[Mod] Civ 6 Improvements Patch

Seeking feedback - proposed Government bonuses changes.

Justification: I want to address tall vs wide playstyles. At present, there is really no meaningful choice the player needs to make when choosing how many cities they want (ie tall vs wide). A player simply creates as many cities as practical at the time. I want to offer players a meaningful choice to go one way or another.

Change:
upload_2016-11-1_14-12-4.png

Justification: I want to address tall vs wide playstyles. At present, there is really no meaningful choice the player needs to make when choosing how many cities they want (ie tall vs wide). A player simply creates as many cities as practical at the time. I want to offer players a meaningful choice to go one way or another.

I absolutely love the idea. As a tall player myself, I found Civ VI really gave me the shaft. I feel constantly punished for not mindlessly churning out cities. In fact, you got me so interested in this, that I created an account here just so I could post my sincere appreciation for your work!

I am relatively new to modding, myself. I can't really help you with any of the coding at all. I can help you with playtesting, though. I've logged about 200 hours into Civ VI by now, about 120 hours of which have included your mod.

One issue I have found so far, is that the social policy "Public Works" adds the +4 food bonus to *every* district and wonder. I had a game recently where I adopted it, and I suddenly was producing around 200 food in some of cities!

Looked through your mod, and again, I have only very limited modding knowledge, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it's been behaving that way. Figured I'd offer you the feedback, however.

But as a longtime Civ player, playing way back during the DOS days, and even earlier (many forget that Civ started off as a board game in the 80s), I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this mod with the community. I know it still has a long way to go, but I am wholeheartedly optimistic in its potential. Keep up the good work!

Change:
View attachment 457224

Oh no, don't reduce it in other cities, it's already hard enough to get a city growing even with a trader in the classical era, instead simply make the bonus smaller in capital city like 15%. And are you sure it's necessary to make it ALL yields? For comparison, in civ 5 only Food growth was increased. Although in civ 5 science was increased based on population but not in civ 6 so that's fair, but production is still based on population, more pop = more tiles worked.

It's hard to tell if 30% is too much since there's no drawback from going wide, did you test it in the long run? At the first look I'd say it would be fairer to change it to 15% Food + Science and 10% Production, Culture, Gold, Religion.

Also are you going to switch oligarchy bonuses with autocracy? And 2 diplomatic slots is OP, oligarchy is jack-of-all-trades. That's its power.

And lastly, I've noticed that even with this mod, there aren't enough passive non-expansive oriented military civics (I don't mean the added general points per turn but standalone effects). By that I mean effects like reduced maintenance cost, something that you wouldn't need to engage into so that means not producing something (increased production towards X unit, district). Maybe something like science from encampment buildings/strategic resources. Double production from military buildings/strategic resources.

One more thing, what do you think about City States quests requesting Great People? It's unfair to request a great person that is era's away and is so much more harder to get than any other quest.

Last edited:
Actually, addressing "Tall vs Wide," as well as the above comment, I believe a taller Civ should be better at science, culture, and faith, whereas a wider Civ should be better in industry, economy, and warfare. What I propose is, certain governments that will either heavily boost your capital's science, culture, and faith gains in the capital, while another form of government would benefit the wide player, giving them a slight boost in industry and economy in every city.

The best way to design game mechanics, is let players decide how they want to play. Help all strategies equally. That way, the taller Civs can be happy, and the wider Civs can be happy. There should be a government and social policies for everyone!

I absolutely love the idea. As a tall player myself, I found Civ VI really gave me the shaft. I feel constantly punished for not mindlessly churning out cities. In fact, you got me so interested in this, that I created an account here just so I could post my sincere appreciation for your work!

I am relatively new to modding, myself. I can't really help you with any of the coding at all. I can help you with playtesting, though. I've logged about 200 hours into Civ VI by now, about 120 hours of which have included your mod.

One issue I have found so far, is that the social policy "Public Works" adds the +4 food bonus to *every* district and wonder. I had a game recently where I adopted it, and I suddenly was producing around 200 food in some of cities!

Looked through your mod, and again, I have only very limited modding knowledge, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it's been behaving that way. Figured I'd offer you the feedback, however.

But as a longtime Civ player, playing way back during the DOS days, and even earlier (many forget that Civ started off as a board game in the 80s), I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this mod with the community. I know it still has a long way to go, but I am wholeheartedly optimistic in its potential. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words. The issue you're describing sounds like a bug I fixed recently. Try the new zip file in the dropbox link. Unfortunately it might not be save-game compatible so it may not fix your current saved game.

Oh no, don't reduce it in other cities, it's already hard enough to get a city growing even with a trader in the classical era, instead simply make the bonus smaller in capital city like 15%. And are you sure it's necessary to make it ALL yields? For comparison, in civ 5 only Food growth was increased. Although in civ 5 science was increased based on population but not in civ 6 so that's fair, but production is still based on population, more pop = more tiles worked.

There are numerous other changes in this mod that improve classical city growth so I wouldn't worry about that. Going oligarchy is a choice you can make if you want to focus on a strong capital tall build, it's not mandatory.

It's hard to tell if 30% is too much since there's no drawback from going wide, did you test it in the long run? At the first look I'd say it would be fairer to change it to 15% Food + Science and 10% Production, Culture, Gold, Religion.

Also are you going to switch oligarchy bonuses with autocracy? And 2 diplomatic slots is OP, oligarchy is jack-of-all-trades. That's its power.
I reverted oligarchy back to 1 Diplo slot as part of the the overhaul.

And lastly, I've noticed that even with this mod, there aren't enough passive non-expansive oriented military civics (I don't mean the added general points per turn but standalone effects). By that I mean effects like reduced maintenance cost, something that you wouldn't need to engage into so that means not producing something (increased production towards X unit, district). Maybe something like science from encampment buildings/strategic resources. Double production from military buildings/strategic resources.

I agree and there are a bunch of changes in the pipeline coming for this. It's very time consuming to learn the new xmls so I can't go as unique as I would like. For example I wanted to give some military policies less upkeep for types of units, planes for example, but couldn't get it to work.
One more thing, what do you think about City States quests requesting Great People? It's unfair to request a great person that is era's away and is so much more harder to get than any other quest.

Great people in civ 6 are not as meaning ful as they should be. I want to do a a similar overhaul to them as I did with policies. Could definitely use the help of the modder community.

Great people in civ 6 are not as meaning ful as they should be. I want to do a a similar overhaul to them as I did with policies. Could definitely use the help of the modder community.

I'm 50/50 on this. I don't like being forced to get a horsehockey great person and miss out on the next great one. There are some good GP's - Scientist that gives +5 hp/turn during rest to all current and future units.
General that gives bombard with ancient walls - 2 hits and its gone. Merchant that gives economic slot, luxury.

The most lackluster person I got I think was Alfred Nobel, he gives eureka for 2 techs and get this, a measly 20 GP points to all GP, not points per turn, a one time boost. I'm in the modern era, I can get 20 points in 1 turn, would've been much better if he applied something like +3/turn or +5/turn to all great people.

But ancient era GP are a joke for the most part.

Hello, very good Work.
I have a question. I was translating your mod in French and I saw this at the end of PolicyText.xml :

<Where Tag="LOC_POLICY_SYMPHONIES_DESCRIPTION"/>
<Set>
<Text>-20% [ICON_GOLD] Gold cost of purchasing Great People. +4 [ICON_GreatMusician] Great Musician points per turn. +100% [ICON_Culture] Culture yield from Theater Square buildings.</Text>
</Set>
</Update>

<Update>
<Set>
<Text>Units no longer lose [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength from being injured. All units heal for an extra +5 HP.</Text>
</Set>
</Update>

Is normal the two appearences of LOC_POLICY_SYMPHONIES_DESCRIPTION with two differents texts ?

About Tall vs Wide, I suggest merchant Republic to get...
[Double trade value inside empire] this should allow one big tall city served by smaller one
[trade value go both side of city inside empire] this should suit better for wide style

Also, where did the eureka modifier is inside the mod folder?
I want to custom it to something like 40% for myself, and can't find it.

I really like your modifications in general. Though i dont like the new oligarchy government. It just makes no sense to me; achiafo already talked about it. I changed some other things on my own: warrior and slinger maintenance=1 (ai stopped to spam them), distance to other civilizations or city states raised (because i play on huge maps), less barbarians (only 2 camps max per civ), scouts sight-range raised by 1 and they can no longer block ways, warriors sight-range decreased by 1, a little bit less months per increment in the ancient era (now 100 turns until 1000BC) in standard gamespeed. Now the game feels way better with your improvements. Are you sure, that the AI's researchspeed is decreased aswell? It somehow feels like they are way faster in researching than me. Keep up the good work!

Also, where did the eureka modifier is inside the mod folder?
I want to custom it to something like 40% for myself, and can't find it.

It's in the TechRules.sql (you can modify it for example with notepad++).

I really like your modifications in general. Though i dont like the new oligarchy government. It just makes no sense to me; achiafo already talked about it. I changed some other things on my own: warrior and slinger maintenance=1 (ai stopped to spam them), distance to other civilizations or city states raised (because i play on huge maps), less barbarians (only 2 camps max per civ), scouts sight-range raised by 1 and they can no longer block ways, warriors sight-range decreased by 1, a little bit less months per increment in the ancient era (now 100 turns until 1000BC) in standard gamespeed. Now the game feels way better with your improvements. Are you sure, that the AI's researchspeed is decreased aswell? It somehow feels like they are way faster in researching than me. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback.

Re change to Oligarchy - This is aimed at making tall civs more competitive. It is optional - you don't have to go oligarchy if you don't like the style. I am considering changing it to growth and science only, as per some other suggestions though.

It might also make more sense in the context of the other government changes, which I haven't done yet.

Hello, very good Work.
I have a question. I was translating your mod in French and I saw this at the end of PolicyText.xml :

<Set>
<Text>-20% [ICON_GOLD] Gold cost of purchasing Great People. +4 [ICON_GreatMusician] Great Musician points per turn. +100% [ICON_Culture] Culture yield from Theater Square buildings.</Text>
</Set>
</Update>

<Update>
<Set>
<Text>Units no longer lose [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength from being injured. All units heal for an extra +5 HP.</Text>
</Set>
</Update>

Is normal the two appearences of LOC_POLICY_SYMPHONIES_DESCRIPTION with two differents texts ?

Yep, this is a mistake. The bottom one should be National Identity.

I have used your mod for the last week and really enjoying it so far!
How ever I would just like to encourage you to not just buff things. It seems to me that the latest changes are making the game significantly easier.
So even though I like the mod I would like to see some more balanced changes. (Like what you did with the government change)

Thank you, since the number seem odd I didn't think it's that attribute.
Actually, I am curious on how the number 1.7 make the Eureka bonus 0.30?

I have used your mod for the last week and really enjoying it so far!
How ever I would just like to encourage you to not just buff things. It seems to me that the latest changes are making the game significantly easier.
So even though I like the mod I would like to see some more balanced changes. (Like what you did with the government change)

Glad you're enjoying it. Keep in mind the AI's get the new policies also so technically its not really a buff. Albeit the AIs are pretty stupid and wouldn't get as much benefit as a human.

Actually, I am curious on how the number 1.7 make the Eureka bonus 0.30?

In Boosts there is Boost="50" for every tech. 50/1,7= 29,411764705882352941176470588235... Better would be 50 / (5/3) = 30, but 5/3=1,666666666666666666666666666666.... isnt that much of a difference to 1,7.

In Boosts there is Boost="50" for every tech. 50/1,7= 29,411764705882352941176470588235... Better would be 50 / (5/3) = 30, but 5/3=1,666666666666666666666666666666.... isnt that much of a difference to 1,7.

I see, thank you for the clarification.

Hi Doren! - Could you please share the files / code you changed? Your changes sounds cool.

Hi Doren! - Could you please share the files / code you changed? Your changes sounds cool.

Hey, I'm sorry i dont rly have time for this now. (and especially not for mod-upkeeping) But you should start with these links, and by using your brian, you will find everything else.
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/59lsbf/map_settings_reference_everything_ive_found/
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58tbvd/list_of_answers_to_bugs_and_ui_issues_answers_to/
To find out how to use it as a mod, you should look into Xaviar's mod-files.

Top Bottom