[GS] Mappa Mundi

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
Description
Mappa Mundi adds >15,000 unique place names to greatly increase the variety within your games.

Options
Mappa Mundi includes the option to enable Colonial names for European civilizations. This option is disabled by default. You can enable it by editing the UserConfig_MappaMundi within the mod folder and changing the following line:
("UseColonialNames", 0); ---> ("UseColonialNames", 1);

Mod Support
Note: Currently this mod completely replaces the NamedPlaces tables. I am happy to add in further support for modded civilizations.

This mod includes varying levels of out-of-the-box support for the following modded civilizations:

Spoiler :

• Anno Domini (rob8xft) - all civilizations
  • Assyria (Chrisy)
  • Akkad (Civitas)
  • Armenia (Civitas)
  • Berber (Civitas)
  • Malaysia (Civitas)
  • Normandy (Civitas)
  • Philippines (Civitas)
  • Pontus (Civitas)
  • Romania (Civitas)
  • Sasanian (Civitas)
  • Seleucid (Civitas)
  • Seljuq (Civitas)
  • Songhai (Civitas)
  • Switzerland (Civitas)
  • Taino (Civitas)
  • Albania (Enigma)
  • Ireland (Enigma)
  • Belgium (JFD)
  • Chile (JFD)
  • Denmark (JFD)
  • Italy (JFD)
  • Portugal (JFD)
  • USSR (JFD)
  • Wales (JFD)
  • Argentina (Leugi)
  • Colombia (Leugi)
  • Haiti (Leugi)
  • Israel (Leugi)
  • Mexico (Leugi)
  • Austria (Merrick)
  • Bulgaria (Merrick)
  • Finland (Merrick)
  • Kievan Rus (Merrick)
  • Sicily (Merrick)
  • Palmyra (Merrick)
  • Burma (Sukritact)
  • Ethiopia (Sukritact)
  • Iceland (Sukritact)
  • Siam (Sukritact)
  • Swahili (Sukritact)
  • Tibet (Sukritact)
  • Jerusalem (TCS)

Source
The primary source for this mod is Wikipedia, and the place names were scraped using a Python script. I am confident that I have removed 99% of erroneous names, but please report if you see any which obviously should not belong (example: "Deserts of Australia").

Credits
thecrazyscotsman
: place names, Python, SQL, XML
SeelingCat: place names
ChimpanG: logo

Last edited:
Wonderful work! I remember being a little disappointed at how short the list of feature names were when I clicked into their file.

Just a general tip about Norwegian place names: for example, I see on the Steam workshop page that one of the possible river names for Norway is "Flakstadelva River". The suffix -elva means "river", which means that directly translated, the name in total means "Flakstad River River." -lågen and -åa also both mean "river". However I do realise that you might already have known this and decided to sacrifice it, so to speak, to make it fit with the rest of the game's river names, which is understandable.

Also, due to the nature of how we use place names in Norwegian, I would have left the names without any additional "River" or "Mountains" suffix. "Glomma River", like the devs called it for this expansion, feels a bit like buttering bacon when Norwegians would just call it Glomma (or Glåma). Interestingly, they translated Numedalslågen to "Numedal River", which also is fine, while leaving Gudbrandsdalslågen untranslated.

Wonderful work! I remember being a little disappointed at how short the list of feature names were when I clicked into their file.

Just a general tip about Norwegian place names: for example, I see on the Steam workshop page that one of the possible river names for Norway is "Flakstadelva River". The suffix -elva means "river", which means that directly translated, the name in total means "Flakstad River River." -lågen and -åa also both mean "river". However I do realise that you might already have known this and decided to sacrifice it, so to speak, to make it fit with the rest of the game's river names, which is understandable.

Also, due to the nature of how we use place names in Norwegian, I would have left the names without any additional "River" or "Mountains" suffix. "Glomma River", like the devs called it for this expansion, feels a bit like buttering bacon when Norwegians would just call it Glomma (or Glåma). Interestingly, they translated Numedalslågen to "Numedal River", which also is fine, while leaving Gudbrandsdalslågen untranslated.
Thanks for the feedback! I can certainly add that to the list of changes I want to make for the next version. Fortunately things like that are rather easy to do, so it shouldn't be any trouble. I only speak English, so any tips from speakers of other languages are much appreciated!

@thecrazyscot - Was getting a Unique Constraint Error in regards to the Amazon River. Looks like the "Expansion2_NamedPlaces_Text.xml" is getting loaded after your "NamedPlaces.xml". Throwing a LoadOrder on it fixed the issue.
Thanks for the report! I'll fix that in the next release.

Patch notes (v2):

Bug Fixes:
  • Fix LoadOrder issue for the text action
  • The Norwegians no longer add "River River" to the end of their rivers
  • Romania and Oman are no longer getting confused for each other
  • While science is cool, people have decided to quit naming mountain ranges things like "Physiology" and "Geology"
  • Despite being partial to all things Scottish, "Scottish Gaelic" is no longer a place name
  • Various other bits and bobs
New Place Names (>5000 total):
  • Added River names from:
    • Romania
    • Ukraine
    • Crimea
    • Finland
    • Faroe Islands
    • Falkland Islands
    • Isle of Man
    • Sicily
  • Added Mountain Range names from:
    • Austria
    • Sicily
  • Added Volcano names from:
    • Norway (thanks ButtBillionaire!)
New Mod Support:
  • Merrick's Civilizations
    • Austria
    • Finland
    • Kievan Rus
    • Sicily
    • Palmyra
  • Chrisy's Civilizations
    • Assyria
  • Anno Domini

Last edited:
Some suggestions for Norwegian volcano names:

- Brandbukampen
- Sølvsberget
- Ullernåsen
- Tofteholmen
- Ranvikholmen

These are all remains of volcanoes on the Norwegian mainland, though difficult to find out about for non-Norwegians, as they only seem to be documented in Norwegian sources. The first three are hills today, and the last two are islands. There are also two calderas I've found out about, but I don't know if they (or calderas in general) can be properly used as volcano names:

- Bærumskalderaen
- Drammenskalderaen

Some suggestions for Norwegian volcano names:

- Brandbukampen
- Sølvsberget
- Ullernåsen
- Tofteholmen
- Ranvikholmen

These are all remains of volcanoes on the Norwegian mainland, though difficult to find out about for non-Norwegians, as they only seem to be documented in Norwegian sources. The first three are hills today, and the last two are islands. There are also two calderas I've found out about, but I don't know if they (or calderas in general) can be properly used as volcano names:

- Bærumskalderaen
- Drammenskalderaen
Thanks! I will go ahead and implement those, and I think calderas are mostly fine, there are quite a few in there already.

v4 Release:

Bug Fixes:
  • Papua New Guinea, Guinea, and Equatorial Guinea are no longer getting confused for each other
  • Continued refinement of existing names and removal of bad entries
New Place Names:
Additional River names from:
Israel
France

Additional Mountain Range names from:
Israel

New Mod Support:

TCS
Kingdom of Jerusalem

JFD
Portugal

Hi, I have some modded civs that have their own named places, is it compatible with Mappa Mundi or there is a risk of conflict if the names are the same?
Hi Gedemo, currently I am completely replacing the named place tables, so I would need to add support in for each of your civs otherwise they will simply pull from the general pool of names. If you provide me all of your CivilizationTypes (e.g. CIVILIZATION_GREECE) I will add support for all of them in my next update.

v5 Release:

Bug Fixes:
  • Finally squashed the double-quote bug (...I hope...)
  • Fixed unsupported Khmer characters which were resulting in text key errors (were showing up as question marks)
  • Text keys no longer have any non-standard characters, which should also help eliminate text key errors
  • A few more names were corrected gramatically
  • A few more bad entries were removed

New Mod Support:
Merrick
Bulgaria

Hi Gedemo, currently I am completely replacing the named place tables, so I would need to add support in for each of your civs otherwise they will simply pull from the general pool of names. If you provide me all of your CivilizationTypes (e.g. CIVILIZATION_GREECE) I will add support for all of them in my next update.

Sure! here we go:
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_CHACHAPOYA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_HUNNIC
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_KAAN
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_KORYAK
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_KUIKURO
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_LUBA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_MAASAI
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_MARAJOARA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_MOCHICA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_NENETSIA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_NOONGAR
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_NUUCHAHNULTH
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_OMAGUA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_PAPUA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_PAWNEE
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_POWHATAN
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_PUREPECHA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_TAHITI
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_TAYRONAS
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_TIBET
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_VANUATU
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_VIETNAM
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_YANOMAMI
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_YUPIK

added:
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_TUPINAMBA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_LAKOTA
CIVILIZATION_GEDEMO_HATTI

Last edited:
In retrospect I've realised that I probably should've noted something else when I last posted here over a year ago: I believe Swedish grammar works similarly enough to Norwegian grammar that it would be best if Sweden's river names had no English "River" suffix. When using this mod I've seen a lot of "-älven River" whenever Sweden is present, which, again, translates to "river river." Maybe worth noting for whenever you decide to update this mod next.

I've also noticed that errors seem to occur with names that have apostrophes in them, such as Arthur's Seat, where the apostrophe is replaced with an X enclosed by a square.

Top Bottom