• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

Wow! This is great. I haven't been able to play this long since I got the game! I applied the patch and was able to play about 20-30 turns without changing any settings in *.ini files. What happens is that the screen goes to the base map then black but the game doesn't freeze (the animation continues on a black screen). If I save and restart then I can continue again for the same period of time. If I return to the main menu then I see that the animations don't appear. Out of 6 cycles, I got a windows error message once. Before I start tweaking, I thought I would get a consult. I've an AMD 3000+, 1gB RAM, and NVidia 6200 (256k). Game file ~400k. Any advice. What information can I offer to help?

lolmeup said:
Congratulations on your patch, Harkonnen. It seems to be helping a lot of people. You must be overwhelmed with replies and questions.

Harkonnen and all,

AMD 3200 2.2GHz processor
Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro 256 Mb video card
1Gb RAM
SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS sound card
1.09 Civ 4

I have tried insane mode on/off and various settings for vid_mem_usage, and Civ 4 crashes to desktop consistently when zooming out. Any ideas for a fix?

I believe it has already been mentioned about the problem when zooming out. I do believe that Harkonnen has it fixed in his unreleased current patch. He has mentioned that he might be able to get the patch out in 3 or 4 days.

@Harkonnen
For some reason my BIOS will not let me change the AGP Aperture Size, more specifically it does not even show it. Is there anyway (application, BIOS Flash, etc) that will allow me to change said setting?

Gaias said:
I believe it has already been mentioned about the problem when zooming out. I do believe that Harkonnen has it fixed in his unreleased current patch. He has mentioned that he might be able to get the patch out in 3 or 4 days.

@Harkonnen
For some reason my BIOS will not let me change the AGP Aperture Size, more specifically it does not even show it. Is there anyway (application, BIOS Flash, etc) that will allow me to change said setting?

Also, i have a notebook and notebooks usually don't have this setting.
I think they adjusts automatically according to system ram amount or just leave it on default 64MB.
Although i would like to check out that too if there would be an app for this...

Pacth works great on my cofiguration also!

Pentium 4, 2,4 GHz
RAM:256MB
Video Card GeForce 4, 64MB

Good work Harkonnen!

Howey
Just wait for intermediate release and keep subscribed for this thread. I will try to PM everyone who had problems, but I still might forget someone, so please stay here for a while.

The big problem with current version of patch is that you have to preconfigure 'vid_mem_usage'. This appears to be a problem with every bug everyone gets with my fix. At some points in the game it should work like being set to 20, but it must be kept at 60, 80, 150, whatever... for the rest of the game. That new release should solve these problem by automatically adjusting itself. Less to config, less problems...

When will the new release come out? I want to give it a go again. :) And you will fix the globe view?

Great job!
This should be included an offical patch, wondering, have Firaxis -team noticed this, they really should..
Anyway, thanks a lot!:goodjob:

atomant said:
It works for me too ! I had tried everything before now in these forums, but nothing worked except this. Intro.bik movie still jerky and I still have the zoom out globe view slowdown described by others but even that is very much improved. Game play is much faster now. Thanks a lot. You are the man.

Specs:
Dell Dim8250 3Ghz 512MB ram
Geforce 4 Mx 420 64MB Yes only.
WIN XP Prof SP1

insane_mode = 1 ( Switching back to game gives me the black map )

I wish I could get my 50 dollars back and send it to you.
Is there something we can do to help with Firaxis on your behalf ?

I know the patch is working, but I didn't see a banner or anything stating your patch was running/active in the game.

Thanks Again.
do i just put them in my civ4 file?
how did u do it, my specs are close to yours!
and where do i find the "Civiliation4.ini" file at? i did a search but no joy

cerebusdapope said:
do i just put them in my civ4 file?
how did u do it, my specs are close to yours!
and where do i find the "Civiliation4.ini" file at? i did a search but no joy

You edit the harkonen.ini file in harks fix... if you mean insane mode and such... The civ ini is under my documents/My Games/ Civ 4... download his fix from first page of this thread..

After loading my saved game from yesterday, all the sea units have got corrupted. For example, the japanese ships are fully red, mine are totally cyan and so on. If I move my ships, they get the normal colour, but on the next turn, they are cyan again.

Also, some cities' titles get moved to a wrong place if I scroll the screen so that these cities are not in the center of the screen.

Should I disable the insane mode? I have 512MB on Win98 and a 128MB Radeon 9800.

*EDIT*

OK, I managed to get rid of that navy bug by setting vidmem_usage to 64.
I noticed the city title bug only happens in cities which are in the border-zone of the minimap, so that might be Civ4's faul, not the memorypatch.

NonAvail
I am not sure about city titles, but caravels changing their colors are about 'low' graphics settings in civ4 options. This bugs took place before my fix as well. Users of BlueMarble mod also had evidence of this in their thread, aside and before my fix.

(I will reply technical posts when I get back home from the work, not much time for attention right now, sorry...)

It didn't work for me at first and then I heard people were having problems with ATI Tray Tools so I uninstalled that and it started working but I didn't have a change to play it. I decided to finally actually play today and now it isn't loading again. It stops during load at INIT like it did before. I'm guessing something is conflicting again but I have no clue what. I'm using Omega Drivers and I have the latest drivers for my motherboard, sound, etc.

*EDIT* I found the problem. It was Xfire. When I quit that, Civ 4 loads properly. Will these conflicts be fixed in the next update?

Maxor127
Yes, these problems were spotted some pages above.

I am not sure it is possible to fix it with ATI Tray Tools (my first effort failed) - the way it hooks into D3D is not compatible with anything else hooking over it, it just overflows the stack.

I didn't try to fix xFire problem yet. I think that xFire might conflict with ATI Tray Tools as well or probably not... didn't check yet either. If they can live together (xFire and ATI Tray Tools), probably this is because they hook different functions.

BTW, what is your reason for running ATI Tray Tools? I am planning currently to disallow its DLL to load into civ4 process, so that you don't have to quit it, but its effects over civ4 will vanish anyway. If you were using it to see FPS, I have already added FPS meter into my own code to alleviate a bit ATI Tray Tools problem.

Of course, I will not accept such solution for xFire - it should work like it did without my fix when I release the update.

Also note that changing vertex shaders version with ATI Tray Tools sometimes caused crashes with my system (without my fix of course as they don't live together right now).

I don't use ATI Tray Tools, but I use the Omega Drivers and it installs the tray tools by default and I never had a reason to disable them until now.

Damn... This actually works, even on my machine :D Before the patch, my game would crash regularly at turn-ending on a standard map around 1850 and forward. Now, even a huge map is playable to the end. I still get some lag, but bo crashes yet :D Thanks Hark. This has really saved my day.

System specs:

AMD Athlon 1700+
512 DDR 333 MhZ
GeForce MX 440 Se, 128 DDR
Win XP, SP2
Installed on primary HDD.

Harkonnen,

Thanks for your hard work on this issue.

I had gotten Civ IV working acceptably already, thanks to the .ini changes recommended by Kangaroo, so this patch isn't a huge deal for me. But I thought I'd try it and then describe my experience for you in the interest of providing feedback.

Overall, the patch was a mix of pluses and minuses on my machine; I chose to uninstall it for now. Here are my basic specs:

Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2 GHz)
1 GB DDR RAM
MSI nVIDIA 6600GT 128MB AGP video (nVIDIA driver version 81.85)
nVIDIA nForce2 motherboard audio (nForce audio driver version 4.62)

System is regularly defragged, checked for viruses and spyware, Windows updates downloaded, etc.

I am running Civ IV in windowed mode at 1152 x 864; graphics settings set at "high" across the board with 2x AA. Before installing the patch, the main problems I had were short pauses when zooming out to globe view, medium pauses waiting for leaderheads, long pauses waiting for the Military Advisor screen, and lots of skipping in wonder movies.

I installed the patch with vidmem_usage = 64 and insane_mode = 1. (Every program should have an "insane mode", if you ask me!) I quickly noticed that loading a saved game was faster than before. Scrolling was smooth, zooming out to globe view worked without a hitch...I didn't get to check wonder movies, but in general everything ran smooth as silk at first.

But then, between turns, Mansa Musa wanted to see me. The leaderhead came up after a shorter-than-usual pause, but was very choppy. Approximately 2-3 fps choppy, I'd say. Before the patch, the leaderheads had run very smoothly (after they finally loaded, of course!).

That much I could easily live with; but when the next turn started, suddenly scrolling around the map had become slow and hitchy, and the game in general was suddenly very laggy. It was like trying to run the leaderhead had broken something.

It seems the memory savings were still very much evident, though. I soon quit the game, and it closed in record time, and without the extended period of hard disk churning which usually continues well after the game window itself has disappeared.

I had no significant crash-to-desktop issues either with or without the patch.

Hope some of that helps. If there's something in particular you would like me to try out with your next release, just let me know.

-- Kevin​

Harkonnen said:
Lary33
1) What are symtoms? Crash after almost-loaded or CTD or what?

2) Do you load it from the game or by double-clicking? (double-clicking has a minor bug which is fixed, but the fix isn't yet released)

3) Did you try to load autosave from game main menu (i.e. when civ4 just starts)?

4) How much time has passed since you had a reboot? Is it worth continuing game after reboot or it reboots again almost instantly?

Reducing 'vid_mem_usage' in Harkonnen.ini by 20-30 might help, well at least make it happening later. Also setting your swap file to some fixed 2048-2048 or more also should fix rebooting problems.

P.S: I tested it with 4.12 and 5.11 - no difference on my P3-1.3Ghz, 512Mb, 9800 Pro 128Mb
1) Do not even try to open. It shows message "Error opening Harkonnen.ini"
2) both
3) yes, I tried . The same result.
4) I do not know because it was first reboot in this game and I was not able to load autosave to continue

Hark,

atheolon 1.25
ram 768 meg (pc 2100)
geforce 5200

I bit the bullet and installed your patch and it does seem to have eliminated by CTD's. But it disabled all keyboard shortcuts. Some work, but now they do weird things. For example "F" used to fortify, not it switched "mouse camera" on and off. Also right clicking on the mouse doesn't send units anywhere, I have to use the keypad to move them - a pain!

Can't fix it, any clue what I can do to get it back to normal.

Thanks, and don't take any job at Firaxis, unless they create a new one just for you. "Beta-tester Deity" or "Personal Concultant who helps customers tweak their system to make their defective product work" or somethin similarly unprecedented. For you to take the time in this thread to help us dolts tweak our disparate systems to run their products is absurd, Firaxis and Sid are rolling in dough but you are doing their job for them for nothing!

Top Bottom