Memory leaks?

Ossian

Warlord
Is it just me or does this mod seem to really bog down mid/late game?

I have no problems with normal civ and I can run up to large map late game without problems (giant late game slows down a bit)
Is there a memory leak bug or something because when I hit turn it can take from 13-30 seconds to turn and it's making me sad. :(

It's probably just the number of units/size of the map. Every turn it basically goes through every plot, every unit, every city and check to see if stuff needs to be updated on it, then it also needs to do the AI for every unit/city. Plus every one of those units takes memory as well.

Right now I have a huge game open and it's only taking 730 MB ram, I have 3 gbs so not enough to make it start paging and slowing down that way. But it does take a good 20-30 seconds each turn as it does stuff.

It's not a memory leak, it's CPU throttled. There's a lot more calculations taking place than in regular Civ. From what I understand, the AI has to calculate if it should use spells, which spells to use, etc etc. There's a lot more overhead.

Either bear with the delays or just use smaller maps... Good things come to those who wait, eh?

I've had to stop using Huge maps in FFH2 although that was my preferred size for games. I play at Epic speed, so from mid-game on it was taking minutes not seconds between turns. I was only able to finish one game (conquest victory) and gave up on the rest.

However, since I dialed down to Large maps, it has been much better.

I have 2gb of RAM and considered upgrading to 4gb, but fortunately a kind soul here told me it would not work with XP and I cannot get Vista here.

So, for now, I just use the smaller map and less ai civs.

I have a quad core running @ 3.4Ghz with 4GB RAM, on a standard map at standard speed the mid game (~turn 250) takes almost a full minute per turn.

I have Athon 64 3200+ with 1Gb RAM and my experience is the same as most reported. And I observed intensive swapping only after many reloads. Resume:
1. RAM size no matter (at least after 1Gb)
2. Increasing power of CPU does not make detectable influence on threshold.

After some time the size of save start growing dramatically with each turn as well as time consuming. I think after some time the number of units start growing enormously and that process is able to kill any CPU very fast.

What to do? Increase unit support. Make it more hardly dependent on the number of units.

I have 2gb of RAM and considered upgrading to 4gb, but fortunately a kind soul here told me it would not work with XP and I cannot get Vista here.

This is not quite the truth, i upgraded my pc to 4 gb 2 days ago and i can use 3.5 gb under xp 32 bit. However with some older motherboards and or bios you have to edit the boot.ini to get at least 3 gb to work. You will never be able to use all of the 4 gb ram though. Under 64 bit version 4 gb are no problem.

I'm also very dissipointed in my system's performance on Large+ Maps.
I have a pretty fast system, with 4Gb Mem, but have to wait a min+ on large maps.

Has anyone tried the settings in the Civilization.ini file?

; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
MemSaver = 0

; Disable PAK memory mapping (May affect performance)
DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 0

Does any of that help?
Any other suggestions?

Well, I did have a crash at one time after playing quite a long session... I'm not 100% certain there isn't some memory leaking somewhere.

Victor can you explain that more in depth?

Memory leaks may cause slowness but the way to distinguish them from just being busy doing all the things the game is supposed to do is to save, reboot your computer and reload. If the time between turns is dramatcially less than before your reboot then there may be a memory leak.

I haven't seen any evidence there is a memory leak so as others say its probablly just processing all the stuff in FfH. If anyone has a save game that takes more than 60 seconds between turns attach it here and I'd be glad to take a look at it.

I have a quad core running @ 3.4Ghz with 4GB RAM, on a standard map at standard speed the mid game (~turn 250) takes almost a full minute per turn.

That's a very nice CPU. Sadly, I don't think Civ is multiprocessor aware, though, so you're probably not getting any use out of 2 of those cores.

here is one, it takes... o i would say around 4 minutes... well it IS on a huge map...

Attachments

• Sid AD-0404.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
Problem is I have 1.5gb ram 3.2ghz and 256mb gfx
So I shouldn't be having slow downs period. :(

I'll go with my large game further and if it gets bad I'll post a save.

Ossian,

In your "C:\Documents and Settings\victor\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword" folder, there is a fale called: "CivilizationIV.ini"

If you open that up, it has the options I showed in my post above.
I don't know what effect changing the settings have, I was wondering if someone else did.

I have a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB Ram. Running Nikis's Huge 19 Civ map at 300+ turns takes only a few seconds between turns.

I have a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB Ram. Running Nikis's Huge 19 Civ map at 300+ turns takes only a few seconds between turns.

Marathon? :D

Or some changes in configurations?

Normal speed, autosave every turn, no other changes to the default settings other than graphics (and if that would have any effect, I changed them all to highest quality).

I downloaded Sidamos's save game and the first turn took quite some time (I got up to brush my teeth). Then I noticed that the whole map was revealed and hit Ctrl+B (is that the Worldbuilder?) to reinstate the fog of war. The next turn took roughly a minute and that included the animations for about 6 fights.

Top Bottom