Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

Another idea -- drawing from the popularity of FfH2 -- it would make sense to include Civ-specific heroes and magic items in Middle Earth. They would add quite a lot of color and would be even better in specific scenarios.

I ran a full game with the present version, and speed bogged down significantly during the later stages because the map is so large and crowded. I have a fairly performing PC, yet turns eventually took more than a minute to complete. A stronger limit to the number of units in play during later ages would certainly help. Significantly increasing the cost of unit support past a certain level to prevent Civs from wielding colossal armies, or even implementing a hard limit of some kind might help achieve this goal, not to mention making strategy more relevant. I'll also echo someone's else's suggestion to add a few more things to build in the early stages. In the latest stages of the game, I ran out of both buildings to construct and techs to research; the game turned into an endless slugfest from that point forward. I'm pretty sure that the top 4 or 5 Civs in the game were also at that point, so ALL of their income went into continually building massive armies, which contributed to lengthening the processing time. I gave up within 60 turns of the end game, having been unable to actually win (I wasn't honestly trying; I was just learning the mod more than anything else).

Random events might be a nice thing too, especially if they're modeled after the works of Tolkien. Last comment: poor Sauron! Everyone kicked his evil butt right from the beginning of the game. I don't think Sauron's Civ ever made it past the 2nd or 3rd place from the bottom of the pile. None of the other Civs were ever destroyed btw (that's because vassalage was in play).

Are oversized units planned for future development, like dragons and trolls? Ghost hordes might be triggered when completing a challenge, and stay in play either for a limited duration or until a specific objective is achieved. I'm sure others have thought of all this earlier in this forum, so I'll leave this here and wish you good luck with the project. Thanks! :)

Edit -- something else crossed my mind. Please move the iron resource to a more accessible location for Gondor. Currently, it ends up within Rohirim-controlled lands, which makes no sense since Rohan hails from the other side of the mountain range. The only way I found of securing the all-important iron is to build a city next to it, and then going to war with Rohan when that city flips. That kinda sucked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! I will take them into consideration.

My last final has been finished. Middle-earth Mod updates may soon continue.

I have the same problem as MrBiliard. FFH2 works fine but not Caveman2Cosmos nor this mod. In "About this build" (civ4 BtS) it says

Civ version: 319
Save version: 302
Build Version 3.1.9.0 (128100)

is this right?

I have the same problem as MrBiliard. FFH2 works fine but not Caveman2Cosmos nor this mod. In "About this build" (civ4 BtS) it says

Civ version: 319
Save version: 302
Build Version 3.1.9.0 (128100)

is this right?
Do you have a CD, GOG, or Steam version?

Make sure the mod path is:
.../$Program Files/Firaxis/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Middle-earth

The next folder should have "Assets".

If there's still a problem, please lemme know!

Wow I'm an idiot. I had it saved as "Middle Earth". Renamed it as "Middle-earth" like you have it and works fine.

Is the BUG version outdated compared to the original version?
Currently yes. If I get a chance I will change that but right now I am busy with life. Graduating just created a new set of responsibilities. :cry: :lol:

Hi, are you sure that actually you uploaded the correct files? Because I see no difference between 3.0 and 3.0.1, and I have two issues:
a) Umbar is unplayable (doesn't appear neither on the map nor on the selection)
b) the two starting technologies are disabled

I completed a game on this mod.

It was very enjoyable. It has great immersion. So many mod specific buildings, techs, units, terrain bonuses, etc. Very impressive. :thumbsup:
The civs which did the best in my game were Harrador and the Lake Town civ, presumably as they have much more room to expand than the other civs.

A few suggestions if you manage to find the time to do any more work on this mod:
Archer, marksman and ranger all use the same icon in the build screen which is not very aesthetically pleasing.
Maybe you could add the outer edge of the undying lands to the map, as currently there is very little benefit in building ships.
Some additional maps/scenarios to add the replayability of the mod (a battle for Middle Earth set at the time of LOTR would be sweet).
Addition of tech quotes
Unique historical goals for civs (I appreciate that is really hard to implement).
A code for decreasing the use of stacks of doom (there were some massive ones in the game I played). Again I know this is hard to do, I think both Realism Invictus and PAE have some code implemented to counter this.

Also echoing what was said above, Umbar did not appear in the game I played.

I completed a game on this mod. (...)
I'll second the problem with stacks of doom and general overcrowding. Civs build far too many units which results in absurd army sizes and slows down the game.

Edit -- Realism Invictus does a good job as regards limiting unit overcrowding (essentially, the cost of units increases by a given % each time a unit is duplicated, so some that are pretty powerful become very expensive fairly quickly.)

Last edited:
Finally have a chance to work on this for a few hours today. :clap:
I completed a game on this mod.

It was very enjoyable. It has great immersion. So many mod specific buildings, techs, units, terrain bonuses, etc. Very impressive. :thumbsup:
The civs which did the best in my game were Harrador and the Lake Town civ, presumably as they have much more room to expand than the other civs.
Sounds good!
A few suggestions if you manage to find the time to do any more work on this mod:
Archer, marksman and ranger all use the same icon in the build screen which is not very aesthetically pleasing.
That could be because of the civ you are using. I need to update all the buttons for civ-specific art.
Maybe you could add the outer edge of the undying lands to the map, as currently there is very little benefit in building ships.
Some additional maps/scenarios to add the replayability of the mod (a battle for Middle Earth set at the time of LOTR would be sweet).
In the works, along with a smaller map for those who want a tighter game. :)
Addition of tech quotes
You did a really great job collecting those. :thanx: I will get it done eventually. Just when is the question.
Unique historical goals for civs (I appreciate that is really hard to implement).
That's still on the to-do list. :lol:
A code for decreasing the use of stacks of doom (there were some massive ones in the game I played). Again I know this is hard to do, I think both Realism Invictus and PAE have some code implemented to counter this.
I am going to try increasing the :hammers: cost of units. I also reduced the unit production bonuses on civics to reduce that. :D I am also gonna slow down some of those crazy :food: buildings.

Also echoing what was said above, Umbar did not appear in the game I played.
Strange. I will fix that.

I am going to try increasing the :hammers: cost of units. I also reduced the unit production bonuses on civics to reduce that. :D I am also gonna slow down some of those crazy :food: buildings.

Sounds good. In general everything was perhaps just a little too productive. Later in the game most building, units, or technologies could be built/discovered in 3 turns or less. Despite this I rarely ran out of buildings to build, which shows how many you have in the game!

By the way how did you mod the tech ages so that they read for example "Third Age" instead "Medieval Age"?

Sounds good. In general everything was perhaps just a little too productive. Later in the game most building, units, or technologies could be built/discovered in 3 turns or less. Despite this I rarely ran out of buildings to build, which shows how many you have in the game!

By the way how did you mod the tech ages so that they read for example "Third Age" instead "Medieval Age"?
You have to change the names of the eras. Be careful though, some python files reference eras. I can't remember which ones.

You have to change the names of the eras. Be careful though, some python files reference eras. I can't remember which ones.

The names of the eras is found in one of the XML files?

You have to change the names of the eras. Be careful though, some python files reference eras. I can't remember which ones
If you only change the text keys (in XML/Text), there should be no problem. Changing the content of the <Type> Tag in XML/Gameinfo/CIV4EraInfos.xml might cause problems.

If you only change the text keys (in XML/Text), there should be no problem. Changing the content of the <Type> Tag in XML/Gameinfo/CIV4EraInfos.xml might cause problems.
Indeed. It is easier to do it that way, but I did it the other way and changed every reference.

Don't know if this is a known bug or not, but if you use a great person to found a value for the first time, there will not be a holy city. A great merchant can spread Commerce before anyone researches Artisanship. If that happens even once Artisanship is researched there won't be a holy city.

Pretty sure this happens all the time, unless some values never get holy cities.

Still working when I get a chance! :)

Which isn't much. :(

But here's a treat for anyone still following: a smaller map of Middle-earth, with Umbar included. I created the map from scratch, and hope you enjoy. I will be working on various other maps and some other features before I release an update.

Attachments

• Middle-earth Small.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    214.8 KB · Views: 92
Top Bottom