markov eclipse weak/broken?

Beastfeast

Chieftain
Having used the Markov eclipse in multiple games I've found that it has little to no effect on wounded unit's strength, since unit strength doesn't appear to be affected much by loss of HP.

In general some of the old wonders still need buffing as they seem weak/ineffectual.To balance this out china's insta-wonder bonus could be nerfed.

It doesn't affect unit strength directly, but rather removes the 15(?)% combat penalty from being wounded.

It doesn't affect unit strength directly, but rather removes the 15(?)% combat penalty from being wounded.

In Civ5 after G&K, assumed that an unit fight at 100 strength while having 100 (Full) HP, An unit with 1 HP will fight at 51%.

Japan able to fight at full strength even wounded. But consider that they're not saved from any damage that enemy done to them. They are consider one of the least useful UA in the game. Pretty much the worst UA if you don't count India's that sometimes end up penalize player for playing them.

Didn't they learn that this "fight like you're full HP" ability is not useful at all?

Considering it's an optional Wonder and not a UA, this changes the balance paradigm somewhat.

Of course people would argue that most Wonders aren't worth getting in BE so there's no real point discussing this for any length of time :p

Didn't they learn that this "fight like you're full HP" ability is not useful at all?
That's a bit harsh imho. It's certainly not on the level of a "full Trait", but no wonder is that strong. Beyond Earth is a lot more "Spam units and push your way through" than Civ 5 (where you actively tried to not lose your high-level units), so the trait will be active more often.

The real problem that wonder has to me is it's position on the tech web. Transcendental Math is a technology that is only useful for a peaceful victory, but the wonder itself would be most useful for offensive play. And it's certainly not strong enough to justify getting a whole Technology.

It's also a fairly cheap +20 purity tech. I would grab it with Purity PAC if going for domination. Imo the main thing that makes it unattractive for others is the very high production cost for its tech level.

In Civ5 after G&K, assumed that an unit fight at 100 strength while having 100 (Full) HP, An unit with 1 HP will fight at 51%.

not to my experience, that trait could mean the difference in any Era except late unless its Multi-player.

Its allowed me to do things I didn't think possible such as:

Conquering an Austrian Capital with minimal ranged support: I did it with 4 or 5 Samurai and one Comp bow (didn't feel like upgrading) the city had one access point through mountains, terrain was all hills, city had walls, castle, totaled 50ish city strength, lost one Samurai.

Complete Destruction of Shaka with no ranged Support: Samurai Just destroy Impi, its no contest 3 on 1 Impi loses every time even with the AI Cheating. and with the city destruction power of Samurai it was WAY easier than anticipated.

well I'm out, I don't replay Civs very often and while I've had crazy experiences as Japan it would basically just be repeating what I've already said. and for BE I have only built the Markov Eclipse once and I was a whole affinity level ahead.

Yeah the only real problem with the wonder is it's ridiculous production cost. 1100 hammers when other wonders are around 250 - 400 at that stage. It's almost like they forgot to change it when debugging the game or something.

Top Bottom