[Map Script] Tectonics

for Panagea can we get like a 'lakes and straits' option to add some finger projections of water into the panagea, and some largish (5-10 tile) lakes in the middle, feeding the rivers?
It would be possible to get some straits but it's likely to generate islands instead, which is why I got the safe way. I'm sure the lands will always connect but I may have overdone it a bit. Lakes would be even harderto control.

Hemispheres
A lot of work to tweak them so there'd be enough land.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be doing either.

A Terra option is possible. It's actually the version I never uploaded because I lost it all when reinstalling my old computer... I've just always been to gutted to rewrite everything from scratch.

You could insert the two methods from Terra.py into any script, to ensure all Civ's starting on the biggest landmass and thus leaving all other landmasses free. This obviously does not help producing a big continent, but when not adding too many Civ's above the standard setting for a mapsize, you shouldn't get any problems.

A tectionics-version with plates hinted to produce earth-like look would be great however :D

Code:
def isValidOldW(playerID, x, y):
	map = CyMap()
	if (map.plot(x, y)getArea() != map.findBiggestArea(False).getID()):
		return False
	return True

def findStartingPlot(argsList):
	[playerID] = argsList	
	return CvMapGeneratorUtil.findStartingPlot(playerID, isValidOldW)

You could insert the two methods from Terra.py into any script, to ensure all Civ's starting on the biggest landmass and thus leaving all other landmasses free. This obviously does not help producing a big continent, but when not adding too many Civ's above the standard setting for a mapsize, you shouldn't get any problems.
Yes, but I wanted to make it really Terra like. In particular, if the map generated has a single continent, it won't be much like Terra.

Yes, but I wanted to make it really Terra like. In particular, if the map generated has a single continent, it won't be much like Terra.

Yes. My suggestion was rather a quick-fix, than a solution. Really Tectonics Terra would be way better :D

Is it just me, or does BtS seem to produce quite good maps by itself? I haven't got around to installing techtnics for BtS, but it seems like they've updated the map script.
Is this true, do you know? Actually, this is probably the worst thread to ask, since everyone here is running Techonics!

Yes, BTS does a better job of generating maps. Hemispheres and Medium/Small are pretty decent. Tectonics still beats them hands down, though.

wow...
this is quite the map script. i saw this thread, mainly after getting fed up with the 2 blobs 'continents' script (searching for an alternitive), and decided i'd give this a try. it produced amazing maps for me (i sampled 60% and 70% water on large and normal) i'd get things like a large inland sea with a small opening to the oceans on one map, a supermassive continent with a small ististmus which would fit a canal city, large continents cut in half by mountains (to the point that there was a 1 tile pass on one side, and nothing else.
it produces astonishing maps- and there varied as well. i cant imangine ever going back to continents, fractal, or archipegio ever again after seeing them.

a couple things though. why are there huge expanses of land with few hills? it makes for production light inland citys... i read about the hotspots in older postings here, but thats not the only way hills arise. rivers can carve valleys, rocks from under the surface, ice can scrape gouges in the ground...
(a few random inland hills would be nice)

and i love how continents go right up to the top of the map! it got rid of the generic blobs that ware always oceanlocked (those are rarer now...) while sampling i came across maps that couldnt be cricumnavigated until subs, and maps that had an ice free passage, but required doubling back to do so.

great job! it even inspired me to post for the first time

A tectionics-version with plates hinted to produce earth-like look would be great however :D

Code:
	map = CyMap()
	if (map.plot(x, y)getArea() != map.findBiggestArea(False).getID()):
		return False
	return True

def findStartingPlot(argsList):
	[playerID] = argsList	
	return CvMapGeneratorUtil.findStartingPlot(playerID, isValidOldW)

I tried inserting the above code into the tectonics script but alas it messed up and produced a map with nothing but rivers and grassland. I guess I need to understand how the scripts work to know how to integrate the code :/

It might be just a plain typo somewhere. Python is sensible to indentation, so if you coupied the code a quote in the forums, there might be a tab in the wrong place or something (forums sometimes add/remove whitespaces). Also you need to put the methods outside of any class.

The only other thing i can think of, is if Tectonics already does override the starting plot assignment (not sure if it does). If so, adding a second 'findStartingPlot' method might cause some kind of interference...

EDIT: ARRRGH!!! i also found a typo in my code :mischief: No idea how it got there, since i copy/pasted it from my script which is working... Anyway... There was a "Dot" missing (red one). Sorry.
Code:
	map = CyMap()
	if (map.plot(x, y)[B][COLOR="Red"].[/COLOR][/B]getArea() != map.findBiggestArea(False).getID()):
		return False
	return True

a couple things though. why are there huge expanses of land with few hills? it makes for production light inland citys... i read about the hotspots in older postings here, but thats not the only way hills arise. rivers can carve valleys, rocks from under the surface, ice can scrape gouges in the ground...

Such an addition would be great. Really great.

couple things though. why are there huge expanses of land with few hills? it makes for production light inland citys... i read about the hotspots in older postings here, but thats not the only way hills arise. rivers can carve valleys, rocks from under the surface, ice can scrape gouges in the ground...
I noticed this too. I'd sometimes see Madagascar-sized islands nearby the continents with almost no hills and absolutely no mountains. I also often see the entire center of continents devoid of any rivers, even if there were lots of mountains in the center. To me, these are the biggest problems of the whole map script. It is otherwise total kick-ass-ery.

I think this script uses the built-in resource allocator but I thought this was kind of a weird resource distribution, 11 ivory resources in the same place??

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 289
Top Bottom