1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Mana Xtended

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by esvath, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Vital Brasil

Vital Brasil Chieftain

That's awesome ! Thanks for all your work and for sharing this with us ! Its always good to see people keeping this masterpiece alive, even when there's no hope left lol. This mod is the only reason i still have Civilization IV installed in my computer.

I absolutely love the graphical changes you made, all of them ! Some of your tweaks are things i wanted to see since forever, like the new kelps and enclave graphics.
    Your gameplay tweaks also seems to be interesting, i specially liked the idea of upgradeable improvements for certain civics (like mines becoming deep mines for Khazad) and Kuriotates cities being allowed to build all their districts in the same city. I am still not sure about the new empyrean civic though, as it looks kinda boring, but still need to play a game using this religion to know how it feels.

Unfortunately i think your combat complains will never be looked at, since it would require a huge amount of work to fix it (or at least, try to fix it). One thing that annoys me greatly regarding combat is how i can dominate the world using only a single super high level unit. I wish there were a few things to counter it, like a retirement mechanics for older living units, an aging system for heroes and a decaying system for undeads. This would be fun and have potential do add some more flavour to the game, like the aging mechanic benefiting calabim vampires (which are pretty weak at the moment, imo), and immortal units (like demons and angels) being far more powerful than the mortals, as they do not age. But those are only dreams :crazyeye:.

Now, if you do not mind, a small request, since you decided to join the crusade to make MoMExtended more beautiful and immersive: :p

Would you consider changing the Circle of Urd (not sure if thats the right spelling) graphics as well? They are the cause i just can't play with the Doviellos. I think its just ridiculous using a corpse as a weapon in combat, i mean, a decaying body would fall apart right after the first strike, so yeah, it makes no sense, even in a fantasy setting, and its cringe as hell.

Again, thank you very much for this most needed graphical upgrade !

2. The Monarch

The Monarch Chieftain

Thank you, Vital Brasil, glad to see people, like me, still love this awesome modmod. I confess I worked on three fronts, doing the unique improvements and languages for the original FFH2 and MoM 2.11. So if someone is interested in those, I can upload them as well. I know combat balance would take forever unfortunately. MoM is a never ending story :)).

As far as I know, the reference to using a dead (or sometimes even just wounded) opponent's body was talked about in the description of the Circle of Urd in the Pedia. I guess it is supposed to be gruesome. But I agree, five (or three) units holding identical corpses is too organized for the mayhem and havoc they were supposed to stand for :)). Tell you what, I will try to find an afternoon these days and maybe change 2 out of 3 units to wield a bloody hammer, mace or axe of some sort. But I'd still keep one wielding a corpse for lore purposes (you will be able to alter it from the artstyle files).

Cheers!

3. Vital Brasil

Vital Brasil Chieftain

I took a look at the Pedia's article about Circle of Urd and it kind convinced me, but i still think it looks weird. Maybe having a corpse in the main hand while wielding a bloody and crude weapon in the off hand ?

About your other modmodmods (am i missing another "mod" ?), i am surely interested, specially the one about unique improvements :)

4. The Monarch

The Monarch Chieftain

So I tried playing a little with the Circle of Urd and decided to give them a more chaotic (and grim) look. It will now consist of a 4 unit group (in a circle), 1 leader with the older corpse graphic but with a bloodier suit, two guys with cleavers and freshly chopped off heads to throw and a mean looking baldie with a mace. Hope you enjoy it and it doesn't give you nightmares :)). If you still can't stomach the guy using a corpse as a weapon, you can enter the XRDOVIELLO_Civ4UnitInfos.xml and search for ART_DEF_UNIT_BERSERKER_DOVIELLO and add either 1 or 2 after Berserker (1 is using the cleaver and 2, the mace). Based on this you can opt for just one out of the three skins or whatever suits you best. I like it as it is myself.

Spoiler New Circle of Urd graphics :
    Circle of Urd.JPG

The three patches are for different versions of the mod. First one is for the original FFH2 (and adds the unique improvements, flavor improvements and cities as well som e sounds), second one is for MoM 2.11 (I named it MoM patch 2.38) and the third one is the final version of Xtended Graphic patch (with Circle of Urd, Hunter, Hippus Assassin and Malakim Teutorix remade). Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. The Monarch

The Monarch Chieftain

The sounds needed are just copied from MoM and Xtended to FFH2 Asstes/sounds/units.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  6. Vital Brasil

Vital Brasil Chieftain

Thank you again for this ! The new Circle of Urd is much better aesthetically and even more lore friendly than before. I also liked the new graphics for the Malakim hero (which i forgot his name.. lol). The spearman graphic for the Hippus are a bit weird, but at least, they have a spear now, so, for sure, thats an improvement.

I really appreciate what you did here !

Cheers !

7. The Monarch

The Monarch Chieftain

Glad you like it! Hope to see some action soon from Esvath and the team ;)

8. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

Can anybody tell me about the Victory rules. World Redemption, Might of Wilds etc?

9. Ombatur

Ombatur Chieftain

If I'm not confusing something, these are the names for the individual religious victories.

That's really cool. Your additions made me play MoM again. Thank you for that. :)
    Some minor things I noticed while playing as Malakim. The civilopedia says Caravansaries can only be built on flatlands and I thought plains would be considered as flatlands. Maybe flatlands should be renamed to desert because it was confusing to me as a non-native english spekaer. I was also wondering whether caravansaries give +1 spec with the Malakim bazar, as the tooltip says only trade centers give +1 spec.

Feel free to ignore the following things because they are only minor issues, but if you have too much time and want to change some sounds/graphics, there are a couple of things that were always were weird about some Malakim units:
    When selecting the Camel archers, it makes weird demon noises. Also, the carpet riders make elephant noises and leave footprints on the grounds. This is probably due to the fact that this unit is a reskinned elephant rider, so I don't know if this can be changed easily.

I, personally, think that the techs that give +2 to units should, maybe, only give +1 to all units. This would make lategame units more useful, changes in army power less steep and those military techs less important. But it's probably very difficult to implement this without screwing over the balance in some other area because everything is so interconnected. As a compensation one would probably need to make spells a bit less powerful as well as halfing the bonus of mana affinities. In my opinion, many affinity boni should be capped anyway to some maximum effect, as it used to be the case.

10. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

Ok, so how do i actually get a religion? I researched the Culture tech that said "get to pick a religion" but no dice. I got a great prophet, still nope. What am i missing

11. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

o.o
    normally picking the culture tech should have opened a "choice-box"...
    but I can't warranty.
    It's been a long time I played with religions in MoM.

12. Ombatur

Ombatur Chieftain

Yeah, you have to research ancient chants. It is explained in more detail in the civilopedia under MasterOfMana Concepts/Religion. Also, make sure you're not playing as an agnostic civilization, but you're probably aware of that.

13. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

14. CarnivalBizarre

CarnivalBizarre Warlord

15. Vital Brasil

Vital Brasil Chieftain

Awesome ! Its good to know there are still skilled hands working on this project :)

I started a playtrough today with this version, and, as always, i picked up the marathon speed. It turns out this speed is now unplayable, since the game speed influences resources needed for buildings. For example, when you start a game, you have 200 of each resource, but early game buildings, like elder council and palisade cost 600 lumber. Palace gives a nice starting yield, but its not enough. So, it really takes time until you can build your first building, and early game becomes real boring and frustrating.

But i wholeheartedly welcome this new change, so i would like no suggest a few balance tweaks (which i don't know if they are doable as i have no idea about coding and stuff). The first one is to change the starting yields accordingly to the game speed, so, if playing on marathon speed, you would start with 600 of each resource instead of 200. The second one is to change each civilization's palace yield of resources accordingly to the game speed. Maybe reducing a bit the increase threshold from a faster game speed to a slower game speed may also help.

Anyway, thanks for posting this version and for letting us know this mod is alive !

16. CarnivalBizarre

CarnivalBizarre Warlord

I added a gamespeed modifier for the starting yield.

But giving more from palace is a no no, game speed does not influence income of things, just the cost. And since production has more turns it was easymode to play on slower speeds until now.
    I have not added this on unit and equipment yet, but I will, since you have more time to earn those resources.

But the mod is not alive or dead, Master of Mana was Sephi, Xtended was esvath, I just help a little.

For me the mod needs more balancing and getting the units more interesting (diverse) again, the heroes feel much the same now.

Also, it is too easy, even playing Deity is mostly a walk in the park. But that is just my personal opinion

17. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Warlord

"I added a gamespeed modifier for the starting yield."

Is it not possible to simply reduce the ressources cost of any item and any building, when you play in Quick Speed ? Exactly the same scale reduction than the others things in Quick speed.

I mean, everything has reduced cost : science, building cost and unit cost. Ressources should scale too.

This problem of non scaling in quick speed is big problem for players like me who play in Quick Speed in multiplayer.

18. CarnivalBizarre

CarnivalBizarre Warlord

Yes, resource cost of building building are scaled on gamespeed now. If you use r66 or later. https://sourceforge.net/projects/ma...es/Master of Mana Xtended SVN r66.7z/download
    Units and equipment have not had their cost adjusted to scale yet.

Jojo_Fr likes this.
  19. CarnivalBizarre

CarnivalBizarre Warlord

r67 is commited to the trunk now, scales units and promition cost of yield by trainPercent of gamespeed

Jojo_Fr likes this.
  20. cde2006

cde2006 Chieftain

Thanks for the update for all these years.
    I am playing this in 4K is there a way to get bigger fonts in the HUD?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019