Maps for RoM

Pearls - used this to represent mainly Paua - more common the colder it gets, the largest commercial harvest comes from the Chathams (the island way off shore).

Sulphur - No changes really, good job. NZ is the result of two tectonic plates smushing each other. Subsequently it explodes around the place. Especially volcanic is the central north island with the highly active Mt. Ruapehu which goes off every decade or two. While dealing with the central area I changed the mountain placement as it was quite a bit off for some reason =/
Added White Island though, the entire island is made of sulphur.

For Hemp (representing Flax), going from this map. Early settlers found it made excellent rope for ships, ships being the only way to and from NZ. Subsequently one of the first real trade relationships was Maori making flax, and trading it to settlers.

Salt - Apart from Lake Grassmere (Malborough sounds) which you've already covered, not sure wherelse to shove it. NZ has no actual salt deposits.

Potatoes - the ones in the north represent Kumara (sweet potato), the ones near fur represent the typical introduction by sealers and whalers (since they grow easily), and a few more (South island west coast, lower central north island) to represent the modern potato industry.

Coffee - a problem here, coffee really isn't commerically viable here. I chucked one up north at least, but in the end a few more might be arbitrary tossed about

Lemons - small citrus industries confined to the North and west coast of the north island.

Cotton - Another problem. Wrong climate, and traditionally: WOOL WOOL WOOL SHEEP SHEEP SHEEP. Can't think of anywhere to put it.

Olives - Confined to Far North and top of the South Island (from here

Apples - Large apples industry, mostly in the Nelson region (middle West coast, North island). A few more added to areas with rivers, though only a couple in the south due to the cold.

Tobacco - not really an industry here, just added to the typical settler sites.

Rubber - huge problem. Does not exist.

Overall I've also trimmed back resources in some areas as it's completely laden now (it was a bit heavy before). While in reality every hill would have sheep and every grassland cows, it would sorta screw things up :p

There is a huge disparity in terms of variety between North and South, but this reflects the actual situation as it has always been. On top of this, reflecting the settler mentality, these resources in turn tend to cluster around the natural harbours and bays, and along rivers.

If you started in the south it would be party time in the ancient age with all the stone, marble, copper, and gold. However in the North once things get going you'll benefit heavily from the variety of food and luxury resources.

Most abundant are coal, sheep, cows, fish, whales.

@CMKMStephens

I think you can leave out those general resources that aren't used in NZ industry. New strategic resources like Sulphur and Salt are more important since there are buildings/units/other resources that require these bonuses. For Sulphur I looked volcano map and placed resource on those hot spots :) Same for Salt, since Lake Grassmere is in middle of map, it also works as cause for conflicts because the resource isn't available anywhere else on that map. Clustering some resources to different parts of map will help on trading between players. Rubber you can skip totally if you want - there's building that makes synthetic rubber (made of oil products) so units can use that instead of vulcanized rubber (made of rubber). Downside is that units requiring any rubber resources will appear later in game. Coffee/Cotton/Tobacco you don't really need on that map as those are just health/happiness/gold resources.

Edit: Once you save that map in worldbuilder mode it puts changes some infos in the map file - it adds all those Civs that you have in current game, their starting locations and all game settings. I found it best to keep copy of map before it was edited and from it copy the default settings I want to have in that map file. Oh, I think I forgot to remove some starting location infos from civ starting coordinates after I had edited the map...

@CMKMStephens

I think you can leave out those general resources that aren't used in NZ industry. New strategic resources like Sulphur and Salt are more important since there are buildings/units/other resources that require these bonuses. For Sulphur I looked volcano map and placed resource on those hot spots :) Same for Salt, since Lake Grassmere is in middle of map, it also works as cause for conflicts because the resource isn't available anywhere else on that map. Clustering some resources to different parts of map will help on trading between players. Rubber you can skip totally if you want - there's building that makes synthetic rubber (made of oil products) so units can use that instead of vulcanized rubber (made of rubber). Downside is that units requiring any rubber resources will appear later in game. Coffee/Cotton/Tobacco you don't really need on that map as those are just health/happiness/gold resources.

Edit: Once you save that map in worldbuilder mode it puts changes some infos in the map file - it adds all those Civs that you have in current game, their starting locations and all game settings. I found it best to keep copy of map before it was edited and from it copy the default settings I want to have in that map file. Oh, I think I forgot to remove some starting location infos from civ starting coordinates after I had edited the map...

Yeah, there was a bunch of civs lurking around. I'm not quite sure how to dispose of them since my own attempts to convert the map didn't work.

If you don't want any preset Civs in the map ie. you want random civs and random amount of them in random locations do this after you've placed resources:

You can remove units in worldbuilder by choosing civ (leader) and then right clicking its units to delete them. After that fix the visibility map for each leader in worldbuilder (can be done in notepad too but it's faster in worldbuilder). Save the map and open it in notepad. Then copy next text block over the stuff that's currently in the map file:

Spoiler :
Code:
BeginGame
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
	GameTurn=0
	StartYear=-6000
	Description= add your map description here....
	ModPath=
EndGame
BeginTeam
	TeamID=0
	ContactWithTeam=0
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=1
	ContactWithTeam=1
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=2
	ContactWithTeam=2
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=3
	ContactWithTeam=3
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=4
	ContactWithTeam=4
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=5
	ContactWithTeam=5
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=6
	ContactWithTeam=6
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=7
	ContactWithTeam=7
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=8
	ContactWithTeam=8
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=9
	ContactWithTeam=9
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=10
	ContactWithTeam=10
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=11
	ContactWithTeam=11
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=12
	ContactWithTeam=12
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=13
	ContactWithTeam=13
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=14
	ContactWithTeam=14
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=15
	ContactWithTeam=15
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=16
	ContactWithTeam=16
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=17
	ContactWithTeam=17
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=18
	ContactWithTeam=18
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=19
	ContactWithTeam=19
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=20
	ContactWithTeam=20
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=21
	ContactWithTeam=21
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=22
	ContactWithTeam=22
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=23
	ContactWithTeam=23
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=24
	ContactWithTeam=24
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=25
	ContactWithTeam=25
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=26
	ContactWithTeam=26
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=27
	ContactWithTeam=27
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=28
	ContactWithTeam=28
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=29
	ContactWithTeam=29
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=30
	ContactWithTeam=30
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=31
	ContactWithTeam=31
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=32
	ContactWithTeam=32
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=33
	ContactWithTeam=33
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=34
	ContactWithTeam=34
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=35
	ContactWithTeam=35
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=36
	ContactWithTeam=36
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=37
	ContactWithTeam=37
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=38
	ContactWithTeam=38
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginTeam
	TeamID=39
	ContactWithTeam=39
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=0
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=1
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=2
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=3
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=4
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=5
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=6
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=7
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=8
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
  	LeaderType=NONE
  	CivType=NONE
   	Team=9
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer

LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=10
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=11
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=12
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer	
	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=13
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=14
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=15
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=16
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   	LeaderType=NONE
   	CivType=NONE
   	Team=17
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=18
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=19
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=20
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=21
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=22
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=23
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=24
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=25
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=26
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=27
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=28
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=29
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=30
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=31
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=32
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=33
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=34
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=35
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=36
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=37
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=38
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
	Team=39
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
	Color=NONE
	ArtStyle=NONE
EndPlayer
With above defines player can choose game speed, game options like victory conditions, civ amount (2-40) and they'll start at random locations.

You'll have now good base if you want to make more scenarios on the same map - to make scenario, just choose the options you want for map and the civs you want there to be and just save the map in worldbuilder with a name that describes the scenario. It's probably possible to make Maori "civ" out of Barbarian civ by forcing different name for it and have them act like barbarians.. or make them minor unplayable civ. For example I forced in Mediterranean map spanish people to appear as Iberians who originally were the tribe people that lived in spain's area.

I figured it out anyway :p

Why doesn't this game have a real map editor =/

Attachments

• NZ Current.zip
    32.7 KB · Views: 66
@CMKMStephens

There's TeamReveal=0,3, etc. in most map coordinates on that map. That means those coords are visible to Teams with those numbers. There's map mode in worldbuilder to change the visibility fog. Each player has own settings for all coords... but seems you added zeros in front of teams for teams 0-9 so all players probably have completely black map at start anyway...

Ok, revealed tiles disposed of.

Attachments

• NZ Current.zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
That New Zealand map is now included in the map pack. :)

I had started making "Colonization" -type of map with preset Civilizations and today I read here on forums that Firaxis has announced Colonization 2 game. Got to try finish my Colonization map before that game is released :D

My colonization map (North+South America) will have Native American, Iroquois, Aztec, Maya, Inca civs at their correct places - some with several cities, each native civ will have techs at the same level as they had in real life. European Civs will start on locations they originally founded their first colonies and their tech trees are updated up to start of Renaissance era. Not sure if they actually have 1st city already started or if they have settler+musketman in galleon at the game start. So far Native American (Sioux), Iroquois and Aztec have been made so there's still lots of stuff left to do.

Another map that I've started converting to RoM 2 is the Demographica - europe map which to me seem to be better than the one I already converted. Some half dozen Civs has been so far added to the map and some resources have been tweaked a bit.

I'm looking for Africa map and Australia map (with indonesia and surrounding islands included). Both could be used for colonial time scenarios.

But first I like to convert and make pack of basic maps that can be later used for different kind of scenarios by anyone who wants to make scenarios for RoM 2.

I've said it before, but while you're updating the addon Civ pack, could you add the Maori's into there as well? I can make all sorts of similarly interesting colonisation Scenario's once that's done. The main problem is seperating the English Civ from the NZ civ, and trying not to offend anyone with the whole conquest of race thing.

The best situation I can think of is a 1700's start, Maori's start on NZ with a few towns, other civs (English, French, Australians, Dutch) start off with settlers in Galleons. Peace for a large number of turns (so that Galleon's don't sink each other...), civs are free to sail and settle somewhere nice. The biggest problem is here as in your America one is also tech, in all honesty the Maori hardly built in stone, let alone work metal (comparison to Aztecs, both made sharpened Jade/greenstone weapons). The European civs would be well loaded up to pre-industrial techs.

The Maori upon contact with europeans adapted their things like agricultural techniques, trade, Muskets, tactics, and so on within a space of 50 years prior to the signing of the treaty of Waitangi. Very rapid. This was due to early settlers being quite reliant on Maori for things like food and service, and subsequently trading these aforementioned kinds of things for them. Other things such as laws, religion, and literacy were gained through interaction with Missionaries. When the English settlers filled with social darwinist ideas post 1850's attempted to take their land thinking they'd overwhelm them with ease, they were rudely suprised. The Maori even elected a King to give a more united war effort.

The problem is, what incentive is there in the game for the European civs to cough up their techs rather than just rush build musketmen and dispose of the Maori? On the flipside, what incentive is there for the Maori civ not to rushbuild axemen or whatever and dispose of the Europeans? I'm not sure if there's any way to actually reflect this situation at all in a scenario, and in the end just start everyone off with no techs bar their two starters.

Alternatively,

1800's start: Several Maori towns
French start on South Island - West Coast with Capital city of Akaroa
English Start on North Island - Far north with Capital of Russell

1860s: Landwars 1v1: large Maori presence in Central North Island, North of South island, NZ civ cities on the periphery.

All interested parties scenario: Though placements would be weird, Maori, English, Scottish, Irish, (New Zealand?), Australia, Polynesia, French, Dutch.

Maybe some silly Japanese invasion WWII scenario as well between Japan, NZ, and Australia.

Appologies for bombarding you with New Zealandness :p

I've noticed a problem I can't get rid of, the map always starts you in the same position atm, the farthest north.

I just finished making a RoM 2.2 version of Giant Earth Map (Ancient Resources 5.1) by Genghis Kai... but I'm not sure how to put it up for download or if I need permission to do it so if someone could help me with that, I'd appreciate it @.@

It's a massive Earth map which I fit ALL the empires of RoM 2.2 (without the addons) so that's a total of 39 empires...

The empires have been placed as close to their historical sites as I could guesstimate. The exception is Byzantine and Ottoman empires... Since they both start in the same place (Constantinople/Istanbul) I put the Ottomans north west of the actual starting location and kept Constantinople in the proper place... The reason for North West instead of in the country of Turkey was because I already have other civs in Turkey and there wasn't any room left ^.^;;

Those that aren't familiar with Giant Earth Map, it's a 210x90 map of Earth with enlarged Eurasian continent. (and for those that learned the 7 continent system, European and Asian continents)

There's lots of islands, especially in the pacific... and lots of space in general.

I sprinkled RoM 2.2 resources in their historic locations, the only one I didn't quite know much about was Salt which I put a little bit everywhere on the shores next to oceans since you can technically get salt from the ocean.

I think this map is good for long games, especially at Snail pace.

@sartha

Zip the map and then upload it to Earth map section or attach the zip file to your post. Though it's easier to find if it's uploaded to the file database -> most people look files from there. Just mention that it requires RoM 2.2 so people won't try running that map without RoM 2.2. I'll try to include ready made maps to RoM patches as well.

Hi!
At first i have to say i love RoM! ts one of the best mods for Civ/Bts!
But here is my problem
I've tried to make this map (giant europe) run under RoM2.2:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=151241
But it crashes to desktop at "initializing" when the map is loading.
what do i have to do to make it run?
-civics are added (health & education)
-startyear is -6000
-start-techs are changed mining -> stone tools; mysticism -> ritualism
-changed flags
-changed artstyles

O snap its a Giant Map:)..I cant even really Handel Huge maps with my PC that exceedes reccomended specs:)...well Gonna try it anyways

Top Bottom