MLDR005 NOW what?

If we're lucky, the indecisive Portuguese stack will mostly destroy itself attacking Sagres this interturn. Even if it doesn't, we have enough units in the area to contain it, and to advance on Guimaraes before long.

Our army will be fully healed and ready to advance into southern Portugal next turn. It probably shouldn't attack the first city to its south, though, because that one's on a hill. All the units stacked with the army (mostly just captive workers, unfortunately) should move out before it does, to get the benefit of the road before the army pillages it as it leaves.

The Portuguese still have plenty of units running around, but with Lisbon gone we can reasonably hope that their remaining productive capacity is small.

The Portuguese have gems as well as ivory, so before too long we'll have two luxuries.

I've switched Sagres and Push the Front from wall builds to a barracks and a curragh, but they can be switched back in case of emergency.

Right now our homeless scientist is in Push the Front. He should be moved every couple of turns so that no one city is handicapped.

As I've mentioned, Moscow is on a four-turn settler/warrior cycle. With a little adjustment this can be turned into a five-turn cycle yielding a spearman or archer instead of the warrior, if you don't like building the latter.

Rostov (our pre-build city) will be fully developed, assuming six worked tiles, once our worker team mines its grassland tile in two turns. It's hard to know whether we should then merge a worker into the city to get it to size six. Obviously the added production would be good, but we'd have to put the lux rate up to 40% or even 50% to keep the town out of disorder at that size.

The workers which finish their tasks around Rostov should probably then move east to start extending our road network beyond Yaroslavl. It's never pleasant to waste worker-turns on movement, but it seems necessary in this case.

I didn't know that about curraghs. I usually just move them to a point of land and send them out. NP's method means far less lost curraghs.
Good work on the Ports, They should die in the next 20. After lit, we should probably get HBR, and crank as many horses as we can.

will get it tonight, probably play tomorrow

intend to advance slowly, we need to fill the land we conquer. will think about preparing W front for war agains germans.

i got it

lit needs 48 turns@min, our prebuild is good for 19 (for now), GLib needs 33@7spt. 40% science gets us lit in 19@-6gpt.
know now what road NP was talking about :)
not much to do for german front. (rostov locked, novgorod has walls&rax)
ports have 5 cities

plan:
tend toward 40% science
what about using the settler NE to stop/slow german expansion in that direction?
play in 5h earliest, more likely tomorrow

el_filet said:
tend toward 40% science

Yes, absolutely.

el_filet said:
what about using the settler NE to stop/slow german expansion in that direction?

If you think this can be done safely (I mean relative to the Portuguese), sure. We'll have three settlers at the beginning of your first turn, with another arriving every four turns, so we can afford to be a little ambitious.

As Moscow produces warriors (assuming you stick with the settler/warrior cycle), you might just send them to Rostov to guard against a flip there--which is quite possible, and would probably cost us the game.

was unfit for duty yesterday...

530 BC (0):
switch novgorod do settler
up science to 40

IBT:
2 swords impale themself at sagres
moscow: settler->warrior
blacktown: spear->archer
germans start TGL

IBT:
lose spear at sagres
pay otto 29g
moscow: warrior->settler

490 BC (2):
kill 2 swords and archer near sagres
send army in wrong direction :wallbash:

IBT:
blacktown: archer->spear
novgorood: settler->spear
bas-tibira(babs) completes TGL

IBT:
pushthefront: curragh->rax

450 BC (4):
switch yaroslavl to settler

IBT:
moscow: settler->warrior
blacktown: spear->settler
push the front riots :( (moved unit out after happy checking)
ur completes GLib :cry: :aargh:

430 BC (5):
found smolensk on rubble->rax
with no AA-wonders aviable now (except TGW), switch rostov to HE (loses 2 turns of production)
army loses 8HP destroyin guamares

IBT:
ports advance on push the front
moscow: warrior->settler
rostov: HE->walls
faraway: worker->rax

410 BC (6):
destroy invaders
up lux (moved units ot of cities)

IBT:
get boot from otto
novgorod: spear->spear

390 BC (7):
found orenburg->granary
up science

IBT:
FP message
blacktown: settler->spear

370 BC (8):
missed to MM moscow last turn
kill pillager
switch sagre to granary

IBT:
moscow: settler->spear
yaroslavl: settler->worker

IBT:
rostov: walls->rax

330 BC (10):
found krasnoyarsk near ivory->granary

notes:
army ready to attack emerta
ivory online soon (connect to sagres)
2 newest cities can become powerhouses, so set to granary
settler on his way to found 3 N of krasnoyarsk (germans just built city close to it, we may wait now until shortly before we have to declare)
another 3 NE of this suggested new city would close this front (1 settler near sagres intended for that)
we need some culture (for that reasen and trade value i let lit on high science)
FP location?

Roster:
meldor -> UP

ChrTh -> on deck

Orenburg would be a good FP location, assuming we're talking about building it with a Great Leader.

Surviving without the Great Library will be a challenge, but I think it's possible. We'll probably be able to self-research IW (swordsmen) and Mathematics (catapults) before we have to go to war with Germany. And we'll soon be able to build our cheap libraries, at least.

meldor,

let me know if you're not going to be able to get it by tomorrow; I'll jump ahead :)

330 BC (0)
The army kills two spears in the Porto capital. Looks like we need to take time to seriously get things ready for Germany.
(I) Moscow Spear->Settler, Blacktown Spear->Archer, Novgorod Spear->Spear

310 BC (1)
Capture Emerita and get a worker. They are down to 3 cities.
(I) Nada.

290 BC (2)
Kill off two Porto archers. Start blocking a German settler/AC pair.
(I)

270 BC (3)
Still blocking the Germans. Moving to get the Ports before they get home.
(I) Ouch, the Germans start the party early and declare on us! They lose a warrior, kill an archer and steal a worker. Moscow settler->spear.Yaroslavl worker->archer.

250 BC (4)
Elite archer kills a reg Port Spear. We steal a Port Scout. Our archer army kill an archer and gets our worker back.
(I)A German galley attempts to sink our Curragh, it is now a vet. Blacktown archer->archer. Novgorod spear->spear.

230 BC (5)
One archer dies, but we kill the AC guarding the settler. The second archer becomes elite. Archer army kills an AC and warrior. We found Khabarovsk. We get the Ivory hooked up.
(I) We lose an archer fortified on a hill. The Germans lose a horse attacking our army. Moscow archer->spear.

210 BC (6)
Our army kills another German warrior while moving back.
(I) The Germans lose and archer attacking a spear.

190 BC (7)
Found Bryansk to backfill part of the former Portugal. Turn science down as Lit is due.
(I) We lose an archer to a Porto sword, the good news is that they have to have iron. We get Lit and start IW due in 7. Moscow spear->archer. Blacktown Archer->Archer. Rostov Rax->Archer.

170 BC (8)
Movement only. Odd that the Germans aren't sending anything more at us.
(I) Ah, a German sword and warrior appear. Novgorod spear->spear.

150 BC (9)
Not much.

I am moving some spears to the northeast as that seems to be where the German interest is...
I has gathering a stack of archers near Moscow to take care of Hanover while we can.
Things slowed with Portugal while I paused to see where the Germans would come from.
There is settlers one step away from where our last two spots we can get for now. I tried to get a leader for the FP but didn't get anything.

Microbe (On Deck)
RomeoTheMonk
Northern Pike
el_filet
Meldor
ChrTh (Playing)

We have the beginnings of a hit list:
Portugal = 3 cities to go
Germany - Couldn't wait, guess they didn't like me blocking the settler.

I stopped at nine to even things up and let ChrTh have a chance to adjust thing as he might for the Germans. Once things settle down, we need to get back to Portugal.

meldor said:
Odd that the Germans aren't sending anything more at us.

I think they're still basically in the expansion phase, with a lot of small, unproductive cities because they've been building settlers (or at least they were at the beginning of your round). It won't last. :crazyeye:

The question of whether our curraghs can survive their journey along the German coast to make contact with the rest of the world now becomes painfully important. It's an unpleasant surprise that the Germans attacked our curragh; my experience has been that the AI is very reluctant to attack with galleys in Conquests.

I got it.

Should I make peace with the Germans if at any point they're willing to (especially if we can get some Techs out of it)--of course, that means we're forced to string Porto along for 20 turns and it'll give the Germans some time to breathe.

never mind, I answered my own question :)

You can make peace with Germany if you think that the Ports will last longer than twenty turns without the war with Germany. Remember, we must declare asap on Germany if we can, and we must pursue the war with Portugal and not purposely drag it out. I think you have the idea already.

If we don't think Portugal can last 20 turns and need to make peace, we can combine peace treaty with an MA, so as soon as Port is gone we are automatically at war.

Of course, if Germany signs peace early we will be at war early too.

well, I think that by focusing on Germany for a few turns, it will take 20 turns to leave the German front and reposition troops into Portugal and complete the elimination, so I may take peace with Germany if I can get something for it.

Turn 0 -- 150BC

This is weird, I left off my last SG at 150BC ...

Everything looks good (well, except for the German dominance on the continent). Do a little MMing in Sagres to get two extra commerce at the cost of a wasted shield. Swap the Archer in Blacktown with the regular Spear.

Goals for this turn: fight off Germany ... take Hanover ... prepare phor phinal Portuguese push ... make First Contact with another CIV

IT:
Portos want to talk. I tell them to read the description of this SG variant, look at the list, and see if they can figure out my response on their own.

Germans do some moves ...

Turn 1 -- 130 BC
Moscow Archer->T'Pol (sorry, Enterprise joke) Spear

Germans have two stacks heading towards Krasno ... the front stack is Horse Horse Sword Warrior, the rear stack is Arch Sword

IT:
Two horses assault Emerita, and fall. 2-0
Blacktown Archer->Spear
Rostov Archer->Spear
Sagres Granary->Worker

GERMANS ARE BUILDING SUN TZU :eek:

Turn 2 -- 110 BC
Kazan is built in the SE (I realized I was in the wrong spot in the E so I lost a turn there :blush: )

IT:
Warrior and AC die attacking Krasno, we lose a spear to a sword 4-1
Moscow Spear -> Archer
Novgo Spear -> Spear

Turn 3 -- 90 BC
Hanover is guarded by Pikes ... I chicken out

In fact, I chicken out so badly, I make peace with the Germans. I'm able to get a Peace Treaty (20 turns), I add in Literature and get Math, CB, and IW as well (yeah, only saved one turn on the last one, but we need that turn) and 10gold. I order up HBR in 4.

There's Iron by Orenburg which will be online in 1 turn. Also Iron on the Lonely Mountain.

In the Blacktown grows to 7 and is about to riot. I hire an entertainer. Rostov is also about to riot, so I hire a scientist and switch build to Worker (will starve in 4 turns anyway)

Novosibirsk is built

IT:
Germans retreat :twitch:
I foolishly left an Archer where a Porto sword could kill it :blush: 4-2

Blacktown Spear->Spear
Rostov Worker->Temple
Yaro Archer->Spear

Change Moscow to Sword

Turn 4 -- 70 BC
Settlers now in Orenburg in case anyone is looking for them

IT:
Porto Sword (who had been redlined) went after another Archer and lost 5-2
Moscow Sword -> Sword

Turn 5 -- 50 BC
Moving troops east

IT:
Blacktown Spear->Spear
Novgo Spear->Spear

Turn 6 -- 30 BC
:sleep:

IT:
Dammit, lose an archer to another Porto sword (had mismoved the Spear with him, didn't realize he was vulnerable). 5-3

HBR is in, order Mysticism, due in 4

Moscow Sword->Sword
Sagres Worker->Worker

Turn 7 -- 10 BC
More troop movement

IT:
The Portos have destroyed improvements!
Blacktown Spear -> Spear
Farawayfromportugal riots :grr:

Turn 8 -- 10 AD
Archer Army has its revenge on the sword. 6-3
The Curragh rounds the cape of good hope!

IT:
Sword attacks Kazan, is defeated. 7-3

Moscow Sword->Sword

Turn 9 -- 30 AD
:sleep:

IT:
Yaro Spear->Spear

Turn 10 -- 50 AD

Not much. Nice stack waiting to attach Portugal (and get those gems we need). Mysticism in 1. We have 13 turns left of peace with Germany. I was unable to make first contact. Or take Hannover. :cry:

It looks as though we're well set up to finish off the Portuguese. :goodjob:

ChrTh, you've said you're a little rusty after your well-earned break from the game; so I hope you'll excuse a few comments on your builds, offered in the fraternal spirit for which this series has always been noteworthy. :lol:

EDIT: Actually, a number of these projects were started before your round, of course. So these are just my observations on the builds, not your builds.

We desperately need to get some catapults built before we return to war with Germany, and the cities which provide them won't need barracks. So I'd switch Faraway from barracks to a library (and then cats), and switch Smolensk directly from barracks to a cat, despite the loss of a few shields.

Bryansk and Kazan are building spearmen without barracks. I'd change Bryansk to a cat and Kazan to a worker.

Sagres is a first-ring city for us, and now that it has a granary we should let it grow rather than exploiting it for workers. I'd switch to a cat there too.

One of our cheap libraries would be a more useful build in Rostov than the temple now under construction. If you're concerned about happiness there, Portugal's gems should solve that problem before long.

Smolensk is about to riot. ;)

Come on NP, tell us how you really feel... :)

Microbe (Playing)
RomeoTheMonk (On Deck)
Northern Pike
el_filet
Meldor
ChrTh

We have the beginnings of a hit list:
Portugal = 3 cities to go
Germany

Top Bottom