• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Meet The Colonies

davbenbak

Lackey
As soon as BTS is released and I can get a handle on Modding it, I will be working on "Meet the Colonies" mod. My thoughts were a kind of "What If?" mod of early North American colonies as they all seem to have been founded for different reasons and therefor had what you could call different personalities. I am interested in any feedback or suggestions.

Boston: Leader, Cotton Mathers/ SPI,PRO
New Amsterdam: Leader, Peter Styvesant/ FIN,?
Philadelphia: Leader, Willian Penn/ CRE,PHI
Williamsburg: Leader, ? /IND,ORG
Montreal: Leader, ? EXP/?
Savanah: Leader, ? ?/?
St. Augustine: Leader, ? IMP/?
Iroquios
Cherokee
Seminole
Hurons

What timeframe? Montreal/Quebec would be Champlain of course if it was in the late 1600's, if it is more the Revolution era it would be the Governor General of the time..

Seeing as how this is going to be a "What if" kind of thing, I'll probably have to stretch the time frame somewhat. I think New Amsterdam fell in the 1660's so early to mid 1600's I suppose. As to leaders, I'm more interested in the Civ traits matching the colony than the leader or vis-versa than for the leader to precisely reflect the historical accuracy. Example: I'm not sure what kind of business man Peter Stuyvesant was but the Dutch colony is definately going to have the finacial trait.

Well, as far as I know the New Netherlands colony was mainly focused on trading in furs and the likes, not exactly real full-scale settlement.. Perhaps a trait to consider is the one that sponsors libraries and universities, since Stuyvesant did encourage education.. (Or at least that's what the wikipedia article is telling me..)

Another, perhaps more interesting character to consider as a Dutch split off would be Jan Pietersz. Coen, who razed Djakarta to the ground and established Batavia on its ruins. That city would remain the capital of the Dutch East-Indies up to 1942, when the city was renamed Jakarta and eventually the colony became Indonesia.. Coen was a brutal character who massacred the entire population of an island just because they refused to let the Dutch have the monopoly on the spices that only grew on their island. (Now THAT's capitalism! :eek:)

In any case, this is an interesting proposal! Hopefully it'll be possible to alter existing leaderheads for this mod, instead of using portraits of the people involved..

@ Lionheart, Thanks for the suggestion but the map will only be of the Eastern U.S. BTS is supposed to ship with some kind of "Colonization/New World" mod. I'll most likely be using it as a starting point and it will include some leaderheads as The Netherlands is going to be included as a playable civ in the expansion.

Aha.. I didn't know that.. I assumed you meant this as some kind of grand modification for the main game.. Well, I'm sure there's some way to make that idea work as well.. Good luck!

Top Bottom