Memory usage

The point isn't just to defragment the individual files, I believe, but to make sure that all the files are located relatively close to each other as well. This is one of the reasons a lot of games pack their small resource files into larger (uncompressed) packs.
I'm not one hundred percent sure about it, but it may have little of usage in this case, as have a serious feeling, this game is not too smart about managing its data, and read most of them at once at the beginning.

I'm not one hundred percent sure about it, but it may have little of usage in this case, as have a serious feeling, this game is not too smart about managing its data, and read most of them at once at the beginning.

That is correct, after the initial loading phase civ 4 uses next to no disk I/O. So fragmented files would only make loading slower, after that everything is in memory.

That is correct, after the initial loading phase civ 4 uses next to no disk I/O. So fragmented files would only make loading slower, after that everything is in memory.

While this is true of the XML, I'm not sure it applies to the graphics and audio, at least some of which are loaded on demand (e.g. - wonder movies)

True, but the loading time on this mod is horrible even under ideal circumstances. Not that de-fragmentation or consolidation would help me, I'm running it from an SSD.

While this is true of the XML, I'm not sure it applies to the graphics and audio, at least some of which are loaded on demand (e.g. - wonder movies)
It's probably not a bottle neck at that point, though.

However this doesn't really have much to do with memory usage.

Why do you guys care about memory so much? What size map? The big elephant in the room is the turn times. It's so bad that I can't see how you can have fun in the long-term.

Why do you guys care about memory so much? What size map? The big elephant in the room is the turn times. It's so bad that I can't see how you can have fun in the long-term.

There speaks a youngster who has never experienced a two day turn around on a computer program.:D:old:

Because if you run out of memory you're dead. If it goes a bit slower, you can still play and browse or read between turns if you have to. One is falling off a cliff, the other is a gradual degradation.

When I don´t use huge maps and turn off the "show moves" for both enemys and friends then turn times are absolutely no issue anymore for me, even in the very late game. We are talking about a minute or at most 2. This is a really huge improvement compared to older mods (was it ROM?) when it could take up to half an hour! And C2C has so much more content...

There speaks a youngster who has never experienced a two day turn around on a computer program.:D:old:

I have not expedience 2 days but I use to have this old program called El Fish and it took most of the day just to generate one fish. Note El Fish was an MS Dos game I played on my Window 3.1. Later on around windows 2000 when my computer was a bit better I tried it again and it produced like thousands of fish in seconds! it was crazy the amount of difference between our first Windows PC and a newer PC ony a few years later. I can only image how many fish I could make in a second on my current Windows 7 PC.

When I don´t use huge maps and turn off the "show moves" for both enemys and friends then turn times are absolutely no issue anymore for me, even in the very late game. We are talking about a minute or at most 2. This is a really huge improvement compared to older mods (was it ROM?) when it could take up to half an hour! And C2C has so much more content...

True :D
Good old ROM days, when you hit enter and then went to do the dishes,came back and the turn still wasn´t done...
Shortly before I found C2C it was about 20 to 25 min turn time for me. And MAF every second or third turn from late renaissance onwards.
Believe us Maxima7, the current C2C turn times might seem slow compared to vanilla. But looking at the amount of content in C2C, the way bigger maps, more civsand so on it is super fast.
Look at it this way: If you are used to sports cars a minvan seems damm slow. But C2C is a truck moving like a minivan.

Is there a way to make sure the memory usage is enabled? I'm asking because it took 4-5 minutes to load the mod and I don't see an appreciable time between turns to start difference..

Is there a way to make sure the memory usage is enabled? I'm asking because it took 4-5 minutes to load the mod and I don't see an appreciable time between turns to start difference..

First load will always take a long time, because it has to build the cache of assets from scratch. Subsequent loa should be much faster. This doesn't really have anything to do with memory usage though.

Top Bottom