1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (Private Beta I)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by PCHighway, Feb 18, 2005.

1. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Let me rephrase that; SM's looks more like a city than does your latest attempt.

2. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Ack! mrtn said, in this thread no less, that some guy might be better than JRRT! BLASPHEMER!!! :D

3. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

Well, I think I write better than JRRT, but he is far more successful, even in death, as I haven't even been published yet. :sad:

4. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

Actually, I suspect you might just be in the majority of people who regularly post on this thread... I know I would be interested.

As far as city graphics go:
    Has anyone considered porting things from the game KohanII Kings of War? Their undead cities might provide some very decent basis for conversions... I'm posting several previews from a quick match type building game. For more pictures of all the buildings, check out:
    Kohan II Undead Buildings
    Other races buildings (such as the human for the high, the Drauga for the low men, and perhaps the Gauri for the Dwarves) might prove useful.

I don't actually have the game, just the demo (which can also be dld from that site, but would be happy to take screenshots of anything.

Anyway, I'll see if our graphics gurus think that would be useful...

Attached Files:

5. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Yes? I said I'll try again... :rolleyes:
    Besides; it's a difference between the small walled city and the big metropolis.
    @RRNut: Yes please! I want as many screenshots as possible! I'd prefer them if they are so that no building obscure another, it's better. :)
    If you could mail stuff to me it would be great. :)

6. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

MRTN:

Do you have broadband? If so, it would probably be easier to simply download the demo yourself. Otherwise, pls tell me what screenshots of what buildings you would like (the lists are on the website).

Edit: There is someway to manually place buildings, but I can't remember what it is.. will investigate.

Edit 2: When you start a game, use options to dissallow automatic placing of buildings and allow rotation to get better views.

7. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

OK, I'll investigate things when I'm sober. ;)
    I have broadband. (Otherwise PCH sending me the beta would have been a real pain in the donkey. ;))

8. The Last Conformist

Not unlikely. But we're hardly representative of Fantasy readers in general.

9. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

:dubious: And you're the one who gets to play with the beta first??? :p

Does anybody think AoK buildings will work for some cities? If so I can see what I can do. I don't know what groups we still need. They should be ok for the mannish groups.

10. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

If anybody still cares, I found names for Alatar and Pallando in HoME XII: Morinehtar and Romestamo; meaning Darkness-slayer and East-helper in Quenya.

11. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Hm, Darkness-Slayer doesn't seem to fit a SGL for the Easterners...:undecide:

12. AlcTrv

AlcTrv Only goes to one thread.

Who's gonna be translating? :)

Anyways, they needed light to defeat... um... the... dark elves! yeah... damn elves of darkness...

13. The Last Conformist

HoMe XII also gives the name Romestar, Romenstar for the East-Helper.

14. Mithadan

Ach, we'll just say Darkness-Slayer didn't live up to his name (apparently the two blues didn't, eh?).

15. The Last Conformist

There are conflicting claims in the Professor's papers on what the Ithryn Luin actually did away in the East. I can't be bothered to excavate references right now (and some are in UT, which I do not have at hand), but it's said both that they abandoned their mission and became founders of "magic" cults among men, and that they weakened Sauron by stirring up unrest against his rule away in Rhûn.

16. AlcTrv

I gathered that they only weakened him via competing, ie draining his resources by taking them themselves, not purposely undermining sauron's rule

course, I haven't read it in a while, and I suffer from multiple as yet undiagnosed learning disamabilities.

17. The Last Conformist

In a brief note reproduced in the section "Last Writings" (p384-5 in the HarperCollins paperback edition), the Professor wrote this:
    This is pretty explicit that it was the Valar's design that the Blue Wizards should cause disruption in Sauron's rear, and that they succeeded in that. But as already said, the Professor also experimented with other fates for the Ithryn Luin, that reflect rather worse on them.

18. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Some evil cities:
    Accidentally the shot shows some new resources too, this is the first time you'll see either Lebethron or Mumakil (yes, it's larger than the vanilla elephant).

19. AlcTrv

Mmmmmm mushrooms...

hmmm... I know this is likely something that I'm way out of my league with, but is there any way you can copy + paste in another pair of tusks? I think if they had 4 main tusks as in the movie they would be more easily recognizable.

Of course, this is why I don't mod much ;-p

PS- and my apology regarding my forgetfulness and generaly room temperature-IQ as to the Blue Wizards >_<

20. Mithadan

Interesting bit on the Blue Wizards, I'd never come across that either.

I really like the stones on the bonus grassland (that's probably an old, common by now, graphics mod that I just never new about, right?).

The cities sure look darn evil! Maybe too much so? Ach, I don't care. I sure as hang couldn't do any better! mrtn, you are doing good work.