Maps of the World

I just found out if you wish to earn Steam achievements off these maps, move the map files to ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Maps\

If you play a map from a mod Steam achievements are disabled. :)

I've been playing the TSL maps and getting acheivements. I go through the mod browser to load my games because I found that if you don't, other mods you activated don't seem to work (the clock widget).

Then again, I did not get the Magellan achievement when I circumnavigated the Earth!!!

Should I move the folder too or just the maps?

EDIT: And will updates overwrite them?

Been playing the Europe map and Rome and has never started in Italy on over 5-6 startups.

My units stopped gaining xp from battles around turn 140ish and experiencing some CTDS on loading save (which hasn't happened to me while using the vanilla maps).

Been playing the Europe map and Rome and has never started in Italy on over 5-6 startups.

My units stopped gaining xp from battles around turn 140ish and experiencing some CTDS on loading save (which hasn't happened to me while using the vanilla maps).

These are not true start maps. If you've only been fighting barbs, units can only gain 30 XP from barb units.

I downloaded them and they look cool. I'm worried about the size though... Aren't huge maps more prone to long waiting times for AI turns in the later stages of the game?

I downloaded them and they look cool. I'm worried about the size though... Aren't huge maps more prone to long waiting times for AI turns in the later stages of the game?

I have been playing the huge TSL Earth map and I have made it to renaissance so far (closing in on Industrial). I can say that there is a bit of a wait time, but it is not too bad. That may change when it gets closer to the modern age, and when there are massive wars going on... but that I can't say for certain yet.

That said, the map started with 18 civs and almost all of the city-states that I could tell. Though, several of the CSs in Europe were illiminated almost immediately and three Civs (France, Germany and Greece) have all been wiped out. How much that all plays a factor in the AI turn time, I can't say for certain.

Are some of these the same as the pre-order exclusives? (mesopotamia for steam, north america for walmart or w/e)?

Are some of these the same as the pre-order exclusives? (mesopotamia for steam, north america for walmart or w/e)?

No. There were made by me from real satellite pictures of the areas, plus some information regarding forest cover in ancient times. These maps are not the Firaxis pre-order exclusives.

Hey Dale -Can you please improve UK and New Zealand a little on your maps - The UK seems a little small and New Zealand doesn't have those mountain ranges and isn't 2 small islands.

I think you want the "True Start Location Earth Maps" thread not this one. I haven't done one of these maps with New Zealand. :)

Great maps! I'm playing on the European man and I'm enjoying control of the Iberian peninsular. :D I'm wondering how you're able to make your custom maps for Civ 5 when the tools are supposedly not released?

Also perhaps someday you could put in the starting positions for the relevant civilizations (i.e. European civilizations in their proper place on a Europe map) and then use the other civ's to fill in for the civ's on the map that aren't in the game? (i.e. America would take the place of Sweden, Japan would take the place of Greece)

How huge could be the largest selfmade map? Any restriction in the amount of hex fields?
I allways would have loved to play Civ with hundret of different nations. Of course this would only make sence if the amount of hex fields would increase to a certain scale, so there is still place to settle for each Civ. To say it more concrete I´d like to have a world map with the scale of the European map from Civ4. Would this be feasible in Civ5?

How huge could be the largest selfmade map? Any restriction in the amount of hex fields?
I allways would have loved to play Civ with hundret of different nations. Of course this would only make sence if the amount of hex fields would increase to a certain scale, so there is still place to settle for each Civ. To say it more concrete I´d like to have a world map with the scale of the European map from Civ4. Would this be feasible in Civ5?

At the moment, no chance.

The largest currently possible is 120 x 80 hexes in the mapmaker.

I'm wondering how you're able to make your custom maps for Civ 5 when the tools are supposedly not released?

I helped beta test the mod tools. :)

I don't suppose this comes with a TSL variation so that the french start in their île de france and germany east of the Elbe.

Well...it seems I'm not the first one to ask for such...but I guess we'll have to wait for the mod tools...

Nvm, mod tools were released...

No. There were made by me from real satellite pictures of the areas, plus some information regarding forest cover in ancient times. These maps are not the Firaxis pre-order exclusives.

Hi Dale,

I don't suppose you just eyeballed these satellite pictures and drew these by hand. Is there an easy way to import a bitmap or something into world builder so you can at least start with a close approximation? How did you do this?

When I tried to make a map, I put a hex overlay on it to help, but I'm no Dale.

@Dale: any chance for an enlarged mesoamerica map? :D

Hi Dale,

I don't suppose you just eyeballed these satellite pictures and drew these by hand. Is there an easy way to import a bitmap or something into world builder so you can at least start with a close approximation? How did you do this?

I have this question too. Is there a way to rely mostly on satellite data? And if yes, could you share a few details about the process with us?

Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom