[Map Script] SmartMap

I can't even generate a map without getting a MAF. 3ghz Core 2 duo with a 7900GTO...

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

1 in about ever 10 maps I make in single player crashs. Outside of that works very well in single player.

However in Multiplayer, I have to re-roll new maps so 4 in every 5 are bugged. Either we both are bugged, the other is bugged, or it crashs.

So if your patience, you can get a good map going for multiplayer, single player is ok. But mulitplayer needs to be worked on.

I'm getting about 80% plains/desert, and very few foliage (equal amount rainforest and forest) with everything on default, except least round continent, extreme fragments.

This seems very off and I don't know what is this is a bug or not, I'd like to be able to make a pangaea map with least round and lots of fragments and not have a barren wasteland.

I typically set it to "Extra Grass" and sometimes play with the forest/jungle setting.

One thing I've never figured out is that "Very Round" doesn't seem to generate round coastlines. Instead I always get very crablike coasts with fingers and small (1 or 2 tile) lakes. I just tried "Least Round" for kicks, and it seems there's no difference.

Yes, it works with 1.61, with mods, and with multiplayer.

Get it from the download link below.

Version 9.1 update released, now loads and scales WBS files, plus loads blue marble terrain and WBS terrain for those maps!

Version 9.0 new version with new earth maps feature!

Unzip to your publicmaps folder. Use by selecting customgame, and selecting SmartMap as the map.
The single most common error is to wind up with an extra folder: civ iv folder\PublicMaps\SmartMap\SmartMap.py rather than the correct:
civ iv folder\PublicMaps\SmartMap.py

This map script can create an incredible assortment of gameplay experiences.

Here's a random sampling of outcomes:
First row: High Sea level, Large size, assorted options.

Second row: Med Sea level, Large size, assorted options.

Third row: Low Sea level, Large size, assorted options.

You can see a screenshot of all the custom options in the post below.

Here's a picture of the new earth maps:

Unzip to your publicmaps folder. Use by selecting customgame, and selecting SmartMap as the map.
The single most common error is to wind up with an extra folder: civ iv folder\PublicMaps\SmartMap\SmartMap.py rather than the correct:
civ iv folder\PublicMaps\SmartMap.py

SmartMap Script great with FFH but no unique features!

Love the SmartMap Script with FFH but I do not see any FFH unique features placed when I start the game and I enter the worldbuilder. Any ideas why?

Any way to update this script for FFH?

Thanks!

SmartMap Script great with FFH but no unique features!

Love the SmartMap Script with FFH but I do not see any FFH unique features placed when I start the game and I enter the worldbuilder. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Probably to old for that...

How do I access the earth setting he mentioned adding in version 9.0?

I keep getting maps that are just giant spans of grassland with no ocean, no hills. U_U

I play multiplayer with my wife a lot using permanent alliance (she wont play if not on my "team" lol) do we both need the map script downloaded and extracted or only the host player?

Hello,

SmartMap is the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for. I love the wide variety of choices, and the maps it generates. It's a terrific add-on. Thank you for creating it.

I'm wondering if it can be adopted to do one specific thing:

In Continents, allow me to choose a map (as it already does), but then ALSO, use the exact MAP and not just the map shape. I enjoy making maps, but don't want to have to play the same "game" on them every time.

Is it possible for SmartMap to be adopted so that I can

1. choose an existing map,
2. choose the number of Civs to play against
3. choose the leaders of those Civs
4. let SmartMap simply place the Bonuses!!?
5. let SmartMap randomly place the Civs??

For those of use who suck at writing scripts, but love making maps, I think this would be the perfect choice.

Basically, I would start Civ4, select Single Player. Then Select Custom Game.

I would select SmartMap
I would select the game size to match my map (unless SmartMap just analyzed that anyway)

Then under Continents I would select a map I had created and moved to PublicMaps

Then under Terrain I would select something like "Use Exact Map Terrain Data"

Features wouldn't be required.

I could set Bonus Placement, Bonus Density, and Goodies,

Then everything down to Wrap X wouldn't be required since I'm using my existing map features.

Is this possible? For us map-making lovers, this would give us the chance to play DIFFERENT games on the maps we create.

Respectfully submitted,
CivNoob2008

If this problem was already mentioned in this thread, sorry but i am not good in english and read those all pages trying to understand your all sentences will be very tired for me. Anyway i've generate some maps and i found something like on this screen below. It is a starting position without any food resource in two space from settler. I do not know what you are thinking of this but for me this is very important thing and should be rapair/edit, becouse it's very no balanced.
Thx in advance if you'll do something with this.

Spoiler :

Turn on the yield display (CTRL + Y). I wonder if either of the two grassland tiles on the north and south sides of the river are flood plains. SmartMap can put floodplains anywhere there is fresh water (next to lake, on any non-peak tile including hills and tundra). If so, they are 5:food: 1:commerce: tiles unimproved, and that's pretty damn good coupled with the Cows. :D

I agree that's not a great start, but I want to make sure it's not an utterly abysmal start.

I've had a start with only a single grassland Horse before (with the Tectonics map script), but haven't ever seen a single plains Horse. That really seems like a terrible start, I agree. To me, a lack of food in the capital makes the game rather slow and boring, so I can totally understand being unhappy with this start.

EmperorFool, even if the grassland-river tiles were flood plains, they're still too far away to be in the capital's radius. In my opinion, starts without any food source shouldn't happen.

EmperorFool, even if the grassland-river tiles were flood plains, they're still too far away to be in the capital's radius.

Oops, I thought the Scout was the Settler. Single-unit graphics and poor vision do not mix well. ;)

Heh, no problem. I confused the Scout and Settler when I first looked at the image too. The Settler guy has a walking stick though. ;)

I'm afraid yall didn't look at the date of the OP--2006. Surt is inactive now :(.

Can someone update this map script so that it actually works? I try to use it for Hotseat games but all I get are a bunch of grassland everywhere.

Can someone update this map script so that it actually works? I try to use it for Hotseat games but all I get are a bunch of grassland everywhere.

Where are you putting the script? This is what happens when the script is in a location that the Custom Game screen can see (to put it in the list) but the game engine cannot (thus you get grassland). I don't know exactly why this happens, but I've had it happen to me on occasion.

Note that I haven't tried using the script for HotSeat games, but I have used the script plenty for single-player games, both with and without BUG.

Where should it be put?

Top Bottom