Meet Up

This is an open invitation to all Modders. As I am halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago O'Hare, if you are going to be traveling through either city, and have some layover time. please let me know, and we can see about getting together. The same holds true if you are visiting either city. Just fire me a message.

Greetings, Oz, it actually is my company logo for Time Rover Press, a roving alarm clock. I had an artist create it for me.

Excellent in so many ways (triple entendre?)
-;)z

Southern California here. Time and budget are in limited supply but would love to meet up. Oh, and I'm not dead. :)

You, me, @Balthasar... Washington Court House??

Never been there, but that would work for me. I also have thread subscriptions working for this thread again, so I'll get notified of updates (although if there's a specific date in the close future, feel free to send a PM as I get e-mail notifications for those). This weekend is 50:50, but any after that is currently free; even a slightly late weeknight dinner would be possible at that distance.

Next time I get up towards Wisconsin, which admittedly could be awhile as it's been 3.5 years, I'll have to take @timerover51 up on the invitation too. Would definitely be worth going through Chicago instead of the Rockford route.

Similarly for anyone who finds themselves in Central Ohio; it's a less popular travel destination than Chicago, but if you find yourself in the area send me a PM and/or post here and I'll see what I can work out. timerover51 might have actually hit on a potential best-way-for-modders-to-meet-each-other; central meetups with a lot of people may be difficult due to geographic disparity, although I'm hopeful Washington Court House works out, but a meetup when someone's already in a city is much less extra effort.

Quintillus, just let me know if you are heading this way. A large number of folks from Chicago will be heading to Cleveland this week, but unfortunately, I will not be one of them. And Gojira, I may be in Southern California, the Santa Ana/Huntington Beach area in December if you want to meet up then. Still working on that.

As of right now, the 13th is wide-open for me. Might have to look up what's of interest in that general area. I was in Circleville this time last week, but their pumpkin show is over for the year.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to find anywhere more equidistant from Cincinnati, Columbus, and Athens than Washington Court House, and almost certainly no town as large. They appear to have a fair number of historical buildings, and almost every town has somewhere decent to eat, so it could be a good option.

timerover51, I'll let you know if I am heading up that direction. I'm sure a large number of Ohioans will be heading to Chicago this week as well, but I won't be among them either. It should be a good outcome either way; if the Cubs were playing any other team, I'd be rooting for them, but the Tribe was my favorite baseball team growing up, so this week we'll have to be rivals :).

Wait... Chipotle is going to have a burger joint? Am I reading this correctly? That would be worth a road trip, just to check it out.

Edit: It is correct! See http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...w-concept-burger-restaurant-in-lancaster.html for an overview; today (10/27) was opening day. Really not sure what to expect, but it's curious.

Edit 2: So read up on first-impression reviews and their site. Definitely some first-day jitters (assuming they get them worked out over time and once they don't have day-one crowds), but even aside from that not sure what to think. It looks pretty ordinary really. I was expecting a bunch of interesting customization options for the burgers like Chipotle and the local Italian and Korean Chipotle-like restaurants, but even if you can customize all the options, it's a pretty limited amount of options. So I guess it's down to whether the burgers and shakes are noticeably better than the competitors at that price, and it's too early to tell that from reviews.

Last edited:
Alternatively, it's an unfair drive for Balthasar, but Chipotle's first burger joint is opening in Lancaster which is worth a road trip of its own. ;)

Hmm, Lancaster, Pennsylvania means Scrapple to me. I guess I have an odd sense of taste. I also like Spam.

Hmm, Lancaster, Pennsylvania means Scrapple to me. I guess I have an odd sense of taste. I also like Spam.

This is in the smaller Lancaster, Ohio, though. Lancaster, PA would be an unfair drive for all three of us just to try a restaurant! The longest I've driven to try a restaurant is Cleveland, about 2.5 hours away, and I was also meeting a friend who was traveling through there at the same time.

Congratulations on the first home Series win since 1945. That was quite a game tonight. My thoughts can be summarized by Bauer's reaction after he flew out to right - not the outcome I was hoping for, but very well played all around, too much so to be upset.

@WildWeazel @Balthasar Do we want to try for something on the 13th? If so, what time? At this point dinner time is ideal for me but I could do a non-early lunch as well, or mid-afternoon if that works better (we'd also be able to see more of the town pre-dinner if that's a consideration). If we can get a general timeframe down that'd be great so I can let other people competing for my attention on that day know what my availability is. Currently time would be more useful for me to know than location (WCH vs Lancaster), though I propose we do WCH if Balthasar is in so the distance is equitable.

I'm in, too. Washington Courthouse is central to all of us, and will be OK. After all, we're not going to be there for the bar nuts. Know a good restaurant in that area? Oh, and I'd prefer to shoot for an earlier, rather than later, meet up. I'm not a fan of driving at night, and will probably put myself up in a local motel overnight in any case, and drive back in the morning.

There seem to be a fair number of restaurants with decent reviews online, but I don't have any personal familiarity to recommend one. So I guess it comes down to the type of food that's preferred. I see barbecue, Mexican, traditional American, pizza, even Japanese as options. I'm pretty flexible as long as there are some options that aren't super-greasy.

So, the meetup on 11/13 didn't happen (or if it did, it was stealthily arranged by Balthasar and WildWeazel), as I had unfortunate family events that took priority. However, WildWeazel said Thanksgiving weekend may work for him; is that still the case? My preference would be Saturday or Sunday, as there is a high chance of delicious leftovers on Friday.

Top Bottom