Map script, which one do you usually play?

karadoc: Your script, Not Too Big or Small, sounds interesting but when I clicked on the link, it just downloaded a zip file with nothing in it but an empty folder with that title. Where can your script be found? I looked in the map scripts download area of CFF but could not find it there either.

That's very strange, and I don't really know what to tell you. I just clicked the link to test it myself and I got a zip file with not_too_big_or_small.py inside it. There were no internal folders or anything like that. Perhaps the problem is caused by your unzipping program, or an over-enthusiastic virus scanner which silently removes the contents of suspicious zip files? :confused: I don't know. But I do know that if I just click the link (in Firefox v15, or Chrome v22), save the zip file to my deskop, and then double click it to open it in the default built-in Windows 7 zip file thingy, it reveals the correct python script.

The script is also include in K-Mod, but that's also a zip file made in the same way; so if the stand-alone link doesn't work, then I don't think the K-Mod zip would work either.

If you you try it again - or if you try to full K-Mod zip file - and it still doesn't contain the python file; please let me know. That would be a pretty strong reason to start making a special installer .exe rather than a plain .zip file. I want K-Mod to work for everyone, without any rigamarole or problems of any kind - even if the problems are due to some completely unrelated bugs in the unzipping of zip files...

Karadoc: Either there was something flakey about my connection last night or the problem was caused by the unzip program. I have several of them, so I just now downloaded it again and used a different program to unzip it. This time I got the python file. Thanks!

Edit: I just loaded a game using not_too_big_or_small map script and looked it over in World Builder. It produced a rather large but sparsely populated continent and many medium to large islands, with other civs populating several. This was on a huge map with the huge default number of civs. It looks interesting.

I've recently been playing the 'Islands' script and enjoying it enormously.

Been beeling Chemistry for frigates and taking Steel from winning the Lib race meaning drydocks and cheap promoted frigates. Also put in a strong effort to be first to prove the Earth is round for the additional naval movement point.
I've then used the frigates to the AI with blockades which results in the generation of several Great Generals and level 4 promos for the Herioc Epic as a consequence (level 6 for West Pt. if lucky).

I quite often run this script with 'Aggressive AI' and 'Always War' settings.

All great fun

I play with a version of the Lakes script that I modified to take away the shrinkage the script normally enforces, because I like a really large map with a lot of land to spread out on. I'd be interested in other really large, mostly land map scripts that might be out there.

I play Fractal for the lolz (long and possibly childishly inappropriate story about one map I rolled), and sometimes Custom Continents.

EDIT: 1600th post! :w00t:

Fractal or Continents for me. Maybe Lakes or Pangea if I just want a navy-less game.

Fractal, Contenents, or when I really wanna go nuts, highlands.

Mirror land, Flooded waterways.
Plays a lot like an archipelago, but more balanced.

Pangea, Standard, Normal shape, Flat

How do you guys bring up the stamina to micromanage a lategame naval invasion on a large map?
Even now i only finish 10-20% of my games. Most of the time i quit around liberalism. What is your motivation for the lategame on larger and continent maps? The early game seems more enjoyable.

Pangea, Standard, Normal shape, Flat

How do you guys bring up the stamina to micromanage a lategame naval invasion on a large map?

The perspective of loading nuclear missiles on submarines and making it rain on the world. :nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke:

I enjoy highlands and Pangaea. Sometimes Archipelago and continents.

Late-game naval invasion isn't even that bad, transports have at least decent speed and sufficient cargo space. I hate building tons of galleys / galleons for my army :mad: I guess if you don't want to bother with a late-game navy you can always use ICBMs fired from home :D

The perspective of loading nuclear missiles on submarines and making it rain on the world. :nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke:

Late-game naval invasion isn't even that bad, transports have at least decent speed and sufficient cargo space. I hate building tons of galleys / galleons for my army :mad: I guess if you don't want to bother with a late-game navy you can always use ICBMs fired from home :D

You guys are right. Nuclear freakin' missles sound like a good reason.
I guess in the end it all comes down to: "Play the map" again.

Used to be a big fan of Archipelago and Fractal maps, but now I almost never play them. I found them too random when trying to raise the difficulty level. Currently I only play Pangaea, because it is fairly balanced and I hate performing naval invansions.

I play a lot of fractal, tectonics, big and small... Terra is fun but you have an edge because you KNOW the new world is out there...

Big and small with "islands mixed in" option creates very interisting maps, from pangäa to multiple continents. normal or large mapsize.
Archipelago with winding continents. low production and traderoutes

I have often rerolled on fractal therefore I prefer randomized continents. When I project failure I just reroll till optimal (balanced start) are in position. Than I test myself. If the challange is too small I just make it AI has more advantage in the beggining ;)

Top Bottom