Massive slowdown mid-late game

Stringer1313

Emperor
I don't know if it's just my computer but this issue has recurred. Is this something that will be worked on, or does this just mean my computer sucks? I don't think it's a graphics issue because I turned it to minimal and it's still a crawl.

We are continuously looking at performance. Whilst we have made some inroads, I think some of the recent builds it has come back a bit. But yes, performance is something we are really keen to address.

We are continuously looking at performance. Whilst we have made some inroads, I think some of the recent builds it has come back a bit. But yes, performance is something we are really keen to address.

Thanks so much. (Also FWIW I changed it to a small map and the same issues happened.)

Whether coincidental or not, I've noticed some improvement in this area. The thing that has been happening since the beginning is that at some point i get that yellow warning message about TooMuchRequests or some kind of overflow issue and it seems that's when things get bad.

I also want to add that this was my only problem with the game. It got to a point where my cursor turned into the spinning thing that usually indicates an incoming crash, sometimes if I even hovered over something. And I'm playing on the lowest possible graphic setting.

It's not necessarily the graphic side that is chugging, and as the game is built on Unity I guess it's harder to optimize (framework constraints).

There are simply lots of stuff (=entities) in the game. Smaller maps do help.

If you start having warning messages, best to undo, save, quit the game and reload. Not too fun but it's relatively quick at least if you are on a SSD and it will clean up the undo history and your game will be running better for some time.

Late game though, specially on large maps, you will have to redo that from time to time. I trust Mohawk to improve this in time, but we're still in EA and with weekly patches the perfs of course go back and forth depending on the version. I have a fairly beefy graphic card I bought last year and 24GB of good ram, but my CPU was bought in 2013 and I have always been able to complete my games, even on huge maps.

It's not necessarily the graphic side that is chugging, and as the game is built on Unity I guess it's harder to optimize (framework constraints).

There are simply lots of stuff (=entities) in the game. Smaller maps do help.

If you start having warning messages, best to undo, save, quit the game and reload. Not too fun but it's relatively quick at least if you are on a SSD and it will clean up the undo history and your game will be running better for some time.

Late game though, specially on large maps, you will have to redo that from time to time. I trust Mohawk to improve this in time, but we're still in EA and with weekly patches the perfs of course go back and forth depending on the version. I have a fairly beefy graphic card I bought last year and 24GB of good ram, but my CPU was bought in 2013 and I have always been able to complete my games, even on huge maps.

Wow, I'm incredibly jealous. I'm playing on Small maps now and the chug starts happening around Turn 80 to 100. Unlike before, I don't necessarily get the yellow overflow warnings as I did before all the time so I don't know the best time to quit. But if I do, I will hit undo like you suggest, quit, restart, but unfortunately it only buys me about 5-6 turns before it starts chugging again. And this is definitely on an SSD. And yes, I also start new games every time there's a new patch. Also whenever i load a new game I get a weird message about "TenCrowns" lol.

I'm shocked at your ability to finish games on huge maps with such an old CPU. I'm open to any other tricks you have. This is by far the best game I have played in a long time and it saddens me to never finish a game. But like you said I hope this gets fixed and is only indicative of the stage we're at.

OK I may have found the issue. I think the problem is that I click "RESUME" whenever I start a game. That's when I usually get the weird Ten Crowns message and massive slowdown and no overflow yellow text and extreme slowdown. But when I load manually, it slows down a bit but not ridiculously so, I do get the overflow text eventually, I restart, and the game moves at an OK speed again. Hoping I can actually finish this game!

I have never experienced these performance issues. I once had a turn hang but that was a month ago I believe. I have a Ryzen 3900x CPU, MSI X570 motherboard, 32GB of RAM @2133MHz, Gigabyte OC series Nvidia RTX 3070, and SSD drives. I don't have the craziest setup out there, but I am quite certain it is above average since I got blessed enough to get a new gen GPU. I had a Vega 64 GPU before I upgraded and had no issues then either.

I don't know, based on others' posts it seems like I'm the only one with this problem. I don't know how to show you my hardware specs (can you tell me where I find that) b/c i'm clueless about that stuff. I can copy paste that here. I don't have any problems running any other games, including Civilization VI. The only other game where I experience this is Jon Shafer's At the Gates , the slowdown is 10x worse to the point that it is actually unplayable (which is a shame b/c it's a fantastic game), but I chalked that up to Confier Games not ahving a ton of staff or money.

For what it's worth, almost everytime i load a game , yellow text comes up talking about "TenCrowns" and saying there might be a "resource leak." I don't know what this TenCrowns business is. Does that provide any clues?

Right click on the Windows icon, then choose SYSTEM. Take a screenshot, but color over your PC name (usually listed as Device Name) or use the eraser tool and erase that part for privacy and hacking reasons.

Awesome thank you! It's:

Processor AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎11/‎3/‎2020
OS build 19042.746
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Hmm CPU not great, but I am not too sure that is the issue or just a part of the issue... Do you know what your Graphics card is? Right click the windows start button and pick Device Manager -> click the drop down on Display Adapter and tell us what it is.

Radeon RX 560 series

And I think that is the problem..... well mostly. If you had a better CPU, maybe that would help out more, possibly faster RAM too.

Let's break it down a bit:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/old-world/19798

Here are the Old World System Requirements (Minimum)
Click here to see Recommended Computer
  • CPU: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz / AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: 1 GB VRAM / Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 / AMD Radeon HD 5570 / Intel Graphics 530
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1 GB
Old World Recommended Requirements
Latest Graphic Cards
  • CPU: Fourth Generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz / AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: 4 GB VRAM / Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 / AMD Radeon HD 7970
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4 GB

So here's the deal, their recommended setups for Nvidia vs an old HD 7970 makes no sense to me. Those two cards are daylight and dark in terms of differences. Your 560 while TONS better than a HD 7970, it's extremely weak compared to an Nvidia GTX 770. Your card and a 770 are not even in the same league honestly. Honestly AMD is kinda just now getting something of a jump on Nvidia recently, and I am an longtime AMD fanboy, so in before someone accuses me of being an Nvidia fanboy with biases. I honestly would be running a 6800xt right now, but there is no stock.... If I were able to buy one, my wallet would slam on the table and I would get one immediately.

Anyway, Old World might want to rethink their minimum and recommended system requirements a bit more. Seems like someone on this forum works for their company and posts sometimes. Maybe that person can pass along this information.

Also, games in current development are always working on optimization. I bet this game runs much better than it did 6 months ago. Maybe they are aware and need more time to make those improvements on performance to get the game to run well on the requirements they posted. At this time I do not think this game is capable of running on even those minimum requirements they posted, that's even before considering your PC build and what you reported. I have an old AMD R9 270x OC Edition laying around here somewhere and I bet that could run this game okayish, and that card is a fair bit stronger than your 560. Another thing to consider is if your 560 has 2GB of VRAM or 4GB of VRAM. Apparently on Userbenchmark I see some benchmark differences that are significant enough to make a difference between the two. Notice that in their recommendation, they want you to have at least 4GB of dedicated VRAM on your GPU. I think that is a good recommendation, because games like these have lots of little assets and items on the screen and the processing between turns is a bunch of actions you cannot see due to fog of war, etc. from the AI. CIV 5 BNW base game seems to run okay on even very old cards. Well that game is finished and optimized. Vox Populi modded CIV 5? Not so much, you kinda couldn't run that on the same low end rig that could get away with regular CIV 5. Skyrim heavily modded vs unmodded ditto.

Anyway, sorry for the book long post. Hope it helps you or someone else. Right now GPUs are out of stock everywhere and the market is chaotic right now. That said, I think there are still mid range slightly older cards floating around that you could pick up right now that would not cause you to change your CPU/Motherboard etc. That said, they should clarify if their recommended settings are being ran on the lowest settings or medium settings. If it is lower settings, your FX6000 series CPU might be a bit too old to run the game too, considering they want you to have a 8000 series @ 4GHZ.

Last edited:
So here's the deal, their recommended setups for Nvidia vs an old HD 7970 makes no sense to me. Those two cards are daylight and dark in terms of differences. Your 560 while TONS better than a HD 7970, it's extremely weak compared to an Nvidia GTX 770. Your card and a 770 are not even in the same league honestly. Honestly AMD is kinda just now getting something of a jump on Nvidia recently, and I am an longtime AMD fanboy, so in before someone accuses me of being an Nvidia fanboy with biases. I honestly would be running a 6800xt right now, but there is no stock.... If I were able to buy one, my wallet would slam on the table and I would get one immediately.
Actually, an RX560 is way ahead of a GTX770. Tom's Hardware lists GPU performance here.

In case you're interested, CPU benchmarks are here.

Those recommended requirements are for fairly dated hardware. :hmm:

For what it's worth, almost everytime i load a game , yellow text comes up talking about "TenCrowns" and saying there might be a "resource leak." I don't know what this TenCrowns business is. Does that provide any clues?

TenCrowns is the internal name of the game. It used to be that the game would last for 10 leaders (10 crowns). It was changed to 200 turns later down the track.

Actually, an RX560 is way ahead of a GTX770. Tom's Hardware lists GPU performance here.

In case you're interested, CPU benchmarks are here.

Those recommended requirements are for fairly dated hardware. :hmm:

Your link just has 770 listed as a legacy GPU (which is true, it's old), but it does not show any benchmark data. Just because something is older than the cutoff they have does not automatically make it weaker than a more recent card.

If you put them in userbenchmark vs each other, the GTX770 is still better in pretty much every single aspect and you can see it broken down.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-770-vs-AMD-RX-560/2174vs3926

I do agree with you that the recommended requirements are a bit odd though. Hopefully they will optimize it soon before release, or revise the recommendations.

Check this out:

On the Epic Games Store Page for Old World the requirements are a little different than what I found on Google.

upload_2021-2-14_11-5-5.png

Thank you everyone this was super helpful. So according to this screen shot, I am better than minimum but not up to recommended level because my AMD processor is 3.50 ghz, and the recommended is 4.0 ghz? (I checked and I do have 4GH VRAM. )

Top Bottom