1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] SmartMap

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by surt, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dreiche2

dreiche2 Chieftain

ok I posted my modified version here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183924

If you disagree with that, let me know, I'll take it down then.

2. X_MasterDave_X

X_MasterDave_X Chieftain

same problem here with Warlords....

How do i get a normal coastline. Everything i choose, the shore is the same. Looks like norwegian fjords... :(

3. Enkidu_Warrior

Enkidu_Warrior Shaman

Hey Surt - Loving smart map, thanks so much for making it. Although I don't use many of the controls, the few that I do like tweaking allow me to customise the game experience to my personal liking, which has been a real blessing.

Unfortunately, I've found a bit of a problem with using SmartMap (v9.1) in combination with multiplayer and a mod. Specifically:

1) If I use SmartMap (9.1) with Amra's modpack (1.8) with Vanilla (1.61) and try to load a multiplayer (hotseat) game, Civ CTDs while trying to draw the map.

However, I can use SmartMap (9.1) in multiplayer without Amra's modpack without problems. I can also use SmartMap (9.1) with Amra's modpack but in single player.

2) If I try to use SmartMap (9.1) with Amra's modpack (2.0) in Warlords, and try to load a multiplayer game, the map loads as 100% glassland (except for ice at the map limits) and only the standard resource bonus tiles present (cow, corn, sheep, etc.)

However, I can use SmartMap (9.1) with Amra's modpack (2.0) in Warlords in single player.

I hope that's clear. If you need more information for debugging, or logs or saves, just let me know. It'd be great to use this with the mod in multiplayer.

cheers
    EW

4. Mont

Mont Chieftain

Any possibility of getting a "Terra" world type in SmartMap? (They're the ones I always play.)

5. OrionVeteran

OrionVeteran Chieftain

I have been using the smartmap mod for several months now and the only real problem I have encountered is the mod will place fish and whales in the middle of dry land! :(

Please see if you can eliminate this bug. With this one exception I really enjoy this mod. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Orion Veteran :cool:

6. kabouki

kabouki Chieftain

On the bonus selection box use smartmap strict option when starting your game... you must have crazy or insane selected...

7. kabouki

kabouki Chieftain

What happened to Surt?

8. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Chieftain

That's what I'd like to know.

My only complain, which I realized just recently, is that the fish/clam/crab amounts are too low even with resources set to very high.

9. snv

snv Chieftain

sadly smartmap seems to be broken with warlords - were making a civ-lan and just cant get a game started with fair starting positions

10. vitalie

vitalie Chieftain

I can't use SmartMap with Warlords in LAN games - keeps loading the same map (when I have everything on Smartmap random pick) with only the grassland and vertically running rivers and nothing else. Gave me that three times. In one of them, a new map was generated on host, but the other computer still loaded the old map and then gave me "out of sync" error. There seems to be a problem with passing the newly generated map to the Lan game (the map file size is always the same in the dialog box showing map transfer progress).

Vit

11. X_MasterDave_X

X_MasterDave_X Chieftain

seems surt vanished since 2 months....

...one week before Warlords went to the stores.

Seems like this great Mod will never be transfered 100% into Warlords. (Some bugs now in WL ....shoreline mess....whales in the desert ect.)

How bad !!!! :cry:

Please Surt....come back !!! :(

12. cubsaver

cubsaver Chieftain

I use SmartMap playing Hot-Seat in a original Civ4 with my wife - and she has no problems trading maps or techs with me - but for some reason I can't trade with her - I can only give her money and open borders but no maps - despite us both having Paper - anyone else run into this? Does anyone know about a fix?

Cub

13. Thedrin

Thedrin Chieftain

Regarding SmartMap's compatability with Warlords:

I improved the map quality (where the standard of 'quality' is my own preference) by replacing the following files:

1) Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Warlords\Assets\Python\CvUtil
    2) Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Warlords\Assets\Python\CvMapGeneratorUtil

with their equivalent files in Vanilla:

1) Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Assets\Python\CvUtil
    2) Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Assets\Python\CvMapGeneratorUtil

after first saving the original Warlords files elsewhere.

My reason for doing this is that the opening lines of SmartMap's code call both of these Python files but CvMapGeneratorUtil was updated between Vanilla and Warlords (I haven't found any changes in CvUtil but decided to transfer it across anyway).

The only changes that I've found between the two CvMapGeneratorUtils (after a very quick scan) was additional code at the end which seems to relate to the balanced resources option. This change may deprive the player of this option completely or may make the option less effective. I do not know - I've never tested it.

I only use my prefered version of SmartMap; version 8.5, no where near the latest version. I don't know how these changes would affect later (or earlier) versions.

I originally made these changes over a month ago and promptly forgot about them. I was reminded of them when I performed a reinstall of Warlords yesterday and found the map quality to be diminished. I made no note of the changes at the time and have just put together what I can from memory. I'm not yet sure if I've made all of the changes that I originally made.

14. Alphard

Alphard Chieftain

I did a comparison of the CvMapGeneratorUtil.py files and it seems correct... only the end is modified...

EXCEPT

1 tiny thing some 20 lines before:
    'else' is put instead of 'elif(not self.map.isWrapY())'

I dont know anything about python so I do not really know what this change does. But it IS minor :D

I will give this a try with Warlords 2.08

15. Thedrin

Thedrin Chieftain

I accidently edited out a section of my previous post.

Problems that I here talked about frequently are a high instance of peninsula starts and reduced land in the starting city radius due to very large lakes. Another problem I had was with river generation. I've always used SmartMap's 'many rivers' option. I found that with Warlords there were very few rivers and that a disproportionate amount of them ran along the north-south axis.

While these are all problems that I experienced the evidence for their existence is anecdotal only. I find that the change I made produces maps with more similarity to maps produced in Vanilla.

There is one thing that may be a problem for people. Resource generation can produce large numbers of the same resource in capital cities. On one occasion I found 3 pigs in an AI capital city. However this may be down to the fact that I use the option 'SmartMap Clump Both'. There is no documentation on this option that I can find. I use it because it tends to keep most (but not all) land resources to isolated continents (increasing the value of astronomy).

16. jray

jray Chieftain

I can corroborate your anecdotal evidence regarding rivers. In fact, I think I've mentioned that to surt at least once somewhere in this thread. I use 'many rivers' and find that it still produces far fewer rivers than vanilla maps. They're also quite a bit shorter.

I do remember seeing doc for that in one of surt's releases, but for some reason it didn't make it into his persistent changelog. 'Clump Both' passes control for happy and health resources on to Firaxis' algorithms. And Firaxis always clumps them like that in its maps. (Presumably it's to encourage resource trading... I kinda like it, and in fact I was the one who requested that option :)).

Thanks much for pointing out the changes in those Python files. I'll look forward to giving it a try myself.

17. Thedrin

Thedrin Chieftain

I've been reading up on Python and it may be the case that the changes to CvMapGeneratorUtil I noted (not the one listed by Alphard) would actually have no affect on SmartMap. That would mean the improved changes I have percieved may not be there at all.

18. Mike.doc

Mike.doc Chieftain

..on my Warlord.
    I've bad colors (black, dark brown, like in the night) and very very slow running.
    The Smart Map file is in Warlords Public map folder.
    What do you think about this misfortune?

19. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Chieftain

So, I assume SmartMap is not 100% compatible with the latest version of Warlords, correct?

20. Mike.doc

Mike.doc Chieftain

Sure..but I'm not on the last version of Warlord, I prefer the "vanillla" version which is compatible with most of the mods we can play till now.
    Thus, what I'm doing to run with this wonderful SmartMap ?
    Thank you for answering me.