1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by jinif, Nov 4, 2005.

1. BlueBomberDude

BlueBomberDude Chieftain

Harkonnen - I finally got around to trying your fix and I must tell you that "YOU ARE THE MAN!". The game works 100% better now - awesome stuff.

Thanks Harkonnen!

2. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

BlueBomberDude

3. Mylon

Mylon Amateur Game Designer

I tried this mod out but unfortunately I'm still getting CTDs. It could be a problem with my mod (I had a similar CTD occur if an improvement with an imvalid art_define was drawn). The times it did crash and do so repeatably was moving from one unit to another and right after finishing up the list of what buildings were going to be built. The first occured aroudn 1200 AD and the second around 1900 AD (the second one increased the number of turns by abouy 20%, so 1900 doesn't quite mean the same).

4. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Hark-
    Blue3c-
    Thanks for your replies, I'm OK with all! Perhaps I'm just fed up with all the negativism I see on the forums about this most excellent game, which admittedly has been spoiled by an imperfect state when it went gold. It's good to see reasonable and civil folks prevail in the end... :)

5. TheVampire

TheVampire Chieftain

Just a note, as I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere. If you install the Harkonnen fix, an then update to the 1.09 patch, you'll need to do the harkfix again as the DLL will change back to the old version. At least I had to on my machine.

6. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

TheVampire
    Well, yes. But my fix appeared after 1.09, and everyone was trying 1.09 those days, so I think everyone would try it with 1.09... :)

7. Kalofyris

Kalofyris Chieftain

I have 1GB of memory and just the same!

In the beggining when first i installed the game it was crushing after 3 hours. Now however it crashes after 20 minutes at max!

BUGS BUGS BUGS AND NOCARE!!!

8. peivand

peivand Chieftain

Hi everyone. I´m very dissapointed about the graphics issue in civ iv.
    I have the same problem that somebody had above: when playing , the game crashes telling me that that is a video memory problem.

p4 2.4
    1gb ram
    ati 128 mb
    1.52 patch
    "low" on graphics
    direct 3d opengl "performance"

A game is supposed to work in "recommended settings" , even though at minimal (thats the meaning of the word , the minimum for the game run and play)

I wonder if civ iv programers , probably phd in computers, have ever asisted to a administration I class ? not even marketing I , just introduction to business?
    - "if the product is bad or it doesn´t work, you won´t buy it again"
    I think that you dont need to be a phd on computers or have an mba or assist a basic business class to realize that. Even at kindergarden you realize that.
    You cannot sell bottles of coke without screw top.
    Or sell a car that doesn´t work for the 40 % of the buyers , yeah , you can´t reach 60 on the car or the car crashes , you cant open the door , you cant put your seatbelt , you cant open the window , you cant start your engine unless you make a "pole" with another car. Civ iv is that car.

A game is supposed to work and not the users try to tweak it.

Check my BIOS ? I´m an average user i don´t know how not to screw up my BIOS.
    Somebody said on a post that the problem is with the Ati card. The programmers ,which i think they know basic marketing, know that a big portion of the market uses Ati cards.

Anyway in civ iv manual you can read the following:
    "its not easy making art for a game that must be playable" Manual p.164
    "...creating a world both beatiful and playable" ib. p.165
    "dedicated volunteers who put up with terrible crash bugs" ib p.167
    --- VOLUNTEERS ? The progammers are not doing their job with crahses? What kind of companies are 2k and firaxis ?----
    "really cared about Doing Things Right for the player" ib.p166

Excuse me, doing things right for the player? As i said before i´m highly over recommended settings and thaegame still crashes.

9. Halon

Halon Chieftain

You are full of crap bub.

You claim to know what you are talking about then offer no supporting evidence other than claims of your "wit" going back to 7th grade. Hooray for you.

Harkkonen is on the ball on this, you are not. Please refrain from posting your mindless drivel unless you want to clarify some statements others make with intelligble posts.

10. Harkonnen

Harkonnen Prince

Halon
    DaEezT
    I don't like to be on any side with crusade against anyone... I mean I'd like not to be on the side in crusade aginst DaEezT. Halon, please do not take this post as a crusade against you! :):):)

I'd also prefer not to be on the side of crusade against Firaxis, but sometimes it's too hard to handle...

I myself was mistaken many times in this thread. First of all I said that python memory allocations were the source of problems. That was wrong. Then I supposed that entire rendering is python-based. That was wrong too. The solution resulted in 'memory-fix by Harkonnen' isn't memory leaking or python-based at all, but that means that I was wrong here many times. Nobody is perfect :)

11. Halon

Halon Chieftain

You still offer supporting evidence for your assumptions whereas DaEezT does not.

So regardless of your mistakes (which you found, corrected, and admitted to), DaEezT never offered anything but his unfounded opinion. :)

12. civcoolhead

civcoolhead Chieftain

I also have video memory problem in using v1.52.

Suprisingly I did not have that in v1.09.

My video card:
    ATI x300 with 64MB memory

13. blue3c

blue3c Warlord

Now to the most jaw dropping statement of the year.

"Wait till the next patch. I have it on good authority that many of your vid problems and game play issues may be fixed."

Yes that came from me, the man who has bashed the most when it comes to civ iv. But hold tight. After speaking to who I spoke to and then listening to what the said, after what I said. babble babble babble. Bottom line, wait for the next patch. coming to a server near you soon. But not later, but it could be later, while some would say thats soon. Get it, GOOD. WAIT.

14. Sevenhertz

Sevenhertz Chieftain

I'm awakening this old thread to ask if this problem has been solved yet?

15. pygbe

pygbe Chieftain

In my experience, as I had that problem, I can say Yes. Everything is working fine now, never had a crash since the last (or maybe the previous one) patch, without messing with system configuration. So buy the game :) or Re-install it and patch it. Have fun.

16. MxxPwr

MxxPwr Chieftain

Yes, in patch 1.61 the words 'fixed a memory leak' were actually used in it's fix list. Since then, (and Warlords) I haven't had a memory allocation error.

17. ledhed

ledhed Chieftain

I get memory allocation failure " fatal error" after warlords is playing for about an hour..seems it is failing to crush the data (??) Because the corrupted save it produces shows... say 1556 kb while the correct save may show 512 or less.

BUGGY BUG ,,,,and I already changed my page file for Oblivion...not that 2000 ram and a ge force 7800 gtx shouldn't run it with dual 3.0 ghz cpu...but hey..maybe you need a really beefy rig to run warlords ...meh..:mischief:

how can you release a buggy expansion ??? that comes with patches for the game it expands on???????????????????????:crazyeye:

18. Sevenhertz

Sevenhertz Chieftain

Thanks for your replies - I think I will give it another try,

Regards,
    Ian

19. seady

seady Prince

The memory allocation bug is ongoing... a workaround seems to be to quit and reload every hour or so.

20. tomart

tomart Chieftain

Although I have enough RAM (640mb) to run the game ok, many Wonder Movies would stutter and/or lock up and force me to restart. After restart, the movie works fine. :rolleyes:
    So I figured out that when the computer (and CivIV) is on for many hours, is when the movies would crash. So now I watch for approaching Wonder Movies, Save and restart a turn or so ahead, and they play fine.:D