Map script, which one do you usually play?

scyt4l3

Short Fused Invader
Hey fellas,
:scan:

I used to always choose fractal, but recently I rolled several "ugly" maps with this script and decided it's time for change.

What I liked about fractal:
unpredictability (it can be continents, pangea, isolated start)
world is wrapped as a globe (what, the earth is rectangular, no way!)
kinda decent layout of the tiles (well, not that much, hence the thread)

The last script I tried seemed to fit my tastes, planet generator (I think it comes with the LoR mod)

Which one do you usually play and do you have some suggestions for me?

All hail Civ 4!

I'm still having a hard time deciding, so I'm looking forward to seeing other replies in this thread. Currently I usually play Fractal, Terra or Continents but they feel too accommodating. Like flood plains everywhere and food resources everywhere. I want to play a map where you have to really try to find good city spots.

This is the case with the PerfectWorld scripts, but the starting spots are very very uneven. Some civs will start on the freaking north pole with no resources but fur, and all tundra.

Recently Totestra, which is like PerfectWorld but allegedly better.

The starts are VERY uneven, but the worlds are interesting.

I play Hemispheres and also Big and Small continents...if it helps I used to play Fractal,but it started putting me on Japanese like islands while everyone else had huge Australian style island...

I love playing Fractal/Large. The map types are very unpredictable. Sometimes you'll get three continents, sometimes two, and sometimes you'll have one with a small island where some poor sap gets stuck until Astronomy. Love the unpredictability. :)

I enjoy Fractal, Big and Small, Pangaea (sp?), Hemispheres, I kinda like them all, except I really haven't got the hang of water maps yet, like Archipelago, snaky continents is fun though.

I prefer the plain-old Shuffle setting with random leader most of the time.

That way I have to find out what I need to expect. I'd rather the map play me than I play the map, if you know what I mean. I've done set leaders on set maps and I just don't enjoy it nearly as much. Takes away a lot of the mystery....Even though it doesn't take too long to get a good idea of what you're in, at least I have to develop things more in-time than have an edge from turn 1.

I almost always play using a script I wrote myself called Not Too Big or Small.

The script is similar to "Big and Small" but a bit less predictable and more suited to bigger maps. (The big flaw in "Big and Small" is that it always divides the map into to halves, and one half is always one huge continent while the other half is a bunch of small islands. That's fine for "normal" size and smaller, but for larger map sizes it's a bit of a problem. My script doesn't always do that.) I usually play on either Large or Normal size.

I like Not Too Big or Small because it offers quite a lot of variety. Sometimes all of the civs are on the same landmass, but usually they aren't. Sometimes all the land is connected by coast; but often it isn't. Usually there are some decent unsettled areas which can be explored and settled after astronomy.

I don't like "Perfect World" or "Planet Generator" because they tend to generate maps with large homogenous areas - such as an enormous zone of forested grassland in one place, and an enormous zone of plains in another zone... and you just have to hope like hell you don't get stuck the plains zone.

I don't like "Perfect World" or "Planet Generator" because they tend to generate maps with large homogenous areas - such as an enormous zone of forested grassland in one place, and an enormous zone of plains in another zone... and you just have to hope like hell you don't get stuck the plains zone.

Or next to a giant alpine highlands zone or the local Sahara. The best spawns all look like Cascadia though, and while they're very homogenous they're damn pretty.

Generally, I'm a fan of naval nations, so I play archipelago with snaky continents, fractal, or continents. Probably going to give pangea more of a shot though.

I used to almost always play continents or custom continents however recently it's all been fractal. Fractal seems to have a particular feel to the maps, like they are more unique or something, I can't put my finger on it.

I prefer the plain-old Shuffle setting with random leader most of the time.
Me too. I love the early exploration phase. But if I get bad starts repeatedly I just roll up a donut or an Arborea map with some favorite leader just to get into "easy game mode" again.
I almost always play using a script I wrote myself called Not Too Big or Small.
Sounds very intriguing I will definitely give this a try :) Hope it's easier to cope with then your K-Mod (which beat me up on Emperor last time :) )

I like the Earth2 map, it makes me feel like I'm playing on a randomized Earth. I think I saw a map on here once that used an Earth map (Maybe Rhye's?), with randomize starting positions in the Old or New World, but I couldn't find it again.

I almost always play on continents with 2 or 3 continents. I hate it when i get a great start but start off in isolation. And I think killing everyone before 0 is cheep such as is possible in pangea

I love randomnes and unpredictability so fractal is my choice. Sometimes you can get realy bad starts but I make it a point to find soon enough as not to waste my time and reload...

I usually play Inland Sea because it's really balanced and you're almost guaranteed a good amount of cities. Because of that I usually add an additional AI to balance things out a little bit. I also play Pangaea, but I haven't been liking it much lately because of how easy it is to get screwed out of land, especially on coastal/peninsular starts.

karadoc: Your script, Not Too Big or Small, sounds interesting but when I clicked on the link, it just downloaded a zip file with nothing in it but an empty folder with that title. Where can your script be found? I looked in the map scripts download area of CFF but could not find it there either.

Top Bottom