[Mod] Civ 6 Improvements Patch

Hey, I'm sorry i dont rly have time for this now. (and especially not for mod-upkeeping) But you should start with these links, and by using your brian, you will find everything else.
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/59lsbf/map_settings_reference_everything_ive_found/
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58tbvd/list_of_answers_to_bugs_and_ui_issues_answers_to/
To find out how to use it as a mod, you should look into Xaviar's mod-files.

Thanks mate! I'll try to see if I can tweak it up. Much appreciated!

Hello Xaviar and first of all thanks a lot for the great work!

I am a bit particular in here since I was on holiday when the game launched, still not back and can't wait to get hold of my copy. But I spent a great deal of night hours browsing the forums for reviews and first impressions and I will definitely get my game as soon as I'm back.

Your mod looks great for addressing balance, especially sea tiles, and production vs science. I plan to use it after my first game in vanilla.

As most of the complaints rise also around AI improvement namely unit upgrade and AI behavior I just wanted to have your opinion on the following mods
Delnar ai cleanup mode
Siesta guru ai+
Do you plan to use them, do you know if there are compatibility issues with civ6 improvements patch?

Also by browsing again I found another mod that seems to be great for addressing the unit upgrade problem:

Strategic resource and tech tree rebalance mod lite (On Reddit )-

I was wondering if you had seen it or if not what thoughts you would have on this one and if there would be compatibility issues?

Sorry again for just being an observer and inquirer for now, i will soon be part of your beta testers :) - thanks a lot again for the work, I am really keen on playing a game that adress some of the flaws that we see at launch, and I cannot wait to play!

If you're looking at other ideas for yield from sea tiles, here's another mod that harbour give +2 adjacent food, next upgrade gives production and the last gives gold.. Might be a bit better balance wise instead of all sea tiles, but it's just a suggestion :)

Hey, I just found this and started trying it. It addresses most of the same balance issues I was thinking about tackling, and so far I like it quite a bit.

A few suggestions, if you're interested in doing more:
Pantheons. Some of them seem pretty good, but a lot are just ... a tiny yield boost to a resource type, not enough for me to alter my play. I had a start with 5 Stone around my first few cities and I still looked at Standing Stones and said, nah, I don't care. Imho, pantheons should be fairly narrow (not a fan of the generic +10% growth) but strong enough to influence play in the correct circumstances. Reeds and Marshes is one of the best designed -- marshes and floodplains tend to clump, so you can get several, and adding a hammer makes them strong enough that I'll change my settling decisions to capitalize.

The rigid 6-tile range of Industrial Zone buildings. They might be overpowered anyway, but the abrupt cutoff between 6 and 7 means that I have to account for future IZ's when I'm deciding where to place my cities in 2000 BC. I would suggest that the Factory gives 3 hammers to city centers within 4 tiles, 2 to cities that are 5 tiles away, and 1 to cities 6 tiles away. And the Power Plant give hammers to districts within 6 tiles: 2 to each IZ (including its own), 1 to each city center, Harbor, Aerodrome and Spaceport. So a densely industrialised region will benefit strongly, a junk city in the interstices won't gain nearly as much, and incentive-distorting sharp cutoff effects are removed.

Thank you for the mod!

Good work on the mod! Made the early game much more enjoyable for me.

What do you think of Military Engineers getting 4 or more uses instead of just 2? Building some roads is quite a chore if you decide to play wide on a large map.

Also, the civics tech tree needs some tweaking. In the two games I've played, I still had my crossbows and pikemen in the modern era and I wasn't even building theatre districts.

Thanks for the mod. I was here to check for possibilities to change production and research cost for myself.
But this changes are all looking very nice and useful. I will give it a try for my next game. :)

Hello Xaviar and first of all thanks a lot for the great work!

I am a bit particular in here since I was on holiday when the game launched, still not back and can't wait to get hold of my copy. But I spent a great deal of night hours browsing the forums for reviews and first impressions and I will definitely get my game as soon as I'm back.

Your mod looks great for addressing balance, especially sea tiles, and production vs science. I plan to use it after my first game in vanilla.

As most of the complaints rise also around AI improvement namely unit upgrade and AI behavior I just wanted to have your opinion on the following mods
Delnar ai cleanup mode
Siesta guru ai+
Do you plan to use them, do you know if there are compatibility issues with civ6 improvements patch?

Also by browsing again I found another mod that seems to be great for addressing the unit upgrade problem:

Strategic resource and tech tree rebalance mod lite (On Reddit )-

I was wondering if you had seen it or if not what thoughts you would have on this one and if there would be compatibility issues?

Sorry again for just being an observer and inquirer for now, i will soon be part of your beta testers :) - thanks a lot again for the work, I am really keen on playing a game that adress some of the flaws that we see at launch, and I cannot wait to play!

The various AI mods are fully compatible with Improvements Patch.

AI is very difficult to mod, so I'm happy to leave it to those much more knoweldgable then me (such as Delnar). I think the AI in Civ 6 is in pretty bad shape and I advocate and fully support those authors who are trying to improve the AI.

Thanks for the mod!

Is there any plans to fix chop production boost and units selling cost?
Any planned AI tweaks?

Yes to selling cost.

This mod will aways be compatible with AI mods. So I will leave ai modding to the experts. The intention would be to use one of those ai mods alongside this mod.

Good work on the mod! Made the early game much more enjoyable for me.

What do you think of Military Engineers getting 4 or more uses instead of just 2? Building some roads is quite a chore if you decide to play wide on a large map.

Also, the civics tech tree needs some tweaking. In the two games I've played, I still had my crossbows and pikemen in the modern era and I wasn't even building theatre districts.

Agree that military engineers need some love. Will get to unit balance after the more game enjoyment breaking issues are addressed.

Thanks for the mod. I was here to check for possibilities to change production and research cost for myself.
But this changes are all looking very nice and useful. I will give it a try for my next game. :)

Research costs can be modified in the .SQL file. Production costs apart from districts haven't been modified.

I think i found an error in policies.xml. It was preventing my mod from launching when i tried to integrate it.

<Row>
<ModifierId>NAVIGATION_ROYALDOCKYARDGOLD</ModifierId>
<ModifierType>MODIFIER_PLAYER_DISTRICTS_ADJUST_YIELD_MODIFIER</ModifierType>
<SubjectRequirementSetId>CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD</SubjectRequirementSetId>
</Row>

CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD should be DISTRICT_IS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD

EDIT: Never mind. CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD is in Districts.xml which i'm not using.

I think i found an error in policies.xml. It was preventing my mod from launching when i tried to integrate it.

<Row>
<ModifierId>NAVIGATION_ROYALDOCKYARDGOLD</ModifierId>
<ModifierType>MODIFIER_PLAYER_DISTRICTS_ADJUST_YIELD_MODIFIER</ModifierType>
<SubjectRequirementSetId>CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD</SubjectRequirementSetId>
</Row>

CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD should be DISTRICT_IS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD

EDIT: Never mind. CITY_HAS_ROYAL_DOCKYARD is in Districts.xml which i'm not using.

Yep - that code is actually not needed. Turns our royal dockyards have the same ID type as harbors.

Because you managed to give the builders a new trait, i want to suggest a rework of units sight. As i already mentioned i for example decreased the warriors sight level by 1 and made the scouts sight-range +1. I think vision should be a worthy tactical value, especially in battles. Fighters sight range should be lower, to make ambushing more easy. Scouts should be considered a important class to keep the enemy in sight. So perhaps you could in a first step adjust units sight-range. In a second step you could add for example a trait to rangers and scouts to go in a watchful stance, where their sightrange is increased by 2 or so. What do you think?

Because you managed to give the builders a new trait, i want to suggest a rework of units sight. As i already mentioned i for example decreased the warriors sight level by 1 and made the scouts sight-range +1. I think vision should be a worthy tactical value, especially in battles. Fighters sight range should be lower, to make ambushing more easy. Scouts should be considered a important class to keep the enemy in sight. So perhaps you could in a first step adjust units sight-range. In a second step you could add for example a trait to rangers and scouts to go in a watchful stance, where their sightrange is increased by 2 or so. What do you think?

I'm hesitant to play with any values that could make the tactical AI even worse. Also worried that it might make early exploring tedious.

I'm hesitant to play with any values that could make the tactical AI even worse. Also worried that it might make early exploring tedious.
Yeah not to sound like an ass, but reducing sight sounds like a terrible idea ;)
I approve to the AI problems, though i think it would give multiplayer-matches some extra tactical decisions. Concerning early exploration: You're right for the first 10 turns, but then the scout's increased sightrange (perhaps my former commentary was a bit cloudy regarding this) makes it way faster.

Last edited:
Was hesitant to add a mod that changes base gameplay / balance too much especially since the game came out not too long ago but I decided to give it a go.
Currently in a multiplayer session with 2 friends and a few AI 125 turns in and I wanted to share some thoughts:
[Island Plates / High Sea Level / Standard Size / Online Speed / Score Off]

The policies being consolidated into more impactful ones have made the civics tree substantially better and they've been grouped together nicely. Even policies oriented towards the same victory (culture for example) can be difficult to choose which one would be more beneficial and it's been pretty damn fun. Perhaps, in time it might -- but as of right now I can't quite find a "meta" with these new policies like I could in the vanilla game and I'm enjoying that feeling quite a bit. Truthfully, I imagine Firaxis combining these policies together in some future DLC anyway; there aren't enough slots in governments to justify just how weak some of the vanilla policies are, and adding more slots to governments would increase flexibility, but at the sake of making things more tedious. So Kudos.

Harbors adding production to tiles has also been super useful, but I recommend changing it to only +2 production on tiles adjacent to the harbor. I'm a coastal / island city kind of person, but every coast/ocean/lake tile giving +1 production seems a bit much, and making it more harbor oriented would force people to think just a tiny bit more about placement, which I feel like the developers of the game intended.

Boosting the creation of districts by 20% is a great way to get empires and low productivity cities rolling a lot faster, fun being able to use this as any Civ. I imagine Aztecs / China really kicking ass with this, but I'd be wary about how this scales later into the game since you'd been messing with the district production modifier (particularly since mid game builders are going to have 5+ charges.) Maybe changing around the numbers to 10%(All) / 30% (Aztec)? Not sure, needs testing.

Didn't try out Oligarchy, but I think the changing up governments is an awesome idea. Just curious why you put those changes on Oligarchy as opposed to Autocracy, which seems more "tall" oriented anyway?

Look forward to seeing: More Governments, possibly some changes to espionage-related policies.

Overall, great work. Keep it up.

Last edited:
New large update coming soon:
- Cool new economic policies and changes.
- City state changes that reduce the first envoy bonus so that players don't get massive starting advantage or disadvantage depending on luck factors such as many city states being close-by (for example in vanilla if you find 2 scientific city states, you have 3x faster research then everyone else.)
- Theocracy gov bonus overhaul.
- Large polish pass on Military Policies, allowing players to specialize a bit better militarily. Hopefully it will make military policies feel a little more meaningful.

Coming soon in future updates:
- Great people improvements, especially more permanent bonuses.
- New buildings.

Was hesitant to add a mod that changes base gameplay / balance too much especially since the game came out not too long ago but I decided to give it a go.
Currently in a multiplayer session with 2 friends and a few AI 125 turns in and I wanted to share some thoughts:
[Island Plates / High Sea Level / Standard Size / Online Speed / Score Off]

The policies being consolidated into more impactful ones have made the civics tree substantially better and they've been grouped together nicely. Even policies oriented towards the same victory (culture for example) can be difficult to choose which one would be more beneficial and it's been pretty damn fun. Perhaps, in time it might -- but as of right now I can't quite find a "meta" with these new policies like I could in the vanilla game and I'm enjoying that feeling quite a bit. Truthfully, I imagine Firaxis combining these policies together in some future DLC anyway; there aren't enough slots in governments to justify just how weak some of the vanilla policies are, and adding more slots to governments would increase flexibility, but at the sake of making things more tedious. So Kudos.

Harbors adding production to tiles has also been super useful, but I recommend changing it to only +2 production on tiles adjacent to the harbor. I'm a coastal / island city kind of person, but every coast/ocean/lake tile giving +1 production seems a bit much, and making it more harbor oriented would force people to think just a tiny bit more about placement, which I feel like the developers of the game intended.

Boosting the creation of districts by 20% is a great way to get empires and low productivity cities rolling a lot faster, fun being able to use this as any Civ. I imagine Aztecs / China really kicking ass with this, but I'd be wary about how this scales later into the game since you'd been messing with the district production modifier (particularly since mid game builders are going to have 5+ charges.) Maybe changing around the numbers to 10%(All) / 30% (Aztec)? Not sure, needs testing.

Didn't try out Oligarchy, but I think the changing up governments is an awesome idea. Just curious why you put those changes on Oligarchy as opposed to Autocracy, which seems more "tall" oriented anyway?

Look forward to seeing: More Governments, possibly some changes to espionage-related policies.

Overall, great work. Keep it up.

Great feedback, thank you.

In the last update I toned down the District production decrease in modifier (that is, reduced the discount resulting in higher production, but still lower then Vanilla.). This is mostly due to the new feature of workers being able to add production to District building, which overall I feel is a great way to get low-prod/new cities started. Districts are now more like 10% cheaper in production, instead of 25% cheaper.

My goal for policies is to make the player feel like they want them all but have to make difficult choices to fill their limited slots. I feel like we are getting very close to this. I still have to look at Diplomatic policies, which I haven't touched thus far.

I'd love to make that harbor change unfortunately it's not doable with the current game code. I think that it's important to remember than ocean tiles have only 1 base yield, so in reality the harbor bonus is only helping coastal tiles, since ocean tiles are still bad.

By my count if you have a harbor, a coastal tile is about the same yields as an unimproved forest or hill tile. If you get the public works policy, that increases it to about the same as an improved forest tile. For the most part I'm pretty happy with this, especially when you consider that you only have a few coastal tiles mixed with ocean tiles, which are lower yield.

Top Bottom