1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Master of Orion 2 unofficial patch

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Rocco.40, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Bladrov

Bladrov Chieftain

Could be. I think I installed it using a CD I burned with the game, the patch, and some other things. The original is in the box in the cabinets above my desk.

2. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

What determines which special systems are installed on our star bases?

For example, I haven't researched any shield technologies, yet I have a slot wasted on Shield Capacitors???

I Have researched Auto Repair Unit, but it is not installed, which I definitely believe would be better help my Star Base's survivability.
    I'd like to urge those two to be swapped on whatever list they are on for the next update.
    Not everyone can use Shield Capacitors, but everyone Can use Auto Repair units.

3. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

@plasmacannon You can mod starbases as you please by altering the starbase_special fields, as in the following picture:

autorepair.jpg

I wish we could just create designs for starbases like any other ship, it would be much easier.

plasmacannon likes this.
  4. Bladrov

Bladrov Chieftain

Hey, I see a new version's out, 1.50.18. Very nice!...not a big release from the looks of it, but it never hurts to weed out a few more issues.

plasmacannon likes this.
  5. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I tried the Mirror universe option with 6 players. It turned out very good.
    I'm trying out the same but I added the randomized tech option now.
    It's a complete challenge because I have no idea form the start which tech path I will be taking.
    The only question I have at the moment is, Do all of us have the same randomized tech tree or do the AIs and I have completely different randomized tech trees?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

@plasmacannon Unfortunately the game has only one tree, so all players share it. It would have been more fun with independent trees indeed.

plasmacannon likes this.
  7. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

Since 1.50.18 Fixed Square (8 players) no longer works. I get some Lua errors (in Mirror Map too, although this one works):

err1.jpg err2.jpg err3.jpg

8. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

Yeah, that's why Fixed Square was removed from the 1.50.18 pack. Not sure why Mirror map throws errors at you. Haven't seen it before. Perhaps you have a mixed 1.50.17 & 1.50.18 installation (since you still have Fixed Square map)?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  9. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

No, I kept Fixed Square map because I liked it, everything else is 1.50.18.

10. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

noticed your dosbox.conf has memsize=16.
    we have it at 31.
    perhaps increasing this value can solve the mirror map error.

11. Ponkyo

Ponkyo Chieftain

So 1st turn colony was conquered and 1 pop was being annihilated, 2nd turn base was empty, 3rd turn base was lost even if a new pop just arrived.

bug.jpg

"If 0 (classic), a zero colony that has colonist(s) inbound, will stay intact."
    zero_colony_lost = 0 is not working.

12. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 King

nice catch. used to work in 1.50.17, but was broken in 1.50.18.

13. MissterX

MissterX Chieftain

Hey guys (and Rocco!)

I've got a little problem I've been trying to solve for a couple of weeks now but to no avail. Basically, I wanted to make the techs cost a bit more (like 10 times more...XD), so I thought that a simple addition of a "0" at the end of every techs in the Ice-X cfg would do the trick with no problem whatsoever. But now I let you imagine my face when, TWICE (in TWO games on the row!), after having proudly and successfully managed to last for a very long time in that galaxy, I get the surprise to see the tech tree displaying blank panels and/or reading "Pure research". And above that, I got some techs (namely Death rays/Particle beams/Spatial compressor and maybe others) to cost 0 B.C. 0 space on the design menu of a ship.

I thought of reporting it as a bug of course, but after some testing it appeared, for some reason that is beyond me, that my tweaking the cfg file IS indeed the problem. I wouldn't have thought it would mess everything like that, up to the Antarran technologies themselves.

Any idea anyone? Here are more info: I play latest patch from Rocco, Random tech on (but even with this one off I still get the ships technologies off in the design panel; not sure about the tech tree remaining bugged without it, though, as I haven't tried playing long enough without it to reproduce the "bug"), uncreative race...and that's all I can remember as potentially useful. Oh, and sorry, I don't have saves to share :/ But you can reproduce the thing by modifying yourself the techs costs, launching a game, saving, modifying your save by adding death ray/particle beams/Spatial compressor to your known techs, and you'll see they display ABOVE the No special/No weapon selection (I think it is related to the whole thing) and that their cost is wrong (plus, when selected, they don't appear in the selection pannel).

That's it :) I hope I'm not bothering anyone here posting that problem of mine; I tried Reddit, but got the feeling no one will be able to help.

ALSO, BIG BIG thank you to Rocco if he ever reads that; Moo2 is no doubt the game I woud take on a desert island (and I hope they got it in paradise...XD) so to see it alive and well, VERY well thanks to your effort and dedication (and maybe the others who help you), well, that's awfully nice. So thx again ;)

14. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Help needed please. I am playing again and AI Surrender almost ruined my game. Windows 10 here. How exactly do I set surrender delay to 999 which basically removes this from the game. I cannot find the .cfg file needed. Thx .. neilkaz ..

15. MissterX

MissterX Chieftain

C:\Games\MasterOfOrion2\mastori2\150\mods

That's my installation path for example; yours might be different. Once into the folder, you should look further into what specific mod you use playing, like if you use Ice, then CFGs are in the Ice directory. Hope it helps ;)

Oh, and, yeah, you got multiple CFGs there, so simply open at random and lauch a search for that specific line you're looking for -- I personnally don't have problems with Ice and AI surrender, so I couldn't possibly tell you which line to modify. Hope this helps at least until maybe someone more in the know comes and lets you know about which specific CFG to alter.

16. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Thx for the help, I am all set now. Yeah, I play only ICE-X prewarp, huge, impossible, 8 players.

17. MissterX

MissterX Chieftain

Hehe, yeah, exactly like me XD Even though nowadays I prefer reducing the map size to normal so to avoid the headache of the huge ones; I'm quite obsessed with micromanaging EVERY single thing :D

18. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Once in a while I will play Cluster maps. Since returning to the game after two years I have 5 wins and 1 loss with my DemoLith race. I micro a lot as well and especially early on or when it is unclear how I am doing. LOL at my horrid loss. I stared very deep in the lower left corner and lasted only 86 turns as Silicoid came right after me.

The patch progress just make this great game better and better.

It is nice to see that in the cue of things to build, gravity generator is in white lettering if needed on the planet.

With that in mind it would be nice when a planet has all tolerant beings to have pollution control building in black or gray lettering.

Thx for the great work!