1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MapView 2.0 - Civilization 4 Editor

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Utility Programs' started by Gr3yHound, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Thorn

Thorn King

I know I'm doing something wrong. When I convert a pic to a map and save as a BTS WorldBuilder file, Civ4 keeps crashing when I try to load it. Do I have to manually edit it in notepad before it will load? If so, what needs to be changed? :confused:

2. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

The default version does some improper export.

Check this reply on page 12
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8601140&postcount=230

The Problem seems that MapView has those values at "NONE" by default, which is wrong.

So you have to options, change the necessary lines via notepad or use mapview to define valid values for those.

world size=WORLDSIZE_SMALL
    climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
    sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM

Edit:

http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/MapView#BTS_Maps_created_with_MapView_crash

3. AveiMil

AveiMil Prince

Hey Grey, you working on functionality that allows me to rotate layers 90 degrees? I could really use it for my next maps :)

4. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Yep .. but don't rely on it too early ;D
    i have some spare time now, let's see how things work out.

5. Thorn

Thorn King

6. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

Hey, I am really looking forward to using this tool, but I do not know how to install it. I download it, extract to desktop with winzip, and do not know where to go from there. Sorry if I sound stupid, not the most tech savvy person in the world. I use XP by the way.

7. Thorn

Thorn King

If you extracted it on your desktop there should be a folder call MapView there. Go into it and run the mapview.exe file.

8. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

Now, I did what you said, and when I open it, in the run log, I get this:

18:11:08: Error: Can't read value of 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\INSTALLDIR' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
    18:11:08: Civilization 4 detected...
    18:11:08: Guessing Warlords: \Warlords
    18:11:08: Warlords ... failed
    18:11:08: Guessing Beyond the Sword: \Beyond the Sword
    18:11:08: Beyond the Sword ... failed
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Terrain\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Terrain\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Buildings\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Units\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Units\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Misc\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\GameInfo\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Technologies\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\GameInfo\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\BasicInfos\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\BasicInfos\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Interface\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Civilizations\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Civilizations\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Text\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:09: Error: Can not enumerate files in directory '\Assets\XML\Text\' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)
    18:11:10: CreateCoast 1.0
    18:11:10: Editor 1.3
    18:11:10: LandscapePlacer 1.2
    18:11:10: Pic2Map 1.0
    18:11:10: Remover 1.0
    18:11:10: RiverPlace 1.0
    18:11:10: TeamReveal 1.0
    18:11:10: TileToText 1.0
    18:11:11: Font loaded:./arial.ttf
    18:11:12: MapView 2.0.9 is up to date!
    18:11:13: CreateCoast 1.0.0 is up to date!
    18:11:14: Editor 1.3.4 is up to date!
    18:11:15: LandscapePlacer 1.2.0 is up to date!
    18:11:16: Pic2Map 1.0.0 is up to date!
    18:11:17: Remover 1.0.0 is up to date!
    18:11:17: RiverPlace 1.0.0 is up to date!
    18:11:18: TeamReveal 1.0.0 is up to date!
    18:11:19: TileToText 1.0.0 is up to date!

Also, the buttons aren't there, and I really can't do anything.

9. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Hi,
    i just thought i have some fun today ;)

10. Osymandias

Osymandias Grand King of Apes

:eek: awesome

11. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

Sorry for the late response,
    have you tried to define your civilization directory using the "File" Menu where you can set the Civ directory by yourself?

12. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

Hey, sorry I've been away for so long; I will get buttons/art if needed soon

I am on Windows 7, and whenever I try to load a mod in Mapview 2.09, it doesn't really do anything, or it stops. Then, when I click near the top of the screen, it will say not responding and I have to exit out. EDIT: it does this for all mods I have tried

Any ideas? Windows 7 should be no different than Vista so I'm guessing that's not the problem (well, haven't had any trouble with anything else, ever)

Thanks!

13. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

I'm an idiot.

How do i move the layer around? I don't know how to move around the layer so I can edit other parts of the map without being centered at (0,0).

14. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Does that hexagon-map actually work?

15. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Now I'm really an idiot.

I found out by going to the mapview wiki.

In my defense, I rarely use the left mouse button. I usually just click the touchpad (I have a laptop), and for some reason, it doesn't register that in mapview.

16. acivguy55

acivguy55 Chieftain

I have not tried this out yet but, can you open other map/scenario files and modify them?

17. kevinman4404

kevinman4404 Lightning Warrior

of course; I always thought that is what it was mainly used for (before this nice newer version I used to have to make maps with another program and then edit them with mapview)

I hope he's not gone but alas one can't stick around forever

18. acivguy55

acivguy55 Chieftain

Sounds good. However, can you edit the # of players with this program?

19. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

I got a question. Every time i try to copy something in Mapwiev it simply stops to run and my computer exit the program. This keeps happening even if I did the same earlier this week, yes even earlier today, without any problems. Why is this?

20. acivguy55

acivguy55 Chieftain

Hi, i finally got around using the program (which looks sweet) but whenever i click in the toolbar mouse button so I can move (focus) the screen, nothing happens; what am I doing wrong?