Mod for clearer Miasma?

CreepyD

Chieftain
Anyone up to making that?
I can't be the only one who really struggles to see exactly where the miasma is on the map. I end up mousing over each tile to see where it is!
Some tiles it's ok, but some it's really hidden.
I think it should be red swirls, not green.

I'd give it a go but I got no idea how :)

Here's the code from the trade routes for a starter:

Code:
-- Highlight invalid trade plots
local bHighlightMiasma : boolean = pPlayer:GetGeneralUnitMiasmaHealthDelta() < 0;
for iPlotLoop = 0, Map.GetNumPlots()-1, 1 do
	local pPlot = Map.GetPlotByIndex(iPlotLoop);
	local hexID = ToHexFromGrid(Vector2(pPlot:GetX(), pPlot:GetY()));
	if pPlot:IsVisible(pPlayer:GetTeam(), false) then
		if (bHighlightMiasma and pPlot:HasMiasma()) then
			Events.SerialEventHexHighlight(hexID, true, g_invalidPlotMiasmaColor, g_invalidPlotMiasmaStyle);
		end
	end
end

Hmm! Having Miasma alerts show up when you're preparing to move would be an excellent feature.

Am I the only person who has never had a problem noticing miasma? Maybe it is just a reflex of not looking at the tiles but looking at the tile info in the top right automatically.

Changing the particle effects to Red from Green would probably be the easist way to improve visibility.

I think it's easy to assume you're the "only person who doesn't have a problem", but it's just selection/confirmation bias, really. Those people to whom it is a problem will complain, everyone else will just shrug and carry on without saying anything.

Personally I haven't really had a problem with it. It's caught me out a couple of times, but it's not a big deal. I would still prefer it were coloured purple or red, though.

Unfortunately, these texures aren't reloaded when Reload Landmark System is enabled, so you have to install them manually. I can try making a new art define, but from experience I don't think that'll work.

Here's the manual process:

Extract the zip file below to your Assets folder here:
Code:
[path-to-Steam]\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\

Then you have to edit your config.ini located here:
Code:
C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\
...and set LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1

Got it?

Attachments

• red_miasma.zip
    456.7 KB · Views: 303
  • red_miasma.jpg
    red_miasma.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 870
  • purple_miasma.zip
    456.7 KB · Views: 271
Here's the code from the trade routes for a starter:

Code:
-- Highlight invalid trade plots
local bHighlightMiasma : boolean = pPlayer:GetGeneralUnitMiasmaHealthDelta() < 0;
for iPlotLoop = 0, Map.GetNumPlots()-1, 1 do
	local pPlot = Map.GetPlotByIndex(iPlotLoop);
	local hexID = ToHexFromGrid(Vector2(pPlot:GetX(), pPlot:GetY()));
	if pPlot:IsVisible(pPlayer:GetTeam(), false) then
		if (bHighlightMiasma and pPlot:HasMiasma()) then
			Events.SerialEventHexHighlight(hexID, true, g_invalidPlotMiasmaColor, g_invalidPlotMiasmaStyle);
		end
	end
end

What file is this in? I'd like to make a mod that turns it on permanently, but I can't figure out where it is.

What file is this in? I'd like to make a mod that turns it on permanently, but I can't figure out where it is.

If you're planning on getting into Civ modding, you should definitely get yourself a program capable of performing text searches across multiple files. I personally use notepad++'s "Find in Files" function restricted to the proper directory with *.-file extension- as my filter. To answer your question, that code is on line 252 of the following file:

Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\assets\UI\InGame\Popups\ChooseInternationalTradeRoutePopup.lua

Edit: Why are the forums adding a space in the filepath? :confused:

Why are the forums adding a space in the filepath? :confused:

A space is added to every 50 characters without a space to ensure word wrapping. You can use CODE tags to avoid that behavior, and it will add scrollbars where necessary.

Here's the manual process:

Awesome! I added your red miasma to my game and it makes things SO much better. I was previously playing on arid/desert only just so I could see the darn miasma better, but with the red mist I can play on lush and get a great contrast.

Miasma is still difficult to see, but before it was impossible for me. I went harmony every time just to avoid worrying about it. Hopefully they release a patch to make it easier, but in the meantime you've really made this game more enjoyable for me, thank you so much!

Awesome! I added your red miasma to my game and it makes things SO much better. I was previously playing on arid/desert only just so I could see the darn miasma better, but with the red mist I can play on lush and get a great contrast.

Miasma is still difficult to see, but before it was impossible for me. I went harmony every time just to avoid worrying about it. Hopefully they release a patch to make it easier, but in the meantime you've really made this game more enjoyable for me, thank you so much!

Screenshot! I want red miasma.

I tried my hand at a quick Miasma recolor. I did a kind of rainbowy look so it would show on all the terrain types (purple alone, doesn't show on the purple biome, for example). It looks pretty visible when in-game when it's moving as a cloud.

Spoiler :

Not sure how to package it as an actual mod, I just put mine in the assets folder with load loose files so it shows up even without loading as a mod (which is preferable IMO, then I can use it with friends)

Here's link. Install same as post 7.

I tried my hand at a quick Miasma recolor. I did a kind of rainbowy look so it would show on all the terrain types (purple alone, doesn't show on the purple biome, for example). It looks pretty visible when in-game when it's moving as a cloud.

I think there might be a bug. I installed your mod and suddenly I was drinking a mojito and listening to rave music...

:D

Spoiler :

Not sure how to package it as an actual mod, I just put mine in the assets folder with load loose files so it shows up even without loading as a mod (which is preferable IMO, then I can use it with friends)

Here's link. Install same as post 7.

I'd love to use this mod, but I don't see an assets folder. Could someone point me in the right direction, please? I have a Mac, if it makes any difference (though I'm using the Steam version.)

I'd love to use this mod, but I don't see an assets folder. Could someone point me in the right direction, please? I have a Mac, if it makes any difference (though I'm using the Steam version.)

Ah, nevermind, I found it. Inside the Civ BE app inside the Steam app support folder, not the one in the main Applications folder.

Hmm. I can't figure out what files they replace, though. Dropping them in the assets folder didn't do anything. A search for "miasma" turned up nothing.

See post #7. You'll need to edit config.ini, though I'm not sure where it'll be for a Mac installation.

(The files they replace are packed in the fpk's, these won't actually overwrite anything)

Top Bottom