Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

ALL and Cube4

That's the problem with "win32\zlib1.rc" in zlib sources.

For those who don't care about sources but do care about effects I have to say these things:

1) Yes, I use recent zlib version 1.2.3. Probably not as recent as Firaxis did since their .DLL does not have this problem with different file versions in VERSIONINFO resource.

2) I don't think that zlib security flaw may be exploited in civ4. As far as I know, civ4 uses zlib only to extract FPK resources, and I doubt someone among developers would add some exploitary data to their FPK files...

3) I will recheck zlib.net again with my update, so that things like that no longer confuse anyone.

I decided to give cIV a second chance when a friend of mine mentioned a patch that made the game actually work.

I am now able to play the game with your patch (the one he mentioned) with almost no lag.

I'm not talking about the small maps. I'm saying that on my sub-par 5 year old laptop I am now able to play the Earth 1000AD scenario included with the game on low graphics settings with little to no lag.

You made this game playable for me, and your work is the reason I came back to the Civ Franchise. Not Sid, not one of the modders (all of whom I adore, and many of whom I have helped), not the Firaxis team.

You.

Thank you very much for your hard work in fixing a problem that has driven myself, and others, away from a franchise we have always loved.

pbgrhino
Well, just install the fix and try the above recommendation about 'vid_mem_usage'. With 256Mb of video memory value 180 is definitely a good start.

i am sorry for my ignorance. but what do you mean set my video memory to 180? i have done so many things i am not sure how to do that. thank you rhino

Aeon221
Thank you! :) I was SMAC player long before, and Civ3 player for almost entire year 2005. And I felt the same when not-farcry/doom3/whatever... graphics level game refused to play normally on my p3-1.3, 512Mb, even with quite modern 9800 pro video.

pbgrhino
I mean telling my patch that, not affecting any system settings.

Just double click 'Harkonnen.ini' file in civilization4 folder where you have extracted everything. You may see it just as 'Harkonnen' if explorer hides known file extensions.

There you will see a line 'vid_mem_usage = 80'. You should set it to 180 (or some other value you were recommended), exit notepad, answer 'Yes' to save the file, and then try the game.

Aeon221 said:
I decided to give cIV a second chance when a friend of mine mentioned a patch that made the game actually work.

I am now able to play the game with your patch (the one he mentioned) with almost no lag.

I'm not talking about the small maps. I'm saying that on my sub-par 5 year old laptop I am now able to play the Earth 1000AD scenario included with the game on low graphics settings with little to no lag.

You made this game playable for me, and your work is the reason I came back to the Civ Franchise. Not Sid, not one of the modders (all of whom I adore, and many of whom I have helped), not the Firaxis team.

You.

Thank you very much for your hard work in fixing a problem that has driven myself, and others, away from a franchise we have always loved.
This post should be framed and gilded...it says what I feel too.

I was unable to play at all...I spent my time lurking and trying to help out on the Tech and Bug forums here instead of playing...now last nite I had time to play for an extended period for the first time since this fix was released....and actually got in 5+ hours without a crash or lag...thanks to Harkonnen's hard work. (And also due to all the other's who helped with cheerleading, reseacrch, advice and testing on the original thread too...lest they be forgot.)

There you will see a line 'vid_mem_usage = 80'. You should set it to 180 (or some other value you were recommended), exit notepad, answer 'Yes' to save the file, and then try the game.[/QUOTE]

i guess that i am punch drunk. i down loaded your file i transfered them to programs and fractus. and it over written at leat one file. i was however not able to find what you jsut instructed me... i have been working on the fro more than two months. i am broken in a bame that i reallly love

pbgrhino
Did you fail to find 'Harkonnen' ('Harkonnen.ini') file or the line 'vid_mem_usage = 80' in it?

You may also wait for the next version which will hide all these details below understandable user interface.

Harkonnen said:
pbgrhino
Did you fail to find 'Harkonnen' (or 'Harkonnen.ini' file) or the line 'vid_mem_usage = 80'?

You may also wait for next version which will hide all these details below understandable user interface.
yes i found it and i down loaded it. i got the zip version. i unzipped it. .and here i am still haveing problems. i reset my settings to low and my anti- a*** was al ready zero

This is pure Platinum Hark... when T2 comes to you, you need to hold out untill you can retire on what they offer! And if they take your work and use it themselves, I will personally file the lawsuit on your behalf lol!

pbgrhino
You unzipped the zip to your civ 4 folder right? Or copied the files after unzipping to that directory... By default windows 2000 or newer hides file extensions for known file types. Just look for harkonnen with or without the ini after it.

To turn off "hide extensions for known file types":
1. Open an explorer window
2: Go to tool/Folder options In the menu
Note: You could also go to control panel folder options...
3. go to the view tab
4. look for and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"

Hello All!

Can someone recommend the settings for my system? It seems to be working OK (although I do sometimes have the grey leader box some have mentioned), but I haven't tried anything really demanding yet. And I sometimes see some slowdowns.

I currently have vid_mem_usage = 72 (I split the difference) and insane_mode = 1. Anyway, here's my specs:

Pentium 4
2.4GhHz
512 MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
128 MB
ForceWare 81.95

My in-game video options are
1024x768
Antialiasing 0
Gaphics High
Render High
Globe High
Texture Low

I run in Full Screen mode with Detailed City Information. I do not have the "Low Resoultion Texture" box checked on the right side of the video options menu. Does that interact with the Texture Low on the left side?

My questions are:

1) What should my vid_mem_usage setting be?
2) Should I leave the insane_mode on?
3) Should I check the Texture Low box and what effect will that have?

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

phalzyr said:
pbgrhino
You unzipped the zip to your civ 4 folder right? Or copied the files after unzipping to that directory... By default windows 2000 or newer hides file extensions for known file types. Just look for harkonnen with or without the ini after it.

To turn off "hide extensions for known file types":
1. Open an explorer window
2: Go to tool/Folder options In the menu
Note: You could also go to control panel folder options...
3. go to the view tab
4. look for and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types"
thank you i have had no problem with that. i have extracted the file with winzip. no problem. i placed the files in the fractus folder. i over wrote one file and thie other fiel i left t in that folder. i was not able to find the file

pbgrhino said:
thank you i have had no problem with that. i have extracted the file with winzip. no problem. i placed the files in the fractus folder. i over wrote one file and thie other fiel i left t in that folder. i was not able to find the file

So have you been able to edit the ini then? Did you see four files in the zip? there should be four files in my zip. two dlls, one readme text file, and the ini file. Did you get any errors while unzipping? You can also get the ini on first post seperately (right click- save target as).

phalzyr
Thanks for helping with this issue but I think we have to wait for installer version in this case...

pbgrhino, please take no offence! Several people here are waiting for installer version just because they have problems messing with the files. Not everyone should be a programmer... it is already respectable that you seeked forums to find a solution :goodjob:

The solution that will work for you without all those "where this freaking file is???" is going to become available within several hours.

ChuckP91
Well... you have 512Mb as I do, so here go recommendations:

1) If you can accept occasional slowness (not so occasional in the end-game), then reducing 'vid_mem_usage' down to 60 or 50 should solve problems like gray leaderheads.

2) If you want 100% playability at price of some graphics quality, then you should follow instructions from post #1. Basically:

- Set textures to low (both left selector and right low-res checkbox).
- Set all 3 graphics drop-down boxes to Low

Then you should be able using 'vid_mem_usage = 72' or 'vid_mem_usage = 80' without problems.

As for me (I don't use BlueMarble yet in case you do), 'low textures' do not affect game graphics, except when you 100% zoom in. Same stands for geometry qualtiy. After all, with 512Mb this must be sacrificed anyway.

Low graphics quality along with my fix combined make it playable under 512Mb, otherwise - not much.

'insane_mode = 1' is also a must for 512Mb playability, but you must either run in windowed mode or avoid alt-tabbing (switching to other programs) in full screen mode.

pbgrhino
Just visit this thread and subscribe to it (just in case: thread tools -> subscribe). There I will post a message when installer I am talking about becomes available. This is in case you don't want to receive a lot of messages to/from other forum members in this thread.

Harkonnen... thanks for your recommendation. 1 question tho. When I started up Civ 4 the first time after installing your files, I noticed that the screen-resolution was different from what I normally set it as. It ended up changing all the graphics from the low setting I used the first time I played it to high... Did installing this patch/files mess with the Civilization 4.ini file? Because after installing your files I noticed that the ingame movies were turned on, and before they wern't. Just wished to bring this to your attention. Im partially computer challenged so i hope this made sense.

Patch works great for me...

Celeron 2.0, 512 memory, gforcefx5500 256 memory, xp sp2.

Blue marble terrian, video set to 180 in harkonnon ini, Full screen mode, insane=0, I do not alt-tab, I shut off all other programs when I play, in game graphics settings are 1280 X 1024, 0 aa, high graphics, high render, low globe. I also use the civscale program, and have set the cloud tops and bottoms to low settings, which has improved the globe view. improved playability greatly, scroll across map, can now trade for world maps, and not crash to desktop, still slows down in late game with all the units moving, but I can live with that.

Top Bottom