kfm files. Looking at the path they use it seems they do not exist, unless they are packed into some other larger file. Can someone else confirm this is the case? Did a vanilla.nif and kfm file ever exist?

This problem may have also caused vanilla to never appear on the map, and those art files are also the resource graphics on the map. Does anyone ever recall a game that had the vanilla resource in play? I don't recall ever seeing it generate but I was never explicitly looking for it before.

DH, I still don't see the new version of BonusInfo attached a few posts prior in the SVN. Didn't get to it yet or did you have concerns with the changes?

Also it would be good to alter the Art Define for Vanilla as mentions above, to for example point to sugar.nif and kfm. Otherwise, if the vanilla files have been found, can someone who knows how to edit those types of files look at them? (I can't find them separately, but would they get packed in an fpk?)

DH, I still don't see the new version of BonusInfo attached a few posts prior in the SVN. Didn't get to it yet or did you have concerns with the changes?

Also it would be good to alter the Art Define for Vanilla as mentions above, to for example point to sugar.nif and kfm. Otherwise, if the vanilla files have been found, can someone who knows how to edit those types of files look at them? (I can't find them separately, but would they get packed in an fpk?)

I thought I had done them all. There were a lot of files and I was just back so I may have missed it. I think I must have missed that post entirely.

Vanilla is working fine in game, just not in the pedia.

Everything except movies and Great People screens get put in the FPK files. The F stands for Firaxis and not only reduces the size of the download but also increases game speed slightly.

Top Bottom