1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] Tectonics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by LDiCesare, Dec 23, 2005.

1. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

That should be easy.

Yes, South America and Africa are particularly ugly. Arabia and the far east are also very very random, and the join between Africa and Asia is sometimes too mountainous.
    I'm going to try to tailor them a bit more. South America shouldn't be too hard. For some reason, I can't get a Greenland looking like something or I misplace it.
    Africa is much more of a pain because it's hard to get the Mediterranean looking like something.
    I'll be tweaking this.

2. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Hi LDiCesare,

Is it possible to have your map script also combined under Refar's Random Map script so that it would be one of the available options? It would be lovely to interlink them somehow, particularly as both are being requested by Firaxis for the future patch!

Regards

3. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

I have no problem with the script being included by Refar. Only thing is I think Refar uses a copy of existing scripts, which means he needs a stable version in order to include it.

4. Refar

Refar Chieftain

Also to plug it into my script, i have to rip off (hardcode/randomize) the customized user choices from tectonics - this (besides my laziness) was the main reason, why i did not incuded it yet.

5. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Hey. do you feel like converting this map to Fall From Heaven 2?

6. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Does it not work for that? It should I think.

7. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

Yes, it works fine with Fall from Heacen II.
    I made a point not to touch the code most likely to be modded, namely resources and features.

8. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I thought people were runnign into problems back when FFH was converted to BTS. alright... i'll try it.

9. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

Version 3.15 uploaded. A bit more water and less land on 60% water maps, and mostly Terra option reworked to get better continent shapes, and Antarctic out.
    I wish I would keep Antarctic but it get settled by so many barbs it's silly.
    I also divided the Terra option between normal start locations and only old world start locations.

10. playshogi

playshogi Chieftain

I tried the v315 twice, using a standard map and 70% water setting, normal climate. I got hardly any peaks at all and only about 300 squares of land. That's more like 93% water isn't it, (if there 4000 squares on a standard map)?

11. rev'en

rev'en Chieftain

Same settings, arid climate: A little too much water and hardly any peaks. I believe previous versions yielded better results.

12. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

This can happen at times, as the % is only a hint. Still, it's very low.
    I confess I have no idea of how many plots there are on a map of any size.
    Did you have the standard number of players? If there were few, it can explain things, but I don't think I changed that in 3.14 or 3.15.
    A large amount of water may explain why there's only few peaks as most land plates would be separated by water, but that's not good.
    I'll test this to check 70%/normal size. Either it's a change in the number of plates or the second pass (erosion + more tectonics), but I think the latter is unlikely, so I'll probably just put more plates.
    (By the way, all the previous versions are still available on apolyton if you want to fetch an old one).

13. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

Very weird.
    I made a run of standard 70% water maps (4368 plots):
    Peaks: 51, 13, 31, 60, 51, 8, 52,
    Land: ?, 432, 782, 852, 1062, few,
    So effectively, that's much less than 30%, more about 80% water on average, but the amount of peaks is usually correct.
    I'm not sure it's less land than before, though.
    The formula is:
    if (userInputLandmass == 0): # "Earthlike (70% water)"
    numContinents = 1 + numPlayers
    numSeaPlates = numPlayers*3
    You could replace by something like:
    numContinents = 1 + numPlayers
    numSeaPlates = numPlayers*7/3
    instead.
    That would provide less sea and islands.

14. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

What exactly does the differnet settings do? Does low / medium / high seealevel have any effect? What about climate(temperate, cold, arid, rocky etc)? Does wet just increase the number of rivers by 50%? What exactly does all the aridity settings do? If this is answered somewhere else in the thread i appologize, but i could not find it on the first page... Is this even the same code as the one fraxis is using?

15. Refar

Refar Chieftain

I looked through the code a while ago - Tectonics has its own climate generator, so it is not the same code / works different from the default generators.

I cant tell you however, how exactly the parameters are factored in.

16. oyzar

I ment is the fraxis teconics that comes with 3.17 the same as this one...

17. Refar

Refar Chieftain

Oh sorry, misunderstood you. Yes from all i know the one in 3.17 is the latest version of this one.

18. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

This is the same version as BtS.
    Low/medium/high and temperate/cold/arid/roicky do not apply, but there are other settings:
    Sea level options for more/less sea don't exist but choosing 70 or 60% water will give you lots of or less water.
    Arid/normal/wet changes both the terrain (more or less desert...) and the number of rivers.

19. oyzar

Does wet mean more jungle than normal for example? no ice is just like normal just without ice? Why are there no maps between 60% and 30%? For me 60% is way too crowded(for 18/huge) while 30% is overly spacious...

if (self.climate == 3): # No ice
    self.terrainIce = gc.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_TUNDRA")
    self.terrainTundra = gc.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_GRASS")

This is supposed to make ice into thundra and then thundra into ice right? But when i generate maps with the no ice option there is still tons of thundra, why is that? Is it a bug?

20. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Code:
    if (self.climate == 3):                        # No ice
    			self.terrainIce = gc.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_TUNDRA")
    			self.terrainTundra = gc.getInfoTypeForString("TERRAIN_GRASS")

For code, you might use code blocks
    Code:
    , because with the Python language, the indentation of the blocks can change the meaning. As far as I can tell, there should be no tundra from the code that you posted.