Military "Pictionary" Game II

sydhe said:
Looks like that typhoon Nimitz's fleet ran into in December 1944.

Good question and answer :goodjob: , I think you are right.

What seems odd about Honblower's picture is the guy on the right in the foreground seems to actually be smiling to the camera.

nonconformist said:
What seems odd about Honblower's picture is the guy on the right in the foreground seems to actually be smiling to the camera.

Yeah :lol: It kind of reminds of my days when riding the school bus to and from school.

When ever we hit this one sharp curve on the way to school, somebody would yell "Everybody to the left side of the bus! Lets see if we can tip this son of a b**** over!!!"

Somedays we actually would come pretty close....

he is smiling...there is another of those pods like that further forward...its a AA gun and the camera must be in there

Sydhe is correct.

The typhoon was an absolute cracker. Some say one of those one in a hundred year things. Stupidly Nimitz didn't run from it but kept to the schedule of operations and sailed right into its teeth. It managed to totally destroy a whole task group. Not a singe ship escaped damage or injury. Some were scattered as far as New Guinea and Hawaii. Eight ships were so badly damaged that when they made it to harbour they were written off and scrapped.

The photo is of USS Langley an auxillary aircraft carrier after the storm. In the classic style of old fashioned sailors when the going gets tough then you have to get outside and have a joke with your mates. The AA platform that the smiling sailors are in is normally about 25meters or 80 something feet above water.

Your go Syd....

nonconformist said:
Wow :eek: I wouldn't be smiling in his situation!
Sometimes that's your only ammunition along with prayer.

Here's the site of a major battle. What is the battle and who were the leaders.

isnt that Bansai cliff. where the japanese committed suicide instead of being captured byt the americans? Guam wasnt it?

I may be wrong

The white sign looks like the Blue Oyster Cult`s sign.

Is it Okinawa?

Traitorfish said:
Wasn't that destroyed by a tsunami?
IIRC, there were two invasions: a smaller fleet made it to the beaches, but the troops it carried were defeated by the Japanese. The larger fleet was destroyed by a typhoon (not tsunami).

Not many takers. Here's a clue. The water in the picture is fresh.

Also, if you've heard of the battle, the answer should be easy.

Top Bottom