FV 432 APC

MatteM's unit modeling and retexturing workshop 2018-11-05

MatteM

Prince
Hello!

I am working on a kind of a huge mod since 2015, with lot's of units, but it will take a lot of time to realease a "beta-version", so I thought I could release some stuff meanwhile.

Now I only know how to fool around in NifScope somewhat and don't have a good and easy 3d software
so not much modeling, but more reskinning things that are out there.

First up is a Japanese Cold War- Infantry. The camo is the Type-1 camo that was the first camo pattern for JSDF. The assault rifle model is the H&K G3 but it looks similar enough to the Howa Type 64 I think.

The model I have used I have not done myself, it is the "Soviet Infantry" from Stolenrays Iraq Iran War mod, credit goes to the original creator, I don't who it is but if someone knows please tell me and I'll update the info.

Forgot to mention: Use the infantry.kfm animation, not the marine one.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/japanese-cold-war-infantry.27124/

Preview.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging words Sword_Of_Geddon!

Next up is the Swedish Cold War Infantry, the same model as the Japanese one.

Armed with the AK-4 modification of the H&K G3 and Swedish uniform Fältuniform m/59, and as usual with helmets it is an
old m/1937. This is the kit my dad had as a conscript during military service in the late 1960s. So late 1960s is the era :)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/swedish-cold-war-infantry.27125/

Preview.jpg

No problem you deserve them man.

This unit looks really nice as well. I have heard the joke that Swedish and other Scandanavian peoples are peaceful and usually neutral when it comes to war, except for every few hundred years when you become Vikings...

Only kidding, this is a great unit :)

Those are great! They'll find their place in RI. One question though - what are your sources on Soviet infantry? Those red sleeve patches seem awful from camo standpoint, and I could not find any pictures showing soldiers actually wearing those (might be from a military exercise?). As can be seen from this page for 70's Soviet uniforms, even red epaulets would only be worn by troops far from active deployment: http://www.vedomstva-uniforma.ru/forma1973/1973.html

The actual Soviet infantryman in the 70's would look like this:
Spoiler infantry uniforms :

As you can see, epaulets are green. Also note that Soviet army would use shiny high boots for almost all purposes up until the fall of USSR.

Perhaps its meant to be something like a military police, to scare the populace.

An interesting thought, but the closest regular Soviet troops of the period came to scaring the populace was probably the Czechoslovakian Crisis. Here are some pictures of Soviet troops in Prague; no armbands can be seen.

Spoiler Soviet troops in Prague :

And Soviet military police looked totally differently, wearing white helmets with prominent red stars, like this one:

Spoiler military police helmet :

Though these guys were actually intra-military police, and were not used against civilians.

P.S. All that said, I'm very much a fan of what MatteM is doing, and if I'm criticizing stuff, it's only due to a fact I'm hoping for him to do more accurate versions; always glad to help with researching stuff, especially in cases with Russian-language sources, as I helped Bakuel in the past with his Russian packs.

Last edited:
Those are great! They'll find their place in RI. One question though - what are your sources on Soviet infantry? Those red sleeve patches seem awful from camo standpoint, and I could not find any pictures showing soldiers actually wearing those (might be from a military exercise?). As can be seen from this page for 70's Soviet uniforms, even red epaulets would only be worn by troops far from active deployment: http://www.vedomstva-uniforma.ru/forma1973/1973.html

The actual Soviet infantryman in the 70's would look like this:
Spoiler infantry uniforms :

As you can see, epaulets are green. Also note that Soviet army would use shiny high boots for almost all purposes up until the fall of USSR.

Hi Walter, thanks! Yes I was thinking about RI, since you have a CW-infantry unit class :)

Yeah the Soviet infantry is based on a photo I found:

ladda ned.jpg

But maybe the red sleeves as you pointed out are used in an exercise, however in Wikipedia they are listed signifying Private soldiers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Soviet_Union

I admit I am no expert on the Soviet army during the cold war, mostly I wanted something distinguishing them in game, because I use
quite small nifs in game and groups of 8 soldiers per square (size 0.308) to better reflect size relations with Mechanized Infantry:

in game.jpg

Yeah the Soviet infantry is based on a photo I found:

That photo is rather strange, and almost definitely taken at an army exercise. Infantry running through a field with BTR's in the background - there is simply no relevant conflict in this period for that photo to be taken. Several comments on it:

1) Color tone is rather unrealistic, giving the normally khaki uniform a deep brown color. Compare to the photos I posted.
2) Both the private and senior lieutenant in this photo are using the dress, not the field versions of their epaulets. The field versions can be seen in the photos I posted, and for a private would be plain khaki without any insignia (as seen on the two soldiers on the right in the first photo).

But maybe the red sleeves as you pointed out are used in an exercise, however in Wikipedia they are listed signifying Private soldiers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Soviet_Union

Those are not sleeve marks, those are shoulder epaulets. Even the guy in your photo has them correctly on his shoulders.

Oh and the boots could be shinier, that shouldn't be a problem fixing, I could take look
later on to see if it could be made more realistic, interesting in the pic you found that
they still used some variant of the PPSh mg!

Hm? I don't see a PPSh in any of the photos I posted, I think everyone there uses an AK. PPSh has been retired from all service arms by mid-60s.

And as far as the boots are concerned, I basically feel that retexturing the first model you used for Japan/Sweden instead would look more similar to the Soviet uniform, as it has much higher boots (but that's definitely just a matter of taste), or alternatively one of these guys with a different head: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/red-army-1917-1922.21193/

That photo is rather strange, and almost definitely taken at an army exercise. Infantry running through a field with BTR's in the background - there is simply no relevant conflict in this period for that photo to be taken. Several comments on it:

1) Color tone is rather unrealistic, giving the normally khaki uniform a deep brown color. Compare to the photos I posted.
2) Both the private and senior lieutenant in this photo are using the dress, not the field versions of their epaulets. The field versions can be seen in the photos I posted, and for a private would be plain khaki without any insignia (as seen on the two soldiers on the right in the first photo).

Those are not sleeve marks, those are shoulder epaulets. Even the guy in your photo has them correctly on his shoulders.

Hm? I don't see a PPSh in any of the photos I posted, I think everyone there uses an AK. PPSh has been retired from all service arms by mid-60s.

And as far as the boots are concerned, I basically feel that retexturing the first model you used for Japan/Sweden instead would look more similar to the Soviet uniform, as it has much higher boots (but that's definitely just a matter of taste), or alternatively one of these guys with a different head: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/red-army-1917-1922.21193/

Ok, now I see that I have placed things a bit wrong, the insignia should be on the shoulder epaulets (if it is to remain), not sure why I put it on the collar but probably it looked cool.
But on the picture from Czechoslovakia there seems to be red shoulder epaulets on the guys to the left or am I colour-blind?
Might loose the sleeves as it looks "exercicy".
The photo might be from some propaganda staging, or possibly a movie of some sort?

I thought this was a pphs, perhaps a heavy mg though?

Namnlös.jpg

Well I could of course do something looking more like the first pic, but someone with the ability to switch the H&K G3 for an AK would have to help :mischief:

Last edited:
That's not a PPSh. It's a RPD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPD_machine_gun

As for switching the weapons its trivial:
- Open unit with the weapon you want to copy over in nifscope.
- Open the target unit in nifscope.
- Click the weapon you want to copy. Right click it on the list on the left and go "block->copy branch"
- Click on the weapon you want to replace, "block -> paste branch"
- save

But like, I'll do it for you if you ask. Also if you guys need a bunch of infantry weapons or something I am open for requests.

Last edited:
Ok, now I see that I have placed things a bit wrong, the insignia should be on the shoulder epaulets (if it is to remain), not sure why I put it on the collar but probably it looked cool.
But on the picture from Czechoslovakia there seems to be red shoulder epaulets on the guys to the left or am I colour-blind?

He's not private; as far as I can see those are from sergeant's field uniform, green with red stripe(s):

The photo might be from some propaganda staging, or possibly a movie of some sort?

Yeah, that would be my best guess as well. Most likely staged for a poster or something like that.

That's not a PPSh. It's a RPD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPD_machine_gun

As for switching the weapons its trivial:
- Open unit with the weapon you want to copy over in nifscope.
- Open the target unit in nifscope.
- Click the weapon you want to copy. Right click it on the list on the left and go "block->copy branch"
- Click on the weapon you want to replace, "block -> paste branch"
- save

But like, I'll do it for you if you ask. Also if you guys need a bunch of infantry weapons or something I am open for requests.

I'll give it a try! But won't there be two weapons simultanuously in the target nif?

Well since you ask, would be nice with a FN FAL:

1200px-FN_FAL_rifle.JPG

And le French cold war specalty MAT-49:

MAT_Submachine_Gun.jpg

He's not private; as far as I can see those are from sergeant's field uniform, green with red stripe(s):

Yeah, that would be my best guess as well. Most likely staged for a poster or something like that.

Thanks, I'll use them instead!

Mongolia?

Mongolia.jpg

Also modded KrugerPritz old Eurotrakker to a Swedish terrängbil 40:

Lastterrängbil 40.jpg

110828-Tgb40+Haub77.jpg

medium_022yjyv7w5jn.jpg

Also, I am assuming you guys are using the marine as a base unit since it has full auto fire.

Top Bottom