Maps for RoM

Is there any chance of the map that was for revolution (Rhye's Earth map) with I think 4 Starting civs, being converted to ROM? I love that map, but I need the new resources in it so I can build certain units.

Missed some posts I see...

I was just thinking earlier today that it might be fun to play WW I-II scenario with RoM techs&units. Maybe someone will make that kind of maps... ;)

RoM 2.4 (which I'm just trying to upload) has now 17 pre-made maps included but no World War scenarios yet among them.

Patience, laddies. I have some plans... but RoM keeps getting updated, so I can't give a date yet. I'll get there eventually, but if anyone beats me to it, that's fine with me.

@samson01234: Not sure if that's a map-related question... I'll leave the answer to zappara.

@wrestler 235: I used Rhye's original map as a template for RoM 2.3 Huge Earth 18 civs (included % compatible with v2.41); with the Custom Scenario option you can turn off any number of civs you don't want. Does that help?

The custom scenario doesn't let me turn off civs. The civs are locked in place. I tried just changing the file in notepad, and it worked, except most of my civs' starting locations are screwed up. Some have flipped locations with each other and some share a location. I've checked and the starting locations in the file are correct.

You're correct. I assumed Cust. Scen. would offer the same options as Cust. Game, but it doesn't. Perhaps if you just start a game with the first civ listed, Ctrl-W, delete all the civs you don't want, then save as WBS might be best. (If that works out OK, you'll have your own Custom x-civs Scenario; if you start it up, the deleted civs should not show up.)

I tried that once. I was able to play the game through, but as a WBS, it doesn't work. You go to the scenario screen, and after choosing your civ, and gettign the map loaded, it just says you have been defeated and ends the game.

Hm. Well, perhaps then you should just ask Rhye, as it was his map you were originally referring to.

The GEM for ROM map was kind of sloppy (there were still instances of aluminum not being replaced by bauxite and a few other such things) so I updated it. Hopefully all of the aluminum is gone now. I also changed the name to clarify that yes, it does work with version 2.4x.

The GEM for ROM map was kind of sloppy (there were still instances of aluminum not being replaced by bauxite and a few other such things) so I updated it. Hopefully all of the aluminum is gone now. I also changed the name to clarify that yes, it does work with version 2.4x.

I like the map but it has a "525 turns only" bug in it!

I played on snail-mode (3046 turn) but now, after 425 turns it says "100 turns left" - I know for sure I disabled time victory when customizing the game!

I know the same bug appeared in a earth map for normal bts, when game ended at 750 AD.

Can I do anything to edit the "525 turns only" thing out?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 153
I like the map but it has a "525 turns only" bug in it!

I played on snail-mode (3046 turn) but now, after 425 turns it says "100 turns left" - I know for sure I disabled time victory when customizing the game!

I know the same bug appeared in a earth map for normal bts, when game ended at 750 AD.

Can I do anything to edit the "525 turns only" thing out?

Hm, I never noticed that before. You could try opening the WBS file and editing the gamespeed and max number of turns - they're right at the top of the file - but I don't know if it would work. I might test it later, myself.

Hm, I never noticed that before. You could try opening the WBS file and editing the gamespeed and max number of turns - they're right at the top of the file - but I don't know if it would work. I might test it later, myself.

Yeah did that. Worked. Now I have 3046 turns in there.

Dont understand why someone put there 525 in the first place...

Yeah did that. Worked. Now I have 3046 turns in there.

Dont understand why someone put there 525 in the first place...

Ugh, I don't know. WBS saves are a royal pain in the ass to work with.

Still, I did find something useful. You can delete those two lines entirely, and it will allow all game speeds to work normally.

The Australia map is pretty awesome, albiet you have to start near some grass tiles or you're screwed. I've conquered/vassaliferated about 3/5ths of the mainland as well as some of the islands in the north.

Playing as Celts on Monarch. Started in the North center area, good land, didn't have many cities. The Indians which popped out of a barb city to my right hand side were wiped out by the Mongols, but in turn I culturally ate three of them. This put me in a position with five 20+ cities and another 3 15-20 size. To my East the Greeks became the dominant power with a large land area and about 3 vassals in tow. Distinct lack of iron meant I had to pay out HUGE amounts of gold to secure some from the Mali in the Islands (until they offered to be my vassal).

Due to technological superiority my cavalry/infantry/artillery force swept down and took the Assyrians from the central rivers and mid south coast, continued through and wiped out the Romans just above Tasmania. Then doubled back and went after the Mongols and their Carthagian vassals occupying the entire West coast. There is a big empty gap that I now ring around litered every 3 tiles with a demolished barb city.

Once Zappara releases the next mod version, I'll update the GEM for ROM to work with it within a few days. What's more, I'll be able to re-include Israel and Australia thanks to the new .dll. :)

I'm also going to re-evaluate the eurasia map, because it was one of the first maps I converted and it has some flaws I'm not happy with - Mali is too far east, Mongolia is way too far west, I forgot to include ROM resources in Scnadinavia, etc. I'm compiling a list of things I want to change in those maps, so if anyone has any idea for how to improve them, now's the time to mention them.

EDIT: I also found out how to give the civs in GEM their proper names. I don't know why it didn't work before...

Hey Jabarto
I love love love the Earth map.
But
I don't like all the civs on it.
I would prefer if it were mostly only the ancient civilizations, and then the newer ones came from them. I tried to fix this on my own, but with my minimal knowledge of modding, I seemed to have messed it up and the map won't load anymore... :(
So umm.. I guess my question is, how would I go about removing the civs I don't want? I tried just going into notepad and removing all of them myself, and then I changed France completely and made it the Celts. Here's how I did that.

BeginPlayer
Team=11
LeaderType=LEADER_BRENNUS
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_BRENNUS
CivDesc=Celtic Tribe
CivShortDesc=Celtia
CivAdjective=Celt
FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Celts.dds
WhiteFlag=1
CivType=CIVILIZATION_CELT
Color=PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_ORANGE
ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
PlayableCiv=1
MinorNationStatus=0
StartingGold=0
StartingX=84, StartingY=76
StateReligion=
StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
RandomStartLocation=false
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_CHIEFDOM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_POWER, Civic=CIVIC_OLIGARCHY
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_SOCIETY, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBAL
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_BARTER
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_FOLKLORE
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_WELFARE, Civic=CIVIC_SURVIVAL
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_FUTURE, Civic=CIVIC_NOTHING
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

Is there something I did wrong that made it not work anymore?

I also tweaked some of the colors of other civs if that helps.

Did you delete their TeamIDs as well? That'll probably throw it off. And don't forget to edit the starting techs, too.

I've never actually tried removing civs, though.

Thanks. I'll try that.
I'm assuming you mean for the Celts, I'll have to match it with the ones already in the XML.
And should I renumber the team numbers too?

jm dracolich

The only error I can see is in the line:

CivAdjective=Celt

I think it should be:

CivAdjective=Celtic

I arrived at this assumption by starting a random game with the ROM_Earth2 Map script and selecting Brennus as the 11th player. Then, I opened World Builder and made a save. I exited Civ4/RoM and looked at the WBsave in notepad. This was the only discrepancy I could see. (Other than start location, of course)

Not sure if this holds true with Jabarto's fine map (which I have played and enjoyed thoroughly the last few versions, Thank You, Jabarto!) But it seems possible that the CivAdjective term changed from "Celt" to "Celtic" in this latest version of ROM?

I could be completely wrong, heh. Seems strange that two letters missing from the CivAdjective could keep the entire map from loading. But, I think I read on these boards somewhere that it is the littlest things that can cause the biggest problems...

Hope this helps!
MM

Sounds about right (though I haven't checked myself).

Once Zappara releases the next mod version, I'll update the GEM for ROM to work with it within a few days. What's more, I'll be able to re-include Israel and Australia thanks to the new .dll. :)

I'm also going to re-evaluate the eurasia map, because it was one of the first maps I converted and it has some flaws I'm not happy with - Mali is too far east, Mongolia is way too far west, I forgot to include ROM resources in Scnadinavia, etc. I'm compiling a list of things I want to change in those maps, so if anyone has any idea for how to improve them, now's the time to mention them.

EDIT: I also found out how to give the civs in GEM their proper names. I don't know why it didn't work before...

Cool!:thumbsup: (Once I'm reacquainted with RoM, I want to add some scenarios as well.)

Top Bottom