1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Meenakshi Temple video

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

actually it feels a bit neglected this expansion. Probably why they put this world wonder in the game. It's probably the only change to religious victory in this expansion. And as far as we know, we have no strict religious civs, though Mali is close. I don't think Eleanor will be, Phoenicia certainly not.

Kmart_Elvis and bbbt like this.
  2. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

well... it looks nice, though. Maybe I'll built it if I've got the time. :crazyeye:

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Gurus are only needed if you're going for religious victory. Then they're very valuable.

A squad of Apostles backed by a stream of Gurus is the quickest way to convert a civ (or the world) to your religion.

Religious victory needs a wolfpack of 3 to 4 Apostles and a stream of Gurus. Faster with two wolfpacks (6 to 8 Apostles). Somewhat less micromanagement compared to domination, but there's definitely a similarity to the two victories.

Agreed. This is one of those rare Civ 6 Wonders to my mind: one that's actually worth the production cost if you're going for a particular victory type. Not needed for that victory, but it has a positive return on investment measured in terms of game impact, which very few Wonders do.

4. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Definitely
    Domination is the least fun for me.

Have you ever visited them? I think Mont St Michel is much more impressive than Norte Dame. And there’s more impressive catherdrals in Europe than Notre Dame tbh.

I like this wonder. Definitely only useful for religious victory but that’s cool.

So this is the last one.
    Best wonder is still forbidden city for me.
    Worst dunno yet. With R&F it was definitely the Statue of Liberty

Siptah likes this.
  5. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

This would be an interesting wonder if religious combat were a well designed and balanced game mechanic. Unfortunately, that isn't at all the case. Religious combat, as the game currently stands, should virtually never happen because a civ that fights and loses is so much worse off than one that doesn't try to fight. Imagine what regular combat would be like if losing a battle in the field caused you to lose nearby cities, but enemy units attacking those cities directly were automatically destroyed (while a far cheaper garrison unit healed the damage they inflicted). That's exactly the state religious combat is in, and adding a wonder that buffs a few of the units involved doesn't do anything to change it.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  6. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I'm not a big fan of RV, don't think I'll be building this often. Maybe as Russia if I've a good religion and want to defend it?

7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Sadly I've never been to Europe, though I've done a fair amount of traveling in East and Southeast Asia. But I have studied Gothic architecture rather extensively, even wrote a paper on its underlying theology/philosophy in college. (Makes me rather sad that many of my fellow Protestants view them as monuments to hubris rather than symbols of worship, even if perhaps a few of them were built to the glory of their architect rather than God.)

I agree, but I'd be content with Nôtre Dame de Paris because it's iconic and probably the most famous exemplar of the genre.

8. King William I

King William I Prince

I mean, it's definitely beautiful. But you do realize how biased you sound. Especially since Notre Dame would have just as situational bonus as any other religious architecture wonder.

On a more humorous note, can we all appreciate how @Eagle Pursuit was shocked to predict sonething?

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I mean, I looked up stuff on the temple and nothing seemed like an obvious reason to have a bonus, so then I considered "What is an Indian religious stereotype?" and thought of gurus. And apparently that's what Firaxis was thinking.

Kjimmet and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Should I care? :huh: Yes, I'm biased, as are we all. I think Gothic architecture is one of most significant artistic movements of the last thousand years, not least of all because it was not only an architecture but a visual manifesto and a theology.

Not going to lie, I build Hagia Sophia almost every game simply because it's beautiful. :p And apparently because I enjoy torturing myself with the abominable quote they attached to it. :rolleyes:

Siptah likes this.
  11. gozon

gozon Chieftain

It’s gurus, plural. I hope it’s 4 upon building like Kotoku-in or something like 1 guru per era

12. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

It's most appropriate bonus might actually be a tourism bonus, as it's apparently the most visited monument in the world.

I think that's one of the things that impressed me the most about it - that I still found it awe inspiring despite being paraded through with a throng of people (usually a big strike in my book). The sheer size of it was pretty impressive.

Though tbh 'most visited' does sound like a somewhat dubious 'stat'. Does that only include people who go inside - i.e. I didn't go in the Eiffel tower but theoretically visited it? What about religious pilgrims to Mecca that likely outnumber it?

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I don't know, but if Notre Dame was added, I would expect a bonus related to era points, in a different way from the Taj Mahal, though. I wouldn't expect that it would be a religious wonder.

Speaking about the Meenakshi Temple, it's great that we have more Eastern representation in the game, I like this and I like the Kotoku-in and the Mahabodhi Temple. But Firaxis has to make them at least worthy of building them, otherwise players will neglect them in the majority of matches and their inclusion will be kind of unnoticed.

Meluhhan and Zaarin like this.
  14. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

A nice way to make an additional challenge for RV, besides founding a religion. With an Apostle wolfpack, its quite trivial, although tedious, to win an RV if you manage to found a religion. The AI that builds the Meenakhsi will provide a nice boss fight, because the AI isnt too hesitant in spamming Gurus.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'd like to see what the full final benefits are. The videos mostly provide a rough sketch of them (which is fine by me). Probably some faith and gold or something like that.

16. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

You are right, also it seems like a row of buildings always connects now to the district. Hopefully it will help in rducing the patchy effect of districts and wonders on cities. As for the wonder, It look awesome, Its very specialized but should make guru's more helpful.

Siptah and Eagle Pursuit like this.