1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Modders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Feb 10, 2010.

1. chickenx4

chickenx4 Chieftain

I’m going to my cousin’s house for thanksgiving my aunt is getting better over time

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Hope you had a good time. If your school is like most you have today off as well. Hopefully they didn't give so much homework you wo0n't have time to play. :)

3. Blue Monkey

We got to have a facetime conversation with my niece. It was good to actually see that she's ok. She lost her farm - both an organic egg business & her home - in the Camp Fire. Including all the animals. Things happened so quickly they only managed to rescue their personal pets.

I'm not soliciting. But you can see before & after pictures of the farm at the gofundme a friend set up for them. The before picture may not look like much. They were homesteading old family property so most of the structures were hand built. The few trees still standing in the after picture are native evergreen oak that evolved for fire to be part of its life cycle.

Those of us who are a bit older know surviving is an inevitable part of life. So that she & her man are healthy, safe & have a temporary place to stay (motor home plus staying with his dad) means they're doing well.

4. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

I've been working on a project to generate random worlds, which might possibly interest some people here. Have a look here if you're curious.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Plotinus... Very interesting and complex project you have going there.
    It shows you have already spent a great deal of time on it.

6. Plotinus

Well, it’s either that or work, you know.

Kyriakos and WildWeazel like this.
  7. Vuldacon

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not exactly a pic of me, but of the cover of the first volume of my translation of the complete works of HP Lovecraft:

It will hit bookstores this march; by a major local publisher.
    I think it looks great!

WildWeazel likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

When will we all work together on a game project? ^_^

10. Vuldacon

Kyriakos... Book Cover does look Great. I wish you success with sales.

The logistics trying to have everyone get together and have inspiration for the same project is difficult enough... time to do it while working and having a life is another factor.
    People are doing what they can with their time and not under obligations that would incur working as a team.

Kyriakos likes this.
  11. Blue Monkey

After 10 years I finally got a new Mac (gift from my brother). I'm ecstatic. Downside is the newest OSX doesn't support playing Civ3. I'm investigating the work-arounds, but so far every solution seems a bit too expensive. so I can still putter away at maps & terrain, bot have no way to see how they look ingame

12. Blue Monkey

Fascinating! I'd love to follow it. I didn't see a way to get emailed when new posts are written.

13. Vuldacon

Blue Monkey... Sorry to hear about your MAC and OS not allowing you to play Civ.
    Hope you will find an inexpensive work-around.

14. Blue Monkey

The known solutions -

KVM to an older Mac or PC. the spaghetti / desk space would be a nightmare now that I have an eGPU. An hdmi kvm (or another interface + adapters) is $$$. Can free-up desk space with an arm mount, $$$ but was considering getting one anyway.

Virtual machine for either older osx or windows. $$$ and uncertain results.

But I'm keeping an eye on forums, etc. where such things are discussed. Someone will find a solution.

15. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

You cant use an emulator?

16. Plotinus

I thought you could run it through Wine, can't you? Failing that, it's always possible simply to buy Windows and install it on your Mac via Bootcamp, though that would be rather an expensive approach if the only thing you want it for is Civ III.

A good point. I've added that to the sidebar.

17. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

In my experience Civ3 on Linux with Steam Play (Proton) works pretty well aside from audio. It's currently on sale for $1.24.

Great blog Plotinus! I've subscribed and will be following with interest.

18. Blue Monkey

Thanks all for the various suggestions. I'm aware of these but good for the lurkers to see. :)
    I've always been leery of wine - not sure why.

Bootcamp requires rebooting, not like some other options where you can have both running. Probably what I will do is use parallels or fusion & install an old osx ($20) so I can use all my old stuff - got some other utilities that worked fine under 10.9. With parallels or fusion I can install a third vm if I decide I want windows as well.

19. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Hey guys, just posting here to let you all know that I'm still alive, and will (hopefully) be posting some unreleased units I made a while back but never uploaded.

Also there have been a few changes:
    15 Sep 2017 Selfie by Ben/Laura Bonebrake, on Flickr

Among other things, I've gotten divorced from my evil, narcissistic, sociopathic ex-wife (divorce was finalized last April), and have been starting to live authentically as myself. In addition, without the evil ex constantly tearing me down all the time, I've had energy to start doing more things: I've gotten back into making my music (and I created a SoundCloud account, and feel free to download the music from there & use it in your mods, as long as you give me credit for it), and re-vamped my YouTube channel, among other things.

Also, since I no longer identify entirely as male, and it's quite obvious that I'm NOT, in fact, Japanese, I'd like to have my user name changed to DJ Bonebraker (which is what I use for my other artistic/creative websites) both because it's more gender-neutral (girls can be DJs too, and I actually worked as a part-time radio DJ as well as making techno mixes, which makes me BOTH types of DJ, hilariously enough), and it's a closer reflection of my true self.

Anyways, glad to see some of the old guard are still around & doing well, and I hope to not be such a stranger from now on.

20. Blue Monkey

So good to hear from you! We exchanged messages a while back on DeviantArt, but haven't been sure the best way to keep in touch.