[MAPSCRIPT] FaireWeather.py for Colonization

cephalo

Deity
This is a large map script for Colonization that simulates earth like plate tectonics and weather patterns caused by geostrophic and monsoon winds. It is similar to my PerfectWorld mapscript for Civ IV, but with a new climate engine that is both better and faster. The climate model uses four seasons of rainfall. During the northern summer, continental heating creates a northern low pressure zone that draws moisure into the continent from the ocean. In winter, or the southern summer, the same thing happens in the south. During spring and fall, the wind brings moisture from the ocean according to the prevailing, or geostrophic wind. The climate on a plot is determined by how much total rainfall it gets throughout the year. The cooler high altitude plots tend to cause more moisture in the air to fall as rain and depleting the moisture potential, creating rain shadows on the leeward side of a mountain range in a natural way.

There is an option to adjust the distance to Europe along the coast. The default is 4 tiles, with options for 3,6 and 8. There is also an option to change the land forms to choose large continents or smaller islands.

To use this file, download it here from the downloads database and put it in your Colonization\PublicMaps folder. Also, this map is somewhat slower than the stock mapscripts and Col will become unresponsive during generation. Just give it a couple of minutes.

Here are some screenshots of some 'huge' maps (50x100)
Spoiler :

Here are some of huge maps with the 'More Islands' option
Spoiler :

Here are some standard size maps (30x60)
Spoiler :

Here are some standard Island maps
Spoiler :

Here are some close ups, notice the rain shadow in the second picture.
Spoiler :

Version history:
1.04 - Fixed a copy and paste bug that overwrote changes the land percent. Also, made separate filters for temperature and altitude filters. This allows some better definition to the mountain ranges.

1.03 - Fixed a problem with mountain ranges forming between the map content edge and the water band added to ensure distance to Europe. Fixed a problem where light forest was placed on a lake.

1.02 - Maps really were too large so I shrank them and made them taller than they are wide. Added an option for distance to Europe. Added a land forms option for more or less islands.

1.01 - Fix for multiplayer

Attachments

• FW_Close1.jpg
    FW_Close1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 11,512
  • Huge_Normal2.jpg
    Huge_Normal2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8,358
  • Huge_Islands1.jpg
    Huge_Islands1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 8,202
  • Huge_Normal1.jpg
    Huge_Normal1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 8,468
  • Huge_Islands2.jpg
    Huge_Islands2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 8,251
  • Standard_Normal2.jpg
    Standard_Normal2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8,303
  • Standard_Normal1.jpg
    Standard_Normal1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 8,155
  • Standard_Islands1.jpg
    Standard_Islands1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 8,115
  • Standard_Islands2.jpg
    Standard_Islands2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8,195
  • RainShadow_Close.jpg
    RainShadow_Close.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 8,788
Very nice! I played 100 or so turns with it this evening, and I really like the map. I'm not smart enough to put my finger on the differences, but somehow the map just "feels" more realistic. Good work!

Veeery nice.

In fact, one of the worst things in Civ4Col are the appalling map scripts, which generate TOO random maps. This is exactly the thing it needs :)

Many thanks!

doesn't work for multiplayer, gets OOS error every time. And yes both players have the file.

Wow, MUCH better.
It seems like there's a whole lot of food (fish/crab/corn) tiles though.

doesn't work for multiplayer, gets OOS error every time. And yes both players have the file.

Awe I forgot to add something, I'll try to fix that tonight.

Ok, these maps are great! When they say "large" it is absolutely huge.

I'm having a problem though during the WoI. The first wave of attacks come, and I kill them off, but after about 30 turns, still no second wave. This has never happened in the vanilla maps. I'm also running Dale's patch, so that might be the reason too.

I'm wondering if the maps are soooo big that the REF can't find its way back ?

I've attached the save for you to check.

Attachments

• Ryan AD-1733.ColonizationSave
    451 KB · Views: 347
Ok, these maps are great! When they say "large" it is absolutely huge.

I'm having a problem though during the WoI. The first wave of attacks come, and I kill them off, but after about 30 turns, still no second wave. This has never happened in the vanilla maps. I'm also running Dale's patch, so that might be the reason too.

I'm wondering if the maps are soooo big that the REF can't find its way back ?

I've attached the save for you to check.

I had a look at this, and I don't know what to say. Those two MoW's are just changing places. I'm not sure what relevant changes are in the patch mod, so I can't say if it's a pathfinding problem related to the map. I'm in the middle of a WoI myself using the normal game, and they are still going strong.

Those look very nice ceph, definite improvement off the stock generator

Do you have anything like this for civ 4?

:)

Check out the link in my sig for PerfectWorld. It's based on a similar although less refined climate system. That was my first map. I may replace that in the future with something based on this climate engine which is more versatile.

I like the overall appearance of the maps.

But how can i remove/undo the increase in size of the maps ?
I removed the getGridSize method, as i would do with Civ4, but it stopped working at all... (Generating all grassland map.)

Edit.: For now hardcoded different numbers in the getGridSize method, and it works, but i would really prefer the script using the values as defined in the XML.

Top Bottom