Metric 4 US!!

These guys are nothing but ******ed morons.

"After saving the crown on the British pint, I am happy the Conservatives have persuaded the Commission that it is good not only for international business but for the British people that traditional measurements are kept," he said.

See? Morons. Good for international business, yeah right. It's soooo good when you have to use double measurements everywhere! What a great way to save time and money, and not confuse people!

I realise that, see my edit. I'm not a daily mail reading hate the frenchies and their metric ways person, I just like a pint or two :)

500ml = 1.05 US pint, deary deary me. 565ml in a British pint. That's the problem we would have if we are forced into metrification, pints are shortchanged and the price stays the same (or goes up - it's more complicated for us brewers now).

Well, de facto, metric is the language of science, and used in research in the USA.
Why care so much whether a pipe is in inches or centimeters?

Well, de facto, metric is the language of science, and used in research in the USA.
Why care so much whether a pipe is in inches or centimeters?

Pipe fitters or plumbers I'd say. Unless you like leaks of course.

Pipe fitters or plumbers I'd say. Unless you like leaks of course.

Brilliant, but that's why we have conversion indexes. I say it should be totally free choice, since it's only going to cost the taxpayers or the consumers to force a change.

Ooh, pet peeve. You mean "indices". Sorry.

Indeed, tis' indices and matrices. And I'm sure what people might 'pay' in forced conversion will be made up for in the increased productivity you get from not doing needless conversions.

The problem with switching to Metric in the US is that you'll confuse the hell out of about 90% of the population. I mean, they taught us metric in school, but unless you went into a field that uses it on a daily basis, we all forget it. I'm 30yrs old, and I can eyeball a parcel of land and tell you how many acres it is pretty easy. I can guess people's heights and weights in feet/inches and pounds. I can tell you how many miles to the nearest bar. But if I see some of you talking about things in Metric, I have no clue without breaking out a conversion calculator (that's free from microsoft, and easy as heck to use anyway).

Really, why does anyone outside the US care what system we use? Leave us and our antiquated system alone. We like it, and we aren't giving it up! :p

when you're the worlds only superpower you'll get to be a cool nonconformist too.

personally i wouldn't be terribly upset if we went to metic, but I'd probably continue to use the imperial system in common language.

Well maybe not height, but weight, or temperature.

Pah. With weight, we need to use newtons, not kilograms; kilogram is a unit of mass, not weight, anyway. It's still roughly the same order of magnitude as pounds, anyway. We can call a quarter pounder a one newtoner!

Dual-labeling is stupid.

I say that as I drink from my 500ml/16.9 fl. oz./1.05 pt bottle. Yes, those are all on there.

Actually, I take that back... if it weren't for dual-labeling, I would have no idea 500 ml = 16.9 oz. That is the only reason I remember anything about metric volume measurements.

Dual-labeling is a great way to learn. :D This is why I'll watch movies with the Spanish subtitles on.

The problem with switching to Metric in the US is that you'll confuse the hell out of about 90% of the population. I mean, they taught us metric in school, but unless you went into a field that uses it on a daily basis, we all forget it. I'm 30yrs old, and I can eyeball a parcel of land and tell you how many acres it is pretty easy. I can guess people's heights and weights in feet/inches and pounds. I can tell you how many miles to the nearest bar. But if I see some of you talking about things in Metric, I have no clue without breaking out a conversion calculator (that's free from microsoft, and easy as heck to use anyway).

The confusion would go away within a month or two if we actually went all-out and used nothing but Metric. People learn quickly when they need to know.

Talking of pints, I can't stand the "OMG they're going to make buying a pint illegal if we go metric". Surely even if people buy/sell quantities in metric, a "pint" can simply remain the name of the thing you buy. When you buy beer, you're not usualy buying an arbitrary quantity - e.g., most pubs would look at me a bit funny if I specified 600ml of beer, say. Instead, you're buying one of a set number of products, named "pint", "half pint" etc. Just like people buy a "single" or a "double" for spirits, or a "bottle" in some cases, none of these are metric either.

....Just like people buy a "single" or a "double" for spirits, or a "bottle" in some cases, none of these are metric either.

Actually, technically, even if you are using imperial you are still indirectly using metric. Ever since 1958, imperial measurements is no longer a stand-alone system; it is defined against metric. For example, the conversion rate between inch and centimeter isn't done by measuring each quantity to a certain level of precision and then reconciled against each other. Instead, an inch is defined as exactly 2.54cm, a value of technically infinite precision. When you order a 'pint', you are actually ordering, what is defined as, exactly 0.56826125 L.

Talking of pints, I can't stand the "OMG they're going to make buying a pint illegal if we go metric". Surely even if people buy/sell quantities in metric, a "pint" can simply remain the name of the thing you buy. When you buy beer, you're not usualy buying an arbitrary quantity - e.g., most pubs would look at me a bit funny if I specified 600ml of beer, say. Instead, you're buying one of a set number of products, named "pint", "half pint" etc. Just like people buy a "single" or a "double" for spirits, or a "bottle" in some cases, none of these are metric either.

Yeah, they're just making noise for the sake of making noise. As it is, when you order a beer, you're going to get as much as a centimeter of head. There's arbitrary for you. If you specified 600ml of beer, I'd ask you for your measuring cup. ;)

Top Bottom