• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Marble speeds up Wonders

First I thought the roads in CiV no longer serve any purpose other than transporting units. Then I 'accidentally' connected a marble quarry to my city with a road and got informed that this would speed up the construction of wonders in that city.

Now, the question is: how should I have known it? I have searched the manual and it mentions nothing of the kind. Neither does the Civilopedia (I'm playing the demo, though). Is this an undocumented feature, then? Are there more?

You get that bonus for simply improving it with a quarry

I had a Quarry on a Marble resource in my capital (without a road) from early on but only much later after I conquered a rival capital with another Marble (with a road) did I get the message of a Wonder bonus. I do not know if I actually had the bonus all along but only got the message later or what. Will definitely check in the next game.

I just had a quick look and I didn't get the message, but definitely have the bonus of 25% wonder building.
So the problem probably isn't in the bonus itself, but more in the message being displayed or not?

Note: I'm playing the demo.

I only have the demo. Could someone with the complete game answer this question please :

The fact that marble speed up wonder building time is documented somewhere in game?

The more intriguing question is how does the game decide which city will get the bonus to wonder production? In my game (the demo, Egypt) the quarry is right between my two cities (2 tiles away from both of them). What puzzles me is why does it give the bonus to the second city? It was the first one (the capital) which expanded its borders to this tile. The second one was not even working it!

I'm happy that the new features are more than the reported ones (for example the fact that you can ask AI to not build around you, or that you can have bonunses in city with a particular strategic resource like horse). The fact that they are not documented in the 'pedia doesnt' matter to me, instead that adds a nice sense of discovering and experiencing, also for ultra veteran strategy gamers.

I'm happy that the new features are more than the reported ones (for example the fact that you can ask AI to not build around you, or that you can have bonunses in city with a particular strategic resource like horse). The fact that they are not documented in the 'pedia doesnt' matter to me, instead that adds a nice sense of discovering and experiencing, also for ultra veteran strategy gamers.

Yes, but it has to be clear ingame. Getting transparent bonuses is not fun. If I am getting a bonus I want to notice it.
Then again, I probably just missed the message bubble about the marble

I was in the beta, and I can confirm that you do not need a road to get that bonus.

Well if the bonus exists in the final build, there's no information in the game that indicates that: I've had marble with a quarry and never got any pop-up or notification that it increased wonder build speed (for just that city?). Why is everything so hard to understand :cry:

The more intriguing question is how does the game decide which city will get the bonus to wonder production? In my game (the demo, Egypt) the quarry is right between my two cities (2 tiles away from both of them). What puzzles me is why does it give the bonus to the second city? It was the first one (the capital) which expanded its borders to this tile. The second one was not even working it!

If the bonus exists, it would likely go to the city that acquired the tile: if you don't remember than try to build a wonder and mouse-over the production info tooltip: if you see the bonus then it's that city :)

There's so much missing in-game information it's definitely frustrating. Things as simple as what effects tile improvements will have on the tile's output are spotty at best (until you have the worker in the tile and hover over the improvement icon; I'd really like to know *before* that what exactly pasturizing those sheep is going to earn me).

As if that weren't bad enough, there are also some bugs:

Yes, not only did the advisor recommend I build a railroad in a resource tile to "connect the resource to my trade network", but if you look closely there, it was a resource OUTSIDE MY CULTURAL BORDERS. This was in my first game, so I actually thought maybe there was an undocumented feature to connect resources outside your borders by building a (rail)road to them. Of course it didn't even give me the option to build a pasture, but I figured hey, tooltip said to, let's try it. One railroad later, of course it didn't add to my horse count. Just a bad tooltip. Oh well.

Would actually be nice to have SOME method of adding resources in contested territory. The only oil in the entire world being at the polar ice cap makes for some pretty poor city placement just to get at it.

Attachments

• BuggedTooltip.jpg
    BuggedTooltip.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 461
I confirm on the demo with Ramses, it does speed the wonders. But it's not clearly identified to the marble... That's bad.

We'll have to report that I guess.

That's the sort of things you get when you're simplifying the UI (I still like this UI though)

Schuesseled was right, and I was wrong. Roads are not necessary. The bonus applies the moment you construct the Quarry. It is just the notification that seems to appear irregularly (perhaps tied to whether you have a wonder to construct at that moment?)

There's another bug with tooltips, if you don't have mining but have calendar, and have a resource on top of a jungle or forest, the mouse-over tooltip does not mention that you will need an extra tech in order to chop the jungle/forest before you can create a plantation.

Top Bottom