1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[MAPSCRIPT] FaireWeather.py for Colonization

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mods and Files' started by cephalo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

This is a large map script for Colonization that simulates earth like plate tectonics and weather patterns caused by geostrophic and monsoon winds. It is similar to my PerfectWorld mapscript for Civ IV, but with a new climate engine that is both better and faster. The climate model uses four seasons of rainfall. During the northern summer, continental heating creates a northern low pressure zone that draws moisure into the continent from the ocean. In winter, or the southern summer, the same thing happens in the south. During spring and fall, the wind brings moisture from the ocean according to the prevailing, or geostrophic wind. The climate on a plot is determined by how much total rainfall it gets throughout the year. The cooler high altitude plots tend to cause more moisture in the air to fall as rain and depleting the moisture potential, creating rain shadows on the leeward side of a mountain range in a natural way.

There is an option to adjust the distance to Europe along the coast. The default is 4 tiles, with options for 3,6 and 8. There is also an option to change the land forms to choose large continents or smaller islands.

To use this file, download it here from the downloads database and put it in your Colonization\PublicMaps folder. Also, this map is somewhat slower than the stock mapscripts and Col will become unresponsive during generation. Just give it a couple of minutes.

Here are some screenshots of some 'huge' maps (50x100)
    Spoiler :

Here are some of huge maps with the 'More Islands' option
    Spoiler :

Here are some standard size maps (30x60)
    Spoiler :

Here are some standard Island maps
    Spoiler :

Here are some close ups, notice the rain shadow in the second picture.
    Spoiler :

Version history:
    1.04 - Fixed a copy and paste bug that overwrote changes the land percent. Also, made separate filters for temperature and altitude filters. This allows some better definition to the mountain ranges.

1.03 - Fixed a problem with mountain ranges forming between the map content edge and the water band added to ensure distance to Europe. Fixed a problem where light forest was placed on a lake.

1.02 - Maps really were too large so I shrank them and made them taller than they are wide. Added an option for distance to Europe. Added a land forms option for more or less islands.

1.01 - Fix for multiplayer

Attached Files:

2. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

reserved for future

3. shibdib

shibdib Chieftain

sounds interesting, gonna give it a try

4. Quueg

Quueg Chieftain

Very nice! I played 100 or so turns with it this evening, and I really like the map. I'm not smart enough to put my finger on the differences, but somehow the map just "feels" more realistic. Good work!

5. Madeira

Madeira Chieftain

Looks good, im going to try it

6. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Thanks cephalo!

7. niidel

niidel Chieftain

Veeery nice.

In fact, one of the worst things in Civ4Col are the appalling map scripts, which generate TOO random maps. This is exactly the thing it needs :)

Many thanks!

8. bbob

bbob Chieftain

looks like loc1 maps :D

great work

9. danomite

danomite Chieftain

doesn't work for multiplayer, gets OOS error every time. And yes both players have the file.

10. TechnoMule

TechnoMule Chieftain

Wow, MUCH better.
    It seems like there's a whole lot of food (fish/crab/corn) tiles though.

11. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Awe I forgot to add something, I'll try to fix that tonight.

12. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Ok, I posted a new version that should work with multiplayer, let me know if you have any trouble.

13. rsmithuf

rsmithuf Chieftain

Ok, these maps are great! When they say "large" it is absolutely huge.

I'm having a problem though during the WoI. The first wave of attacks come, and I kill them off, but after about 30 turns, still no second wave. This has never happened in the vanilla maps. I'm also running Dale's patch, so that might be the reason too.

I'm wondering if the maps are soooo big that the REF can't find its way back ?

I've attached the save for you to check.

Attached Files:

14. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

I had a look at this, and I don't know what to say. Those two MoW's are just changing places. I'm not sure what relevant changes are in the patch mod, so I can't say if it's a pathfinding problem related to the map. I'm in the middle of a WoI myself using the normal game, and they are still going strong.

15. Modfather

Modfather Chieftain

Those look very nice ceph, definite improvement off the stock generator

16. The Fool King

The Fool King Chieftain

This script certainly puts Firaxis' original to shame.

17. darkerbeats

darkerbeats Chieftain

Do you have anything like this for civ 4?

:)

18. cephalo

cephalo Chieftain

Check out the link in my sig for PerfectWorld. It's based on a similar although less refined climate system. That was my first map. I may replace that in the future with something based on this climate engine which is more versatile.

19. darkerbeats

darkerbeats Chieftain

Thanks, it's great

:)

20. Refar

Refar Chieftain

I like the overall appearance of the maps.

But how can i remove/undo the increase in size of the maps ?
    I removed the getGridSize method, as i would do with Civ4, but it stopped working at all... (Generating all grassland map.)

Edit.: For now hardcoded different numbers in the getGridSize method, and it works, but i would really prefer the script using the values as defined in the XML.