Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

Harkonnen this thread is now so large it needs its own FAQ!

Patch has worked very well for me so that now even on huge maps which used to crash frequently and evolved rather than ran, I can play for up to ten turns before the map goes black and I suspect this is a driver problem with my Nvidia card.

Specs: A1800+
Asus A78NX-E
1 Gig Ram
Nvidia FX 5600

Since the reason of the slowness seems to be that hard disk space is used as memory, does anyone know whether it makes a lot of difference if you have a SATA or ATA disk?

WOW what a great thread :)

just to answer the Sata/Ide HDD question. SATA will possibly be a little faster, but that will still be very slow compared to no swapping.

You really want to keep the whole game in available RAM for "normal speed" gameplay.

What I wanted to ask is if anyone has made any tests with CPU power. It is obvious that faster clock is better, but what are the effects of dual core CPU's on the game speed?

outstanding !
Civilization was very unstable before you're special fix. Now the game only slows down a bit if it's happening a lot.
Thanks man.

PS. My specs are:

Pentium M 1,7ghz
1024mb of memory
Mobile Radeon 9700 (128mb)

Bast said:
Hi Harkonnen,

When will you be releasing an updated patch? :)

Thanks.

At 4:31am (well, that's what it showed for me here in CST, adjust accordingly), he said it would be released in 9 hours. That would be 1:31pm CST or 7:31pm GMT. Still, let's give him until at least 1:34pm before we start screaming for it. :D

Alakhai said:
The link to the zip seems broke.

I have upload the files in one rar to rapidshare.de

http://rapidshare.de/files/9192998/harkfix.rar.html

Thanks for the patch Harkkonen :p

Again :mad: My T1 came back up and I thought they fixed it until soemone came out and said they were here to ahve a looksee...That they did nothing... It is up right now... Wonder if they did anything yet or it is going to go down again.... Errrr... didn't Isay it felt like it was on the way down? :(

Tuesday late night it went down and came back up and was down Wednesday morning and back up about 9:00 and then up and down for very short periods (No one here noticed, but ICN said they got errors...) If it was down at 8:00pm last night as your post sugests... :( BTW this it totally physical downage we haven't even came close throughput usage wise and we have unlimited bandwidth on top of that... So it has nothing to do with being hit too much if anyone was curious. It used to only go down once or twice at most a year but this year... I think they need to just replace the whole line haha

VRW

"..... screaming for it" ?

As its nearly Xmas you can have a choice in your method of termination
1. death by firing squad
or
2. death by lethal injection
or
3. locked in a room for life with Civ IV release 1 :)

Regards
Zy

phalzyr
Don't blame your self so much, it's surely ok :) I have googled some for the fix, it has spread far away... Most fan sites have posted it in their news section, some mirrored it locally for own forums, and this thing is just too popular for people not to try again :)

The bad thing about those local mirrors is that those people will most probably miss the update... Well, I'll give it another roll of spreading when installer version is ready - and it will have 'check for update' button just in case 2nd update from Firaxis still needs my fix.

Harkonnen said:
phalzyr
Don't blame your self so much, it's surely ok :) I have googled some for the fix, it has spread far away... Most fan sites have posted it in their news section, some mirrored it locally for own forums, and this thing is just too popular for people not to try again :)

The bad thing about those local mirrors is that those people will most probably miss the update... Well, I'll give it another roll of spreading when installer version is ready - and it will have 'check for update' button just in case 2nd update from Firaxis still needs my fix.

At least my site was up for the main dload time frame :) I wasn't blaming myself I have no control of stuff outside my building... Maybe by the time you get your next release ready my site will not be having trouble, usually they fix it same day as error was reported... but if it was up everytime they came out it'd be harder to track what caused the issue...

I'm not upset because I can't post your fix, I knew others would host it after a day or so.... But this is a business T1 and we run a website for users... Trust me when it is down during business hours we hear about it :crazyeye:

hi guys,
i' m an italian civilization' s player, and i want to ask you a thing:
after thre installation of the memory fix, if i want to play a new game, when i have choose the population, the game crash only when i choose the roman faction and the program tell to me that there is an error on civilization.exe.....i ve installed the 1.09 patch
WHAT I HAVE TO DO? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!(sorry for my english:p )

Zydor said:
VRW

"..... screaming for it" ?

As its nearly Xmas you can have a choice in your method of termination
1. death by firing squad
or
2. death by lethal injection
or
3. locked in a room for life with Civ IV release 1 :)

Regards
Zy

Heh! You realize I was joking with that comment, right? Given that he's doing this of his own good will, and isn't even associated with Firaxis, 'screaming for it' is the last thing we should really be doing.

probably a stupid question, but I love playing games and it is slow

how do you start with this? where do I find the ini file and where do I put those downloaded files?

Harkonnen when you come out with the new version of the patch, you should clear up your first post with a definitive FAQ for those that are less technical inclined. As it is right now (though I understand it clearly and others do to), it is fairly cluttered and not very intuitive to read. I would imagine it would lead to less confusion about what to do if their is a clear and concise FAQ that all should follow. If and when you do such FAQ get this thread stickied! Should save alot of time on your part instead of having to answer all question, except the most techical ones.

Gaias said:
Harkonnen when you come out with the new version of the patch, you should clear up your first post with a definitive FAQ for those that are less technical inclined. As it is right now (though I understand it clearly and others do to), it is fairly cluttered and not very intuitive to read. I would imagine it would lead to less confusion about what to do if their is a clear and concise FAQ that all should follow. If and when you do such FAQ get this thread stickied! Should save alot of time on your part instead of having to answer all question, except the most techical ones.

Maybe we should help with writing the FAQ to let Harky do the patch :D

Gaias
kettyo
I know that post #1 is too much to read. Though there will be two things in installer release:

1) only insane mode to set
2) wizard mode to decide true/false (e.g. do you play full-screen, do you alt-tab?)
3) It will warn about AGP/etc.. automatically.

So there might be no reason for a FAQ... well until some new issues. FAQ for current version will be huge (most issues are about tweaking 'vid_mem_usage' vs. 'insane_mode'). Updated version will contain only 'insane_mode', and only 512-768Mb people should care about it. Probably 1Gb too, but less. Well, I mean the FAQ we are about to write now will become obsolete too early to make it worth the effort...

(Still at work, so I am replying only posts which do not need much attention. Evening huge reply will go before the fix)

P.S: BTW, screaming shows the interest, so 'dats good maaaan' :)

Harkonnen:
I know that this is slightly off topic, but when loading your save game, is it just supposed to sit there saying something to the effect of "Waiting for other's turns" or something like that? It is Aztecs' [Montezuma] turn, and it seems that I can control Aztecs somewhat, but not completely. I must be completely lost.... Anyhow, on my machine the memory use is high (about 700+MB RAM, 600+MB virtual) but it seems responsive and playable. I have 1.09 and have not applied Harks' fix (doesn't seem necessary for me at the moment). But I have a beefy machine (FX-57, 2GB PC3500 DDR RAM, 2 7800GTXs) so it must be okay. The only slight lagginess comes in when popping out ot globe view, as many here have stated. Back to my question. Am I supposed to be able to play Harks' save game, or just load it to test mem consumption?

can't use this patch, getting this errormessage:

System specs:
AMD 3200+
ASUS a7n8x rev2
1 GB ram
ATI 800XL

Top Bottom