1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping Civilization VI (Base Game up to the SEA DLC)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Chieftain

I would say add some of the land of the Woods Cree, Poundmakers Agenda directly references the Iron Confederacy and the Iron Confederacy was primarily made up of the Woods and Plains Cree.

TahamiTsunami, bite and Thormodr like this.
  2. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

That's a really good idea, it fits the general narrative that I have been using for the map, so it bends rather than breaks the rules -

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  3. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Ok spent the morning working on Georgia for the new map (which will come out of release day) and well The Middle East is getting hella crowded

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

And there's still Ottomans/Byzantines to cram in there eventually.

5. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

maybe both by the end of it

6. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Chieftain

Well just wait for Babylon, Palmyra, Phoenicia, the Ottomans, Byzantines, Assyria etc...

7. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I've only just now looked at your City placement list @bite; and wow! Incredible job :D

Regarding your comment on Germany/HRE - "However, it is also quite clear that someone on the Firaxis team really likes their reformation history" I'm surprised that no one has had a stab at your comment in this thread (unless I missed it scrolling through five or so pages in the wee hours this morning :hammer2:). I believe the answer to that would be Ed himself :bounce:

To be exact... we were never run from Australia cos that country did not exist at the time :p
    We were run from that unplayable faction in the Australian scenario - New South Wales. And as our parliament is 50 odd years older than Australia's...we are the older country :old:

Meluhhan, Zaarin, bite and 2 others like this.
  8. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Indeed, it was a slight nod to Ed, and his love of the reformation

Fine if you want to be technically you are correct, but then technically correct is the best kind of correct. :) :)

nzcamel likes this.
  9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I've been trying to note the City names of the R&F Civs, and I think this is the most suitable thread to post them. Let me know if I missed any names.

Cree (since the Cree aren't known for their cities, Firaxis is using the native names for the reserves)
    Mikisiw-wacîhk
    Piyesiw-Awasis
    Mistahi-Sipihk
    Pihtokahanapiwiyin
    Mistawasis
    Paskwaw-Askihk

Georgia
    Tbilisi
    Tskhumi
    Akhalkalaki
    Kaspi
    Kutaisi
    Rustavi
    Batumi
    Zugdidi
    Gori

Korea
    Gyeongju
    Chuncheon
    Gwangju
    Sangju
    Jinju
    Seoul
    Jeonju
    Daegu
    Yangsan
    Gongju

Mongolia (an improvement over the Civ5 list)
    Qaraqorum
    Qaraqoto
    Aksu
    Urumqi
    Hami
    Almaliq
    Kokeqota
    Ulaanbaatar
    Qarabalghasun
    Choir

Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    Arnhem
    The Hague
    Haarlem
    Rotterdam
    Utrecht
    Tilburg
    Eindhoven
    Nijmegen
    Groningen
    Maastricht
    Apeldoorn
    Batavia

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM
  10. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

thanks for putting the list together, one of the things I can't wait to do after I finish my review of the expansion pack is to dig down into the code and put the city maps together.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  11. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

Very interesting stuff - kudos!

For the purposes of analysing how represented a region is though, these colour blob maps aren’t very helpful. In pure game terms, the civs are the cities that they inhabit and no more. They represent the core culture and political entity that leads the empire in question. For example, your map gives the impression Central America is full, but their is not one Central American city on the spanish city list. It’s conquered territory, not part of the Spain that Civ is representing.

I would be very interested in seeing a map with only data points for cities on it, and all the cities for all the civs (no city states). I think that would be a fairer and very interesting way of viewing Civ distribution

MarcosQuadros and bite like this.
  12. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

Guandao, Inlex and bite like this.
  13. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This might not be among the most valuable contributions to this thread but I really think there should be an achievement for using an Apostle or Missionary on this city when it's already following your religion, called "Preaching to the Choir" :mischief:

Zaarin, WillowBrook, Guandao and 4 others like this.
  14. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

Very nice job , I particularily appreciate the cities inclusion since I'm so poor at geography.

bite likes this.
  15. Inlex

Inlex Chieftain

@bite isn't it time to update this post's title? As far as I know, the mapping has been continued past the Nubia DLC. Might attract more 'viewers' that way ;-) I myself am a junkie for maps and map data. It's even part of my profession, as I'm a traffic and mobility engineer. Love to see the updates and am looking forward to R&F maps ;-)

nzcamel and bite like this.
  16. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Good point, I forgot to update it with SEA, though there will likely be a new thread once R&F is out

I tossed around about doing a map of just cities but it soon became apparent that it was not going to work just with America let alone those civs that overlap. This is why I have the individual city maps, the big map is the all in everything goes, but in the city maps it is just the core components.

Guandao and nzcamel like this.
  17. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

What do you mean when you say it wouldn’t work? What wasn’t working?

18. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

I tried out a map where I put every city for every civ on the same map, now before I committed myself to this I did a test mock up with just American cities.

With only American cities (and this is a civ with no overlap with any other civilization atm) it soon became a complete mess because of the number of cities in a the same area. Now add to this somewhere like Greece where there is three different civs in the same area, and civs like The Aztecs and Khmer where most of the cities are clustered in the one area, and a map like this becomes quickly impossible.

Now someone has set it up that they tagged every city on google maps, and that sort of works but even then it is too cluttered in places.

Zaarin, Guandao and nzcamel like this.
  19. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

I see - so it’s not an attractive visualisation. Thanks for the response!

20. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Imagine a game where both Jakarta and Batavia exist....
    I guess it's like having a game with both Constantinople and Istanbul.

nzcamel likes this.