Why isn't this game more popular?

Also to note, if you play with character turned off, you get no events at all outside of war/peace declarations. But, you won't have characters, families, or any of the other dynastic fun.

Hi folks,

Yes i recall the minimal events option, thanks Dale.

Isnt setting it to minimum kinda tune down the game?
I thought the main feature of OW are the events no?

Shirotora Kenshin,
Well, thanks,
If you had tye same impression as i had and now you enjoy it, maybe i will too.
Perhaps ill give it another try.

Modding wise,
I wonder , maybe i can play around with it also...

--
Edit
No characters, oh my thats like killing the game bare boned :) maybe ill try with min events, then try the no character.
Thanks Dale

Yeah just play around with the options in Advanced Setup. You should be able to tune it to your liking.

Playing a few games without characters really helped me to get into the game, just because it allows you to see how the economy and military works without all the character modifiers on top. Old World is often described as a mix between Civilization and Crusader Kings. That's not wrong, but the setup options allow you to decide the exact mix, ie how much - if any - Crusader Kings you want to have with your Civilization. And with the Barbarian Horde scenario, you can turn the game into Colonization! I'm tempted to say "Old World, at least three games for the price of one", but that would miss the point that all these game modes still feel like variations of the same game. The core mechanics as well as the presentation (mainly the map itself, but also aspects like event artwork and music) create a coherent atmosphere that feels special and pleasant.

Old World is often described as a mix between Civilization and Crusader Kings.
IMO, this always misleads ppl. OW has only a little role playing element.
The benefits/abilities from archetype and traits of your leader are UAs of your nation. OW actually is a pure 4X game, I will answer it has nothing to do with CK to ppl who asks me about the game. Many ppl dive into the game for role playing fun, end up with disappointment due to they picked the wrong game.
------------

What harms a game is not lack of players but misunderstanding, then these ppl who has a wrong impression will mislead passerby directly or by osmosis.
The advertising could be more precise. Do we have a trait included in thoughtful? LOL

OK, back to the topic. Sometimes just cuz ppl don't have much more energy to dive deeply into another game. For instance, it's obvious that I like D2 but it's hard for me to dive into another D-like game. I even made some preparation for PoE, Titan Quest, but nope, I dont want to do it all over again. Let alone 4X takes a lot of time too.

Cheers

Top Bottom