Maps for RoM

Okay, I think I've got it now. :blush:

As I said before, I was able to give the GEM civs their proper names (Poland insted of HRE, etc), add Israel and Australia, and change the civ colors of the Yue and Mughals to match those of default GEM. I think I can safely say this is as close to the default GEM experience as it can get. :)

As for Eurasia, I moved a few civs to more accurate starting positions and added some more, as well as a few resource tweaks.

Well, that explains why I couldn't load GEM for ROM 2.5... downloading now. :)

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I noticed that there are no "normal" maps listed with RoM 2.5 to choose from (the standard ones that come with the BTS game). Is this because they are no longer compatible? And, is there some way to just turn off the marsh so it doesn't generate?

No hurry, we'll play what we have and wait to find out. :)

Not sure if this has been asked before, but can the civilizations in the GEM be edited? I know how to do it, but I tried it about a month ago and the map wouldn't load. Is it possible to use the extra civ addon civilizations, and 50 of them at that? Or is that just begging for a crash?

I was looking at doing that earlier, and the current version has 50 civs in it. Some of them are GEM-derivative (like Byzantium = Hungary) in naming conventions, but there's nothing that prevents editing just as if it was a normal Civ4 WBS file.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but can the civilizations in the GEM be edited? I know how to do it, but I tried it about a month ago and the map wouldn't load. Is it possible to use the extra civ addon civilizations, and 50 of them at that? Or is that just begging for a crash?

I tried removing them once myself, and I was able to load the map but it said I was defeated as soon as it started up. I don't know why it doesn't work.

I've been toying with the idea of adding in the addon civs if/when Zappara merges them into the main ROM download. On one hand, it'd be nice to have the city lists working properly, but on the other, I find the some of the addon civs horribly unbalanced (the Indian Sewer comes to mind).

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but I noticed that there are no "normal" maps listed with RoM 2.5 to choose from (the standard ones that come with the BTS game). Is this because they are no longer compatible? And, is there some way to just turn off the marsh so it doesn't generate?

Correct. They won't work without some editing. I could try converting one if you have a specific request.

I tried removing them once myself, and I was able to load the map but it said I was defeated as soon as it started up. I don't know why it doesn't work.

I've been toying with the idea of adding in the addon civs if/when Zappara merges them into the main ROM download. On one hand, it'd be nice to have the city lists working properly, but on the other, I find the some of the addon civs horribly unbalanced (the Indian Sewer comes to mind).

Yeah I was trying to replace America with the Iroquois and the Southern Chinese civilization (forgot the name) with the Hittites and I got that same error.

BTW just one minor fix is needed whenever you get the chance. I think Delhi needs to be moved to the west a little as it is in the northeastern part of modern India. According to google maps, it is directly southeast of Kabul (Mughal capital).

An addendum with further experience:

Those of us that upgraded 2.4 to 2.5 with the extra civ addon pack have normal maps listed, only the one that downloaded and installed the 2.5 full version, then tossed the two extra civ addons to it lacks all the maps. He hosts our games, so multiplayer is RoM maps, no problem really.

Our map last night did NOT have excessive marsh on it, btw. We excepted the fractal generation - would that influence it?

Yeah I was trying to replace America with the Iroquois and the Southern Chinese civilization (forgot the name) with the Hittites and I got that same error.

BTW just one minor fix is needed whenever you get the chance. I think Delhi needs to be moved to the west a little as it is in the northeastern part of modern India. According to google maps, it is directly southeast of Kabul (Mughal capital).

I think you're right. I moved it due southeast of the Mughals.

Anyway, I've been wanting to make some scenarios for ROM, but I have a few obstacles. So, a few question for map makers who happen to be reading this:

1. Has anyone else had trouble using the "Add all [era] techs" dropdown list in WorldBuilder? Sometimes it works correctly, other times it does nothing.

2. How can I stop religions from being automatically founded on an advanced start? I realize I'm not good at wording things, so let me give an example of what the problem is. On a classical era start, you'll have the techs needed to found 5 of the religions. So I go and set the holy cities for those religions, and a few turns later, I get a message telling me that 5 other religions have just been founded. It's like the game doesn't recognize that the ones I placed exist. Is there a way to stop this?

I think this has to do with the "1 religion per civ" mechanic, which also wreaks havoc if you raze a holy city. Zap will probably repair this bug.

Wow, I've been double posting a lot lately. Sorry. :blush: But I think this is worht mentioning.

According to Zappara, the next release is some time away, so I've taken some time to try and practice making a few scenarios for ROM. I think I've got an idea of the mechanics behind it, so I'm going to try something I've wanted to do for a long time; convert Genghis Kai's '200 BC Scenario' to ROM.

This won't be an easy task; I'm not promising that I can complete it, nor do I know how long it'll take. But I love that scenario and would love to see it on ROM, and I'm going to try my best to see it through. :)

I really would appreciate that. But, as well as the giant earth map, the 200 bc scenario should include some marsh/peat bog terrain I think. Would be nice if you would inlude that as well. Many thx in advance,

a snail mode GEMler

I really would appreciate that. But, as well as the giant earth map, the 200 bc scenario should include some marsh/peat bog terrain I think. Would be nice if you would inlude that as well. Many thx in advance,

a snail mode GEMler

Do you know of any terrain maps that illustrate where the marshes would be? I really don't know where to put them.

Also, I've been thinking. Do you guys think I should the Old World cutout of GEM instead of the full one for the scenario? I'm a little worried that having 35 civs on a giant map will cause MAFs aplenty, not to mention that it'd be more work for me. :p

Do you know of any terrain maps that illustrate where the marshes would be? I really don't know where to put them.

I would put some marshes in russia, for example near brest-litowsk, in the missisipi delta, florida, scandinavia, indonesia, britan, congo, etc...

Also, I've been thinking. Do you guys think I should the Old World cutout of GEM instead of the full one for the scenario? I'm a little worried that having 35 civs on a giant map will cause MAFs aplenty, not to mention that it'd be more work for me. :p

Absolutely, cut the new world out. I am entering the GEM 35 civ late renaissance aera right now (about 20 civs left) and a turn takes ~2 min loading time, mostly because of up to 5 awful AI requests/turn which I negate anyway
[dear zap if you read this: MOD THAT AI-BOTHERING OUT SOMEHOW PLEASE!!! - I WANT TO BE ABLE TO REFUSE TALKS!!!].
On the good side: no MAF yet.

Well, after mucking around with the worldbuilder save for a few hours and failing miserably, I've decided to put the 200 BC scenario on the backburner for while. I haven't given up on it (yet), but I'm primarily going to work on other stuff instead.

I'm going to try making a Punic Wars scenario, since I have a lot of books on that topic, and because that's what I really wanted from the 200BC map anyway. Also, I'm going to convert Uncopain's EUrope map to ROM because it's awesome and while I'm not the first to do it, I don't think it's been updated to work with 2.5.

Also, I'm going to convert Uncopain's EUrope map to ROM because it's awesome and while I'm not the first to do it, I don't think it's been updated to work with 2.5.

About this...about how many civs do you guys think there should be? I was thinking around 14, which would leave a lot of empty space, but the starting positions more equal. Or I could put in more civs to make some areas more crowded than others. Thoughts?

In the meantime, here's the GEM for ROM with India's starting location corrected.

Zappara, if you could replace the Eurasia map in the next version of ROM with the updated one in post 183, I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom