Memory usage

In extreme case they might still be needed (but only in cases where the viewport would have to be smaller than the normal single screen view!), and they remain technically the only basis we have for solving the multimap issue at some point. However, for most purposes, in the current mod, they are effectively superseded by the graphics paging.

Its nice to hear, that graphic paging is so efficient :)

No more switching viewports :D

SVN 6103, 4GB RAM, Windows 64 bit.

The initial loading (getting to menu screen) went from 5 minutes to about 40 seconds. wow, C2C loaded really fast!

SVN 6103, 4GB RAM, Windiws 64 bit.

The initial loading (getting to menu screen) went from 5 minutes to about 40 seconds. wow, C2C loaded really fast!

Watch your spelling, its important when doing XML, i am just getting you used to making sure is all, ok, no biggy here, but in the committing it would have been:(

One thing i have noticed though is the turn times have INCREASED. I know compromise is one thing, but heck, i like both!!:p

I also noticed a turn time increase with the new automated version, compared to the manually set fixed radius version.
The price for easier scrolling I suppose.

@Koshling

How often system calculates ehat variables values set for graphic paging? Each turn?

I am asking because Principie noticed longer turn times

@Koshling

How often system calculates ehat variables values set for graphic paging? Each turn?

I am asking because Principie noticed longer turn times

Each turn slice IF you have moved the view at all since the previous turn slice, but its very low cost. I'm pretty sure he is imagining it. If someone can do timings on the SAME save game in the SAME turn and demonstrate this I'll look into it, but given the nature of the code it's implausible at least if you have 'minimize AI turn times' on (it's more plausible but still very very improbable if you don't). If you don; move the view while the turn is processing it is never called at all.

Don´t have the time to check it with various settigns ( vieport, paging) now, but I think it is not the recalculating of paging needs that makes my turns slower ( not uch..talking maybe 10 to 30 sec here), but the design of the auto paging using all available resources, and cutting stuff if it runs out of those.
The manual setting could be set values that left a lot of memory room, at the cost of more/longer in-turn loadings.

I wouldn´t worry too much about it, since I think total turn time didn´t change. End turn time got longer, but in-turn jumping of views got faster, canceling each other out.

before changes with viewports and 24 civs, on large map i got 1.8 - 2.6 gb ram used (with progression of game)

how situation should look now ?
please post your ram usage

before changes with viewports and 24 civs, on large map i got 1.8 - 2.6 gb ram used (with progression of game)

how situation should look now ?
please post your ram usage

It should stick just over 2G now unless you modify the global define values, unless that isn't enough even with everything but what is immediately visible pages out.

If it operated reliably for you up to 2.8 you might benefit from setting the threshold it trims to a bit higher than the 2g that it is currently set to. I chose 2g to be a bit conservative, because I was seeing memory allocation at around 2.5, and I wanted to leave a float because it can only adjust at the start of every time slice, so the ai usage for one turn can always add into that before it gets a chance to trim back again.

i got CTD \ MAF`s then usage crawled to 2.5gb and up.. so then it 2-2.3gb it`s okey... for me

Just to give you designers a heads up: I wanted to improve my pc performance, I have a diesel gaming laptop ($3000), but its getting pretty old now.

I've been fideling with my computer for ages trying to optimize performance. Today, I installed PC Matic (you know like on TV) and I just came back from martial arts class so I can see how it is going to handle my gaming.

BTW, PC Matic, specifically identified Caveman to Cosmos as the only program on my computer as "highly fragmented" and then it compressed the distance to read better. The program said the issue is fixed. This is from the defragmentation part of the fix.

I would say there are only two things slowing down Caveman to Cosmos and it isn't the amount of data. (My Skyrim game is like 15.5 GB compared to C2C's 1-1.5 GB...).
I would say it is the distance of the files, not compressed enough, and the beyond horrible gamebryo engine. I hate this gaming engine. If someone can tell me how I can get civ 4 to run on one or two processors that would help, that usually helps with the horrible engine, also used on other games.

EDIT: I'm already experiencing huge performance increase. The Sevopedia has much less lag for example, about to start up a new game.

Just to give you designers a heads up: I wanted to improve my pc performance, I have a diesel gaming laptop ($3000), but its getting pretty old now.

I've been fideling with my computer for ages trying to optimize performance. Today, I installed PC Matic (you know like on TV) and I just came back from martial arts class so I can see how it is going to handle my gaming.

BTW, PC Matic, specifically identified Caveman to Cosmos as the only program on my computer as "highly fragmented" and then it compressed the distance to read better. The program said the issue is fixed. This is from the defragmentation part of the fix.

I would say there are only two things slowing down Caveman to Cosmos and it isn't the amount of data. (My Skyrim game is like 15.5 GB compared to C2C's 1-1.5 GB...).
I would say it is the distance of the files, not compressed enough, and the beyond horrible gamebryo engine. I hate this gaming engine. If someone can tell me how I can get civ 4 to run on one or two processors that would help, that usually helps with the horrible engine, also used on other games.

EDIT: I'm already experiencing huge performance increase. The Sevopedia has much less lag for example, about to start up a new game.

I hope someone knows what the heck he is talking about, i am lost:dunno:

At least I think I get the fragmentation part. Especially with SVN the C2C files probably get way more fragementation then other games, because you write over them so often. IF this really makes much of a difference would depend on your computer, mostly the hard drive.

I hope someone knows what the heck he is talking about, i am lost:dunno:

He is talking about Disk Fragmentation, which is a standard computer maintenance program. If you have a normal hard drive to need to Defrag your hard drive at least once every 1-2 weeks.

Download this program called Smart Defrag, its free.
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

Since Windows 7 (or possibly Vista) it automatically defragments your drives once per week. Well, I think that is the default - you can change it to some other interval or turn it off. It defaults to something like "1 am on Wednesdays" and if your computer is not on at the time it is scheduled to start it might not be doing it.

The point isn't just to defragment the individual files, I believe, but to make sure that all the files are located relatively close to each other as well. This is one of the reasons a lot of games pack their small resource files into larger (uncompressed) packs.

I`m suggest move information about defragmenting civ files to FAQ.
And remove from this thread.

and on topic :

game on first 5-10 turns take 700mb with paging turn ON.

I`m suggest move information about defragmenting civ files to FAQ.
And remove from this thread.

and on topic :

game on first 5-10 turns take 700mb with paging turn ON.

Yup, circa 700M is what it costs to load the map and all the assets with more or less no graphic - it's roughly the floor memory usage of the mod.

Top Bottom