[MOD] FexFX - Bigger & Longer

wow, I guess its a case of me reading that the way I wanted to...
Man...
That's just wrong!
:p
Incidentally, are you playing Civ in English or another language?

Interesting!
I've not managed Rifling before like 1300 so far!
Then again I tend to diversify my tech a lot...
Did you make a b-line for rifling or something?

I know I have heard reports in the normal game of people launching for Alpha Centari in the year 12xxad...

For example, right now I am in 1666 and the most advanced Civ is just now using Cavalry.

FexFX said:
wow, I guess its a case of me reading that the way I wanted to...
Man...
That's just wrong!
:p
Incidentally, are you playing Civ in English or another language?

In English

Wow...Just no explanation for this behaviour at all!
I've had some oddness with various mods which either cured itself eventually or was cured by changing which folder the mod was in...but I haven't had to replace anything yet...

I think the pathing logic for the mod folder has some serious bugs right now!

Just to clarify, I did replace the original game files, I didn't put them in any mod folder. I tried using both mod folders, but neither worked. I think this is a reasonable method as long as you're careful about backing up files, and accept that if anything goes wrong you'll need to do a reinstall. A small price to pay for using this mod ;)

I came back to say though, what a wonderful time I'm playing this mod :) I'm playing an epic grand game, large continents, with 5 AI factions and myself as Gandhi. I've found myself on a relatively small continent with the Romans. So far things are peaceful, and are likely to stay that way since we are all Hindus. Had an entertaining battle with the barbarians that I've almost finished defeating - they kept setting up home at places I wanted to build cities which is handy, less settlers to train :) Can't wait to see what the other continents look like.

So far, I think the pace of the game and unit production speed are perfect. Thanks for making this game a whole lot better for me.

FexFX said:
Interesting!
I've not managed Rifling before like 1300 so far!
Then again I tend to diversify my tech a lot...
Did you make a b-line for rifling or something?

I know I have heard reports in the normal game of people launching for Alpha Centari in the year 12xxad...

For example, right now I am in 1666 and the most advanced Civ is just now using Cavalry.
no bee lining, but i did trade a lot with other civs. now its about 1450-1500 and im in the modern era. and im actually BEHIND in the tech race!

Perhaps the cost of upgrading units should be scaled down in accordance with their lower production costs? My empire can create several units per turn, but it can only afford to upgrade 1 unit per turn, and that's with 80% wealth.

Also, maybe increase time for golden age accordingly? Only 11 turns. Finally, along same lines, increase science points you get for consuming a great person to discover a technology - otherwise it makes most great minds appear a bit stupid ;)

Strakha said:
Perhaps the cost of upgrading units should be scaled down in accordance with their lower production costs? My empire can create several units per turn, but it can only afford to upgrade 1 unit per turn, and that's with 80% wealth.

Also, maybe increase time for golden age accordingly? Only 11 turns. Finally, along same lines, increase science points you get for consuming a great person to discover a technology - otherwise it makes most great minds appear a bit stupid ;)

The upgrade cost is debateable. Afterall, it depends on how much you are upgrading! :) Going from a horse archer to a tank will cost you big bucks per unit.
:)
I have not looked into the balance on this all that much but so far it feels a bit more spendy but about right...afterall, you do have more than twice the number of turns to generate money to upgrade units...and more than twice the ammount of time between techs...

As to great people...I have considered this and I am still considering this. As it stands now great people tend to give you a bit more than half a tech each in the Renaissance which does not feel unreasonable, and it slows tech rushing...Because I did not lower the produciton of Great people by as much as I increased the researching of techs...the result is that you get more great people but they are less effective...

The year is 1866.

That Son of a Motherless dog Napolean thought to wage a brief war with me, but I beat his troops soundly, losing only a few farms but no cities. After the war was over, that smarmy bastard decided to encroach on my territory by building a city in a nearly uninhabitable location between two of the cities I had taken from the pathetic english! This small hamlet was like a mote of dust in my eye, a thing not to be tollerated! I pondered crushing him, however as I had just sued for peace, declaring war would be unseemly.

Pondering this predicament, I chose to dispatch a settler accompanied by my finest troops, and my greatest artist to a nearby patch of open ground. It was in truth a jungle whic I had no interest in, but Napolean had sparked my ire.

I erected a town just to spit him and then instructed my artist to create a masterpiece to make the gods weep! The result was very satisfying. Napoleans folly is now so thoroughly surrounded by the culture of the greek people that the people of his town are detined to become mine.

Having allowed much of my military to founder during the period of relative peace following my conquest of the english, I decided it was time to take a few years off from my pursuit of railroads, and threw everything I could into amassing enough wealth to bring every troop in my military up to modern standards. I quickly amassed a fortune with which to accomplish this.

Now I am playing the waiting game.
Soon I will have railroads, and then tanks.
When that happens I will build battleships with which to spread the way of the greeks to all of the lesser peoples of the world.

I think I shall begin by slaughtering that pompous arse Napolean!

great Mod, good work. i was playin game last nite. but it wouldnt load today!! any explanation?

Gselwizzle said:
great Mod, good work. i was playin game last nite. but it wouldnt load today!! any explanation?

Try moving it to the MOD folder in the MAIN game directory.

The one in My Documents is buggy.

Hmm, everytime I attempt to load this mod I get this error.

Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Lastest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings Parameters:

width = 1280
height = 1024
flags = 0xc
hwnd -0x60158
adaptrid =0
deviceid =1

Funny thing is the vanilla game, and every other mod I have tried works fine.

Pshanksta said:
Hmm, everytime I attempt to load this mod I get this error.

Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Lastest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings Parameters:

width = 1280
height = 1024
flags = 0xc
hwnd -0x60158
adaptrid =0
deviceid =1

Funny thing is the vanilla game, and every other mod I have tried works fine.

Weird!
That's a render dump!
perhaps FX Huge is more than your vid card can handle?
try lowering your resolution?
Try windowed mode?

Congrads with the downloads. Anyhow I have figured out the compatibilty problem with certain map types. There are a limited number of map options that can be used. There are the six defaults(Duel,Tiny,Small,Standard,Large,Huge) and there is another designed for custom sizes. Anyway in all the map scripts you posted non compatibilty issues for this you'll need to add this to everyplace worldsizetype is mentioned. It'll look like this:

WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_DUEL:
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_TINY:
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_SMALL:
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_STANDARD:
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_LARGE:
WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_HUGE:
WorldSizeTypes.NUM_WORLDSIZE_TYPES:(Dont use FXHUGE; type it as is.)

There are like 15 map scripts to change. All but the Terra Map overrides the XMLs concerning size. You'll have to make this change two to three times in some scripts. :cry:

Playing the 1000 turns Grand on noble, large map, with the Inca
I got to Gunpowder in 700, and start learning Steam Power in 980...

And I do all this being 4th in score...

Some tweaking of the beakers is still needed... :)

Top Bottom