[Map Script] PerfectWorld.py

Minor bug I encountered when I was using PerfectWorld 1.13 with Fall Further:
Code:
            if [COLOR="Red"]gc.getTechInfo(buildInfo.getTechPrereq())[/COLOR].getEra() > game.getStartEra():
                if debugOut: print "Tech era not high enough for %(s)s" % {"s":impInfo.getType()}
                continue

Some BuildInfos don't have a tech prerequisite in Fall Further and make PerfectWorld's getPlotPotentialValue function crash at line 2773. I think, you should add a check for "-1" in case you are going to reuse this function in PerfectWorld 2.

so you are getting an error when I try to call getEra on no technology?

Minor bug I encountered when I was using PerfectWorld 1.13 with Fall Further:
Code:
            if [COLOR="Red"]gc.getTechInfo(buildInfo.getTechPrereq())[/COLOR].getEra() > game.getStartEra():
                if debugOut: print "Tech era not high enough for %(s)s" % {"s":impInfo.getType()}
                continue

Some BuildInfos don't have a tech prerequisite in Fall Further and make PerfectWorld's getPlotPotentialValue function crash at line 2773. I think, you should add a check for "-1" in case you are going to reuse this function in PerfectWorld 2.

Ok I get it. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still polishing things for 2.0.

I just skimmed all 32 pages of this post so please forgive me if my question has already been answered.

Experience suggests that the AI has more difficulty playing effectively on some map types than others. Does PW have any effect on how well the AI plays?

I just skimmed all 32 pages of this post so please forgive me if my question has already been answered.

Experience suggests that the AI has more difficulty playing effectively on some map types than others. Does PW have any effect on how well the AI plays?

In my experience listening to comments, it tends to be a bit harder on the player. I get the harshest criticism from people playing the higher difficulty levels, and today in fact I hope to have a solution for that.

Also, there's a different thread for PW2, the latest version is 2.03. Hopefully 2.04 tonight.

"To use this map, put it in your Civilization IV/PublicMaps folder, not in your My Documents/My Games..."

Sorry to sound like a complete noob but I can't find the first folder :blush:

Will it not work in the latter? I can't find the former if i extract with winRAR when I've downloaded...

"To use this map, put it in your Civilization IV/PublicMaps folder, not in your My Documents/My Games..."

Sorry to sound like a complete noob but I can't find the first folder :blush:

Will it not work in the latter? I can't find the former if i extract with winRAR when I've downloaded...

It's been years since I posted in this thread, much less played Civ4, but I think that statement is no longer true. I think you can put in My Documents etc. but that's just a fuzzy memory. In any case different versions changed that behavior but I can't remember exactly how.

EDIT: Also, there's a PerfectWorld2 that you might like better that was maintained for some years after this version of PW. See the first post on this thread for the link.

I just got back to playing Civ IV - I used to play Fractals most of the time but I think I'm liking this one more. Is Standard size larger than normal though?

P.S. I don't know how the map ended up in my game - must have been from BUG/BULL/BAT.

I just got back to playing Civ IV - I used to play Fractals most of the time but I think I'm liking this one more. Is Standard size larger than normal though?

P.S. I don't know how the map ended up in my game - must have been from BUG/BULL/BAT.

I would recommend version 2 (see first post). It's more refined and thought out.

On Earth, deserts are mainly on the western end of continents. Just look at how much more arid Western North America and South America are compared to the Eastside at the same latitudes.

The process is the same in Africa, compare Namibia to Mozambique. And on the Eurasian/African land-mass of the northern hemisphere, the Sahara is at the same latitude as Southern China and there are huge differences in precipitation.

Even in Australia, you can see that the Western side is more arid than the eastern side.

I would say that being on the westside of a continent is a bigger determination of aridity than even latitude.

If you are on the westside of a continent and at about 25 degrees latitude the you are guaranteed to be in a desert, even when you are right on the coast, regardless of rainshadow and mountain effects. Whereas if you were on the east of a continent you probably would not be in desert.

Not sure why that is, is it something to do with prevailing winds?

Anyway, is that westside aridity factor included in your climate modeler?

Another thing I have noticed is that the west coasts of continents tend to have rougher oceans than the eastside. The westside of continents is where you tend to see big waves and lots of surfing, the eastcoast is where you see calm, crystal clear waters, undisturbed coral reefs etc. Even less sure why that would be....

I studied the problem quite a bit while I was making this map script, and deserts are caused by convection from geostrophic(prevailing) winds and also sometimes there are rain shadows on the leeward side of mountain ranges. The best places to see these effects are in South America. In southern S.A. deserts are on the east side while just north of there the situation is reversed. This is due to the shift in the prevailing wind and also that the Andes mountains cause a large rainshadow.

Basically, moisture comes from large bodies of water and is carried by the wind. Where that is difficult, you get deserts. At the 30 degree mark, warm winds collide and rise upward, carrying away moisture. Also, some land areas are just very isolated from large bodies of water like the Taklamakan desert.

This map script models geostrophic winds, monsoon winds and any resulting rain shadows.

OK I have done some research and found the answer to both of my questions. The reason why the western side of continents have deserts and rough seas and the eastern side have crystal clear, calmer waters with those iconic white sand beaches are both due to ocean currents and a process called upwelling.

On the west coast of continents the current comes from the polar regions towards the equator bringing cold water which keeps sea temperature down and moisture away from the land. Look at Atacama Desert in Chile and in Peru, it is not caused by rain shadow because it is on the Oceanside of the Andes, not the other way around, it is caused by upwelling.

Look at the map below, most of the coastal deserts of the world coincide with the blue arrows, indicating cold water currents. All of those tropical white sand beaches and coral reefs coincide with the red arrows, indicating warm ocean currents.

Anyway the resulting map screenshots that have been included in the thread do not mimic the preponderance of deserts on the west side of continents....

I like this map a lot but I find it's sometimes it's harder to play than, say, Terra due to its realistic design. Resources of one kind are only found on one landmass, and terrain of one type can extend for a long distance, so you can end up with an empire with copious production but poor commerce, or vice versa until the mid game atleast.

Also, specific luxury resources being concentrated in only one area of the map means you will probably only have one in your borders until astronomy, two if lucky. You will have cities with a low happy cap unless you run HR and create happiness from a lot of fortified city units. Or you run a very diplomatic game and trade around people for resources :D

Either way I find teching and advancing is slightly slower than in the vanilla maps due to its realistic nature.

Top Bottom