1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] SmartMap

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by surt, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Chieftain

wtf are you going on about? Wasn't even addressing you.

2. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

I have had no map related problems using Smartmap with Warlords.

Those getting oddly placed resources (Whales in Desert etc.) might be adviced that using some of the "Crazy" map options are likely to do exactly this - and that is what they are intended to do.

3. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux Chieftain

Would it be very hard to enable Smart map to cope with more then 18 civs? (24 or 32 being the most usual)?

Cause as it is it seems unable to generate a map when confronted with 24 civs.

4. Toby_M

Toby_M Chieftain

Hi!
    SmartMap is not working with my Civ4Mac. I can select only a few map options and every map looks the same: the whole map is grassland (no ocean) with some rivers and a few spots of forest around the starting locations.

5. Thedrin

Thedrin Chieftain

Try reinstalling SmartMap. What you describe happens whenever a map script has a flaw - CivIV reverts to using this very basic type of map.

6. skodkim

skodkim Chieftain

Could we have a 20 or 30% ocean option? I like playing fairly "round" pangea maps, but the minimal option for water coverage seems to make the maps almost square.

Great map script btw! Never use anything else.

\Skodkim

7. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

@skodkim:
    What you are asking would probably not be too hard to implement (I made a few custom changes myself), but Surt haven't been around for ages.

So unless someone else pick up this script and continue development on it - we are stuck with it more or less as it is now.

8. ForesterSOF

ForesterSOF Orbit Arnd. Alpha Centaui

I have looked at it and adding choices is not hard at all.

9. lordroy

lordroy God

I cannot believe this thread is still alive...

I have not played in forever... I dont have warlords... so... I probably am just here to say hi.

Great work.

-=R=-

10. jray

jray Chieftain

Well, alive but without the leader :(. It would be cool if surt would come back... well, first so I could give him a big high-five :), and also so I could beg him to ramp up the rivers. That's the only thing I haven't managed to tweak... even when I ask for Many Rivers, I still get only a handful of short ones. I miss the long snaky ones in the stock game. I guess I could just go in the .py file and experiment with the river percentage numbers, but I'd rather have surt do it the right way.

11. Uncle_Rico

Uncle_Rico Chieftain

I recenty installed the latest update to the mapscript and ran about 20 map generations. I was really bored.(generations?Is that what you call it, anyway you know what I mean.) First of all, I really like the map. One thing that i did notice however was the way the jungle plots were distributed. It seemed to me that they were very sparatic and were not necesserally located near the equator as one would expect. I thought it was kind of silly to see a jungle plot encircled by grass plots.

I also agree that the rivers were not very long but I seem to get a lot of them. Not overwhelming but more than I what i think the vanilla produced. I have the setting on normal rivers or whatever it is called, I know it is not anything above what would be called normal.

As I am writing this I am assuming that pics would probably help. I am currently at work and later tonight after the kiddos hit the hay I'lll see what I can post.

One more thing. Can anyone explain to me how to take screenshots and post them. Thanks.

12. ForesterSOF

ForesterSOF Orbit Arnd. Alpha Centaui

the only way I know of is to go Advanced then click on the pic icon and put in the URL to the pic.

For my own pics I have to use my web page area at cableone to put the pic.

13. jray

jray Chieftain

I'm curious what map size you play on. I should have mentioned previously that I always play on Small. Surt has said a few times that he doesn't test smaller map sizes very much... so maybe the river issue is most prevalent there.

14. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Yeah jungle is where desert should be and desert where jungle should be.

15. chrissicom

chrissicom Chieftain

Hi there I have a little problem with this script. I really love it and get awesome maps from it and I am always in for the huge, i.e. super large maps with 18 civs. My PC has 4 GB of Ram, a Core 2 Duo E6600 and a X1950 Pro with 512 MB, so plenty of resources to play any up to date game. According to the starting post Civ IV required around 32K for one tile, that would be 2 GB for a 256x256 map which shouldn't be a problem for my PC. I can have Photoshop use 2,9 GB with large pictures for example. Civ IV though doesn't even take the memory, the highest load I've seen was 1,4 GB where I had double as much Ram free so why doesn't Civ IV simply take the Ram and crash with a bad memory allocation instead? Do you have any ideas? The largest map I could create so far was 140x140 (with 18 civs) and Civ IV required around 1,3 GB Ram, after a few turns it simply crashes with the bad memory allocation error although I have 2 GB Ram free.

P.S. I am running on 64-bit so assigning more than 2 GB to one process is no issue here.

16. Gaurav

Gaurav Chieftain

You cannot assign more than 2 GB to any 32 bit process.

17. chrissicom

chrissicom Chieftain

Actually I can assing 3 GB to a 32-bit process (at least that works for Photoshop CS2 32-bit with PAE enabled). Anyway Civ IV doesn't even eat more than 1,5 GB Ram at the time of crashing although there is plenty more Ram left.

18. Caradoc

Caradoc Chieftain

With Warlords 2.08, creating 12 isles on a standard map, temperate with medium sea level, I notice that forests and jungles are fairly sparse, even with the heavy forest/heavy jungle setting. But my-oh-my is there ever a lot of flood plain. I do have hills set to 30%, rivers to many, and no goddam snow.

My lumberjacks want to know: how can I grow more forests?

19. Gaurav

Gaurav Chieftain

The forest/jungle setting works for me in SmartMap. Is your feature placement set to SmartMap?

20. Caradoc

Caradoc Chieftain

Yes it is. Approximately what percentage of forest do you get on 'heavy'?