Memory Leak?

with the harkonnen patch the whole sound of the pc locks up =\
i cant play music even if i close civ4...

Rodatam
Hmm... I don't touch sound subsystem at all. Sometimes I find myself with "2 speakers" settings, but I think that's civ4 effects.

Please note that civ4 doesn't immediately quits. Though it's window is hidden, it sometimes get 1-2 minutes to unload it completely (check task manager). This can be one reason.

Another thing is the problem with speaker configuration change I have shown above. I loose "bass redirection", entire SB Live! 5.1 becomes reset after 1.09 patch.

First off.. thanks for all your hard work. I've been using the patch and it seems to work better. I still have occasional lockups.. but I've never had a CTD problem. Mine just locks up and the speakers start screetching until I reboot.

AMD64 2.6 ghz
1 gig ram
6600 gt nvidia
raptor
audigy 2

The only bug I've noticed that started happening after your patch was that foriegn leaders started appearing as completely grey boxes -- no picture. It doesnt particularly bother me, but I'd thought you'd like to know.

Rob

dosage0
If you are running full-screen mode with frequent alt-tabbing, try setting 'insane_mode=0'. If that does not help, try setting 'vid_mem_size = 50' or at least reducing it by 10-30

Harkonnen said:
dosage0
If you are running full-screen mode with frequent alt-tabbing, try setting 'insane_mode=0'. If that does not help, try setting 'vid_mem_size = 50' or at least reducing it by 10-30

Hark,

Ok thanks for the response. I always play fullscreen and I dont alt-tab so I've left insane mode = 1 and changed vid_mem_size to 50. I'll let you know how it works.

Keep up the good work btw, I hope Take Two/Firaxis hires you on. They obviously need the qualified help. Knowing whats been written about the CEO though, I dont know if you want to work there anyway.

Rob

Hi Harkonnen...

OK, I tried it again yesterday with vid_mem_usage = 40 as you had suggested...

NO PATCH
634,512 Mem Usage
750,856 VM Size
--------
1,385,368 Total Use

PATCH
661,692 Mem Usage
658,560 VM Size
---------
1,326,252 Total Usage

So I finally saw a decrease with the "1961" save game... So I figured I'd try playing one of my games with it, and, as dosage0 said, after a few turns, leader popups were solid grey boxes...

Oh well, I guess I'm going to leave it at "the game runs pretty good anyway"... :) Maybe when you release a new one, I'll try it again...

Harkonnen,

THanks for all of your hard work. The patch has increased my game's performance, however now I am seeing a repeatable Memory Allocation Error with crash following completion of a wonder movie (the first three wonder movies ran fine with your patch).

I'm somewhat of a technical noob, so I'm not sure where I would change some of the numbers you mention (insane mode, for instance). I am still running on full screen, if that means anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.

digamma

1) Set 'insane_mode = 0', set 'vid_mem_usage = 40'. Test it. It should work fine.

2) Set 'vid_mem_usage' to 60, test again.

3) Try 80, 120, 150, 180, test in this order up to the moment when you start getting problems.

4) Now leave 'vid_mem_usage' at the highest value when you had no problems and try 'insane_mode = 1'.

5) If you have started getting problems again, set 'insane_mode' back to 0.

Note1: If you have 128Mb of video memory, you should try only values of '60' and '80' for 'vid_mem_usage'.

Note2: If you alt-tab from fullscreen mode, you should keep 'insane_mode = 0'.

Harkonnen said:
digamma

1) Set 'insane_mode = 0', set 'vid_mem_usage = 40'. Test it. It should work fine.

2) Set 'vid_mem_usage' to 60, test again.

3) Try 80, 120, 150, 180, test in this order up to the moment when you start getting problems.

4) Now leave 'vid_mem_usage' at the highest value when you had no problems and try 'insane_mode = 1'.

5) If you have started getting problems again, set 'insane_mode' back to 0.

Note1: If you have 128Mb of video memory, you should try only values of '60' and '80' for 'vid_mem_usage'.

Note2: If you alt-tab from fullscreen mode, you should keep 'insane_mode = 0'.

Thank you. Am I changing these values in the Harkonnen.ini file?

ok, first things first. Hark, I can not thank you enuogh for working on this problem.
Now on to the bad. At first shot everything seems to be working great. On all my machines. But after two complete games on each box, I seem to be getting the mem allocation error. On each different set up. Very strange. I will test again tonight. I have made no changes to the ini or played with any settings. My thoughts are that I need to tweak it a bit in settings and the ini files.
Any thoughts on this?
Quick note, everything is maxed on each machine right now.

blue3c
Do you mean that you have completed two games, and a new start of civ4 starts giving problems? Or was it same start, i.e. without exiting the game?

Also, did you change something recently (like new 5.12 ATi drivers?)

I am not yet sure there is no memroy leak in this game... my fix reduces memory usage, so it might just move the problem further away, but not solve it completely.

Also there is an update on the way (see memory-fix thread) which will have auto-adjustment improvement, possibly solving this problem...

All vid cards are nvidia, so no new drivers.
Yes, after completing two complete games and a new start I start to see slow down issues, then the error. Didn't want to say anything until I saw it as a pattern.
As I said I have not tweaked any settings or messed with the ini file. I plan on doing that tonight.
Update on the way, is that like the check is in the mail LOL.

blue3c said:
Update on the way, is that like the check is in the mail LOL.

Considering how hard Harknonnen has worked on these fixes and the number of people he has helped, I think that's a bit of humor that is uncalled for. He is not getting paid for any of this work. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but the guy is just volunteering after all...

blue3c
Hmm... this bug seems to have some "memory", so that those 2 finished games affected the 3rd one. Maybe cleaning Windows temp folder might help or another general suggestion which you probably have already tried... I really don't know what can make it so different *BETWEEN* game starts.

gunnergoz
Thank you! :)

Anyway, I have adopted to blue3c sense of humor because my sense of humor is very close to that. After all, my full nickname is Evil Harkonnen ;) There is no need to pin him for being rude when he isn't. His intentions are clean, and that's enough for me, no matter how it sounds :)

I have to say that I tried the Harkonnen patch and it's worked wonders. Before, I couldn't even get past mid-game while on epic-large with only 4 other civs. This time I played epic-huge with the default civs (11?) and actually played through a victory for another civ (around 1950).

Thanks Harkonnen!

gunnergoz said:
Considering how hard Harknonnen has worked on these fixes and the number of people he has helped, I think that's a bit of humor that is uncalled for. He is not getting paid for any of this work. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but the guy is just volunteering after all...

Ok, tried to respond to this yesterday and I kept getting forum is having technical difficulties error. ManO!
Just to make this clear. I was in no way cutting on Hark. Seriously I think all the hard work he has done is "outstanding". And thats said in my best drill sgt voice.
The update I was talking about when I made my check in the mail comment, was one from Firaxis that I have heard is supposed to be coming out. If anyone has read any of my previous post you will find that I do not like firaxis. As a matter of record I hate them right now. It is my belief that they knew about the bugs and rushed production. But that is just my belief and it is to off topic for this thread. :mad:
Hark has stepped up done firaxis job in identifing a problem and address that problem in a timely manner. Considering firaxis has a whole department and Hark is just one person. WOW! :D

As for my recent problems. The more I play the more the machines seem to dog. Clearing the game Cache at the start of each game seems to help. Why this would not be an automatic thing kinda baffles me. But I can see how firaxis could make this mistake at beta. Thinking it could speed up the game to keep the Cached files. Maybe. But since we are well past release.... ARGH.
Anyway when I clear the cache I can complete the game with no memory allocation error. When I do not, it takes two complete game to slow it down to a crawl and then a nice mem allocation error.
I did have a few ctd's but I am not sure those are because of the game. I did go through a geforce 5700 the other day. Man those cards get hot in a hurry. The board actually had burn marks around the chip. WOO HOO!!

So in closing, Hark Rocks, Firaxis sucks balls. Yah that about sums it up.

It looks like I've tracked 1st memory leak issue... not sure yet, but if so - it's video memory leak, so it migh be the problem with CTDs and leader-head problems.

---

P.S: No, it was my bug. I'm sorry for premature claims.

I have tried this previously the past few nights as I had a CTD for the first time Monday night after 3 hours using the cached files. I did not want to post it until I made a few more tests, as I suspected that the cache was the problem, but Blue3c's experience seems to dovetail into mine.

Saved my cache file folder to another place, and run games both uncached and with the old cache that had survived three previous starts, the last one ending with a CTD.

Started each game at last autosave.

Starting Uncached no CTD or memory problems at all. Game will play until I quit. (I admit that 5 hours has been my limit.) (Large Map, default # of Civ's, Continents, low sea level)(Tested this twice)

When I put the old cache folder back, my next game would CTD after two or three hours as total physical memory usage approached 1 GB, my physical RAM limit. (The total memory dump produced by the game debuggerwas about 980MB.)(Tested this twice.) (CTD would happen more quickly the later the game got into later ages, i.e. more buildings on map.)

Hark ini set to 180, insane mode, playing in Windows mode. ATI 9550 256MB AGP card w 5.11 CCP drivers, 8xAGP, 1 GB RAM, 3.6GB page file, Windows XP sp2. ATI taskbar tool enabled.

Top Bottom